PDA

View Full Version : Fight Club

Pages : [1] 2

Hugh
04-24-2016, 03:28 PM
First rule of Fight Club is...
Actually there are no rules. If I said not to talk about Fight Club that would be stupid because the club is really just this thread, or more the people who post in this thread. There's no reason not to talk about it, at least amongst ourselves. Especially if the club members want to talk about the club within the club thread, or even outside of it. Even with people who aren't in the club. I have no problem with that. Also everyone is welcome to join the club, and by join the club I mean just be a part of it. You don't have to do anything.
So...
Bones Jones made his return last night, an unimpressive 5 round decision over a guy he would have killed a couple years ago. Ring rust or lost confidence? Both? I hope Cormier kicks his ass.
Think Mcgregor is really retiring? I saw Ben Henderson fighting on a Bellator card the other day. Could Conor go there? Could that shift the power balance finally? Or at least give the UFC some competition?

Darkness
04-25-2016, 02:19 AM
McGregor is actually back on UFC 200. He and the UFC disagreed about media obligations, but it looks like they were able to come to a compromise. Not sure if he'll be able to beat Diaz this time around, but I'm excited to see it.

Bones didn't look fantastic, but he was also essentially in complete control throughout the fight. OSP had some moments and Jones didn't look nearly as dominant as in the past, but I also don't think he was ever in any real danger against a guy known primarily for his power. I'm not sure if Cormier can overcome the reach and size disadvantage to take out Bones. I'll take Bones in the rematch, though I would love to see Cormier thrash him.

As much as I love seeing the top guys fight each other, I feel that Bellator is a better situation for a lot of fighters. The UFC treats most of their fighters like shit and doesn't pay them as much as they probably should. I am in favor of more top fighters moving to Bellator if it helps the fighters make more money. Bellator sometimes puts on a good show and I hope they continue to do well. That being said, Benson got pretty much dominated in his most recent Bellator fight. I only saw a few highlights, but Koreshkov seemed to really take it to him. Askren demolished Koreshkov a few years ago (his only loss) and it's a damn shame that we haven't been able to see Askren test his abilities against the top fighters in the world. I think he would do very well, and could potentially be the UFC WW champ.

Hulky
04-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Is Bones the cocaine one?

The Butcher
04-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Is Bones the cocaine one?

He's the incredibly dominant and talented fighter who was in the news once for cocaine, yes. And he didn't have to look that good Darkness all he had to do was win.

As far as McGregor, i still love the guy. I don't care who he fights. I would love to see him fight Diaz though

Darkness
04-25-2016, 11:28 PM
And he didn't have to look that good Darkness all he had to do was win. That's exactly the point I was getting at, and he looked good doing it (just not as dominant as usual).

Achilles
04-29-2016, 10:19 PM
I actually just got back into teaching fighting and it's causing a pretty large amount of trouble in the local martial arts community. The drama in my life right now is more or less a Karate Kid movie. Will update when I crane kick someone in the face. There is no defense.

(This isn't a joke, I'm dead serious)

Hugh
04-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Is it like when Bruce Lee had to fight Wong Jack Man for the right to teach Kung Fu to the white devils?

Achilles
04-29-2016, 11:18 PM
It literally is, and that's an awesome reference.

My sister's boyfriend owns a Crossfit gym, and he decided he wants to offer a self defense seminar for women, which I used to teach. So I'm helping him build a program as he doesn't know a whole lot about it. His gym is like two miles down two miles down the street from where I used to teach, and my old boss turned up because he saw my name on a flier circulating the local area.

It's become more or less a Cobra Kai scenario.

Hugh
04-29-2016, 11:28 PM
Sweet.
No mercy, Ach.

Hugh
06-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Micheal Bisping is the UFC middleweight champ.

The Butcher
06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I liked Rockhold before this fight, but man, you can't be a smug ass champion with no title defenses, get beat, and then act like that. Horrible guy, horrible character, shitty fight. I can't stand Bisping either, so fuck that whole division. Bring back Rich Franklin.

In better news, Brock Lesnar is back. Will fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200. I am a Lesnar fan. I love watching that division, and he is a MONSTER of a human being. I love his drive, his work ethic, and his big muscles. I don't buy into hype, I didn't get down on the guy for not WINNING EVERY FIGHT EVER (who does that..?) just because he's a big dude. MMA is difficult.. and he put it the work and got some wins.

I'm excited to see if he's improved. I haven't heard shit from Lesnar.. i wonder if he's been training MMA non stop, or if he just decided he wanted back in, or if there was an offer he couldn't refuse.

rainblade
06-07-2016, 03:26 AM
Kimbo Slice, dead at 42:
http://deadspin.com/report-kimbo-slice-is-dead-at-42-1780935173#_ga=1.120796161.825709992.1461464790

"MMA star Kimbo Slice died this evening in Florida from heart failure at the age of 42. Bellator’s CEO confirmed the news to TMZ, saying: 'We are all shocked and saddened by the devastating untimely loss of Kimbo Slice, a beloved member of the Bellator family.' Slice, born Kevin Ferguson, rose to fame in the aughts as a viral street-fight star. He made his MMA debut in 2007, and won his UFC debut in 2009. He continued to fight on and off up until this year, when he knocked out Dada 5000 in February; last year, our Greg Howard wrote about him extensively in a profile of Ken Shamrock, whom he fought in a heavily-promoted Bellator bout."

Sad news. He never dominated trained MMA fighters, but he was no doubt a formidable dude to stand across from. Rest in peace.

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/2/28030/573274-kimbo_slice.jpg

The Butcher
06-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Someone who came from nothing and got a little piece for himself and his family. Everyone who fought with him I think even Shamrock has said he was a great guy. I was a huge fan of his in the beginning, not much to be a fan of late in his "career" but much love for Kimbo Slice.

R.I.P.

rainblade
06-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Someone who came from nothing and got a little piece for himself and his family. Everyone who fought with him I think even Shamrock has said he was a great guy. I was a huge fan of his in the beginning, not much to be a fan of late in his "career" but much love for Kimbo Slice.

R.I.P.

He was a gentle giant, from what I understand. Gotta have love for people who respect the game and are selflessly determined to excel at it.

rainblade
06-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I want to go to a fight just to do this. I love how many people try and fail! hahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GU7HnxbI0c

Nightmarez
06-09-2016, 02:00 AM
Too lazy to google but I'm almost positive Mike Hunt is the joke and Mark Hunt is the fighter...

The Butcher
06-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Too lazy to google but I'm almost positive Mike Hunt is the joke and Mark Hunt is the fighter...

I was on the dope.

Hugh
06-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Wonder boy is a bad motherfucker.

Hugh
07-07-2016, 12:24 AM
So Bones Jones is out of UFC 200. Main event championship fight on maybe the biggest card ever, and he's fails the drug test.
What a fucking dick. I'm so sick of that asshole.

The Butcher
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
fuck these bots (i told the mods to give me the power to ban them but they just talked about how to keep them out instead and that doesn't work, FYI) and FUCK jon jones. What a fucking joke, dude is worse than Aldo.

What a loser.

The Butcher
07-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I feel so bad for D.C. holy shit... loses a tough close fight in the first... then preps TWICE for a return title fight and TWICE he's let down the week of the fight.

Seriously, if I ever see jon jones in the UFC again I'll puke. Bet they feel real fucking dumb for pulling the mcgregor/diaz fight now. even Diaz can stay fucking sober for a fight

The Butcher
07-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Silva vs DC is an acceptable substitute for me.

but Jones should still be banned for AT LEAST 2 years.

Wizzy
07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Jon Jones is a great fighter and it's sad to see him go. I don't think he will ever come back after this one.
Apparently (if you're to believe him) he wasnt even taking anything new. He was pumped for the fight and didn't want to disappoint fans.

He could be lying but what would he actually gain from that? Why would he even care at this point

Hugh
07-08-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's about him gaining anything. Jon Jones has a serious problem and its something we've been seeing for a long time. He could be sabotaging himself because of self-doubt or it's just straight up addiction or any number of other issues, but I don't think he's innocent or unaware in this situation.

Wizzy
07-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I havent been this nervous/excited about a fight in a long time. Thou shall not intentionally provoke the beast

Hugh
07-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Which fight?

Wizzy
07-09-2016, 02:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Xtl5vi6.jpg

Hugh
07-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Mark Hunt hits like a truck and has one of the toughest chins in history. Brock won't be able to survive a boxing match.
But if Brock can get him on his back he might just pound the shit out of him. Brock is insanely explosive for a guy that big. Not sure if age and mileage has slowed him down too much, but neither of them are young. Should be fun.

Wizzy
07-10-2016, 12:38 AM
Brock is the fucking man

Hugh
07-10-2016, 01:20 AM
He whipped ass.

Wizzy
07-10-2016, 02:49 AM
Now if only cm punk would stop putting off his fight..

The Butcher
07-18-2016, 08:38 AM
I really dislike Page... the only fighter like him I've ever liked is McGregor.. but GOD DAMN... this was the most brutal KO I've ever seen in MMA and he did it with ease. I'd love to see him vs Silva..

Brings up the discussion.. should these be illegal? this guy should have died probably... why is he smiling lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstma9sx-yg

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/cyborg-santos-head.jpg

Wizzy
07-21-2016, 02:20 PM
http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/730611-substance-for-which-brock-lesnar-tested-positive-possibly-revealed

i'm sure you've all read about this already but it's extremely disappointing

The Butcher
07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
yeah same thing JJ was pumping. Fuck em both.

"Everyone's on steroids"

The Butcher
08-16-2016, 01:39 PM
who ya got this weekend?

I, of course, have McGregor. I have a $20 bet with the weather guy also. I think either fighter could easily win, it's a great match-up. I am really pulling for Connor for a few reasons.. 1. i can't stand either Diaz brother. I respect them as fighters and for their upbringing.. but i have lost total respect for them as fighters. They've taken the "he we're scrubs and we dont' care" thing way too far. 2. i want the rubber match and 3. i'm worried what'll happen to mcgregor if he loses again.. i want him to stay around.

I think Connor lost the first fight because he was over confident. He was playing with him in the first. I think he believed he could take any of Nates punches and then he ate one and that was it. I don't think he was giving Nate 100% of his punches either. I think this fight is going to be much more telling of the overall competition between the two of them

Wizzy
08-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Conor wasn't ready for Nate's stamina and ability to take a hit last time. conor underestimated him a bit, i think he's got him this time around

Serge
08-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Have any of you seen this controversial decision in the Olympics? Russian Vladimir Nikitin won a unanimous decision against #1 seed Irishman Michael Conlan. Conlan thought he won and gave the judges the finger when the ref raised Nikitin's arm. He went off in post fight interviews.

Full fight here: https://vimeo.com/179093973

I don't see the outrage. I'm a noob but Nikitin clearly wins round one to me. Round 2 I would give to Conlan but it was pretty sloppy and ugly by both fighters. Round 3 I could see going either way, I'd probably give it to Nikitin but I wouldn't have been surprised if the judges gave it to Conlan.

Overall it just seemed like Nikitin had the better defense and did a better job of not letting Conlan land clean shots. Conlan looked like the better fighter and so he got in there at times but he landed a lot of little love taps on a well-defended opponent. Meanwhile, Nikitin did a great job of getting inside and walking Conlan to the rope in round one and while he got worked over in round two he got back to it a little in round three. When his shots connected they also looked like much better punches, feet planted solidly, punch coming from the whole body not just his arms etc.

Was wondering what you all thought since I know yall know the sport better than me.

Wizzy
08-20-2016, 10:02 AM
does anyone think it's possible Diaz and McGregor are just trying to put on the best show they can directed by Dana White? this stuff is ridiculous

i don't think that UFC is turning into WWE or even close to that, but it seems like a lot of drama has been going on pre-fight these days seemingly to build up viewership

Maverik
08-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I don't know if Diaz has that in him. The dude is a complete idiot. His interviews are painful to watch.

Conor is making an ass out of himself though. Curious to see what tantrum he throws if he loses this one too.

rainblade
08-20-2016, 09:41 PM
does anyone think it's possible Diaz and McGregor are just trying to put on the best show they can directed by Dana White? this stuff is ridiculous

i don't think that UFC is turning into WWE or even close to that, but it seems like a lot of drama has been going on pre-fight these days seemingly to build up viewership

I think this is just McGregor's way of getting into his head, but it's not working like it did before because he doesn't have the 'invincibility' he did before. Honestly, though, the shit he's doing doesn't bother me that much because Diaz has been a piece of trash in the past. (Conor isn't being that ridiculous, is he? Diaz simply refuses to give him satisfaction from his taunts.) I'm of the opinion that Diaz was a bit gassed in the first fight, and more or less that he lucked the fuck out. You can tell that Diaz is afraid he'll lose to McGregor because he doesn't talk nearly the amount of shit he did before the first fight, and he has changed his training regimen considerably in order to prepare for this one. You can think, "Well, hey, he's just taking the title shot seriously," and I'm sure you're correct in that assumption. Regardless, his win should not have caused him to lose his arrogance like he has unless he got rocked pretty bad in it.

I don't know if Diaz has that in him. The dude is a complete idiot. His interviews are painful to watch.

Conor is making an ass out of himself though. Curious to see what tantrum he throws if he loses this one too.

Diaz is beyond dumb. That is part of why I think McGregor is going to shit him out tonight. We have to remember the kinds of fighters these guys are. Diaz is a stupid blockhead puncher who beat McGregor on a short-notice fight. McGregor is a seemingly intelligent guy, an MMA prodigy with proven skills and knowledge, and he had to fight someone who he knew relatively nothing about. Smart guys tend to need to put a lot more into their fight preparation than does a dipshit like Diaz, so that they don't overthink their approach or their opponent.

To be fair to Diaz, though, he's really changed himself around. If this new (somewhat modest) approach to the sport is genuine, he could surprise me tonight. If he knows he's stupid, which he probably does, then it seems like he at least hired someone who isn't to train him. You have to respect when someone accepts they're not doing things the right way, and then they change in order to improve despite their own reputation.

rainblade
08-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Holy fuck. Total devastation on the Main Card tonight. Anthony Johnson is scary. His back is scary.

I'd love to see Anthony Johnson pulverize Daniel Cormier, cuz that's what he'd do if they fought.

Wizzy
08-20-2016, 11:53 PM
lol the security in the octagon for the mcgregor/diaz fight is dumb

rainblade
08-21-2016, 12:28 AM
McGregor took it. Had more knock downs and opened Diaz up badly. Diaz had one takedown at the end that didn't do shit. I was unimpressed by Diaz's standup. Total shitshow on his part (messy, gassed multiple times, no balance). McGregor has a stamina problem at 170, apparently.

Edit: Called it. Won by majority decision. 48-47/47-47/48-47. Well deserved victory.

Ahhh, yes, there it is. :) Diaz's true colors shining bright.

Hugh
08-21-2016, 02:19 AM
I'd love to see Anthony Johnson pulverize Daniel Cormier, cuz that's what he'd do if they fought.

If they fought again?
Cormier beat Rumble last year, but it was a war. Not taking anything away from Rumble. He's a badass and I'm a fan, but nobody pulverizes DC. He's the hardest fighter in the UFC to beat up and I'm still not sure why. He's old. Hell, he was kind of old when he started. He's a pure wrestler who didn't even get into MMA until his last twenties. He's probably the smallest light heavyweight in the division.
But he's only lost once in his life and it was a decision to Bones Jones.

rainblade
08-21-2016, 05:47 AM
If they fought again?
Cormier beat Rumble last year, but it was a war. Not taking anything away from Rumble. He's a badass and I'm a fan, but nobody pulverizes DC. He's the hardest fighter in the UFC to beat up and I'm still not sure why. He's old. Hell, he was kind of old when he started. He's a pure wrestler who didn't even get into MMA until his last twenties. He's probably the smallest light heavyweight in the division.
But he's only lost once in his life and it was a decision to Bones Jones.

DC is getting older. Even just one year will show at this age. Sorry, Hugh. :(

And, to be more accurate, Bones annihilated him in the decision. He couldn't get the knockout, but really who cares?

Maverik
08-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Really impressive fight, on both sides. I thought it was called right and its probably the way the first fight should have gone too. McGregor kept his wits about him this time.

Wizzy
08-21-2016, 09:44 AM
3rd and 4th rounds of the McGregor/Diaz fight had me nervous.. thought Diaz could have won it with that last take down in the 5th

gotta love when a fight lives up to the hype

Hugh
08-21-2016, 10:34 AM
DC is getting older. Even just one year will show at this age. Sorry, Hugh. :(

And, to be more accurate, Bones annihilated him in the decision. He couldn't get the knockout, but really who cares?

You're right. DC is old and he'll lose it soon. That's how it goes. Just thought you might have forgotten that they recently fought.

The Butcher
08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Never let it go to the judges. I had the fight scored 2 and 2, so a draw. I am not surprised they gave it to Connor, he had more knockdowns and more damage, more significant strikes. I was worried the takedown in the 5th would seal it for Diaz, glad it did not.

I was the most impressed the entire night with Cowboy though. I've never been a big fan of his I feel like he wastes a lot of potential but he put on a clinic against a strong fighter. The video of that combination belongs in the UFC hall of fame already.

The Butcher
08-22-2016, 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cejRBeyKroU&feature=youtu.be

Wizzy
08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/kYxiRk4.gif

Hugh
08-22-2016, 07:42 PM
That was sweet.

Wizzy
08-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Someone released this little clip of CM Punk training his ground game

http://i.imgur.com/aAnI5JK.gif

The Butcher
08-23-2016, 11:41 AM
wizzy on a roll

Wizzy
09-10-2016, 08:09 PM
if cm punk does lose tonight i hope that he at least puts up a good fight

Wizzy
09-10-2016, 11:24 PM
My god.. so embarassing for punk

Hugh
09-10-2016, 11:59 PM
My god.. so embarassing for punk

Did you expect something else?
I truly give the guy credit for getting in the cage when he absolutely didn't have to. He wanted to challenge himself. It's a man thing. I totally get it.
But I also totally knew he was going to get his fucking ass kicked.

Wizzy
09-11-2016, 12:06 AM
No I knew he was going to lose. I didn't think he was gonna dive into Mickey like an idiot and get the absolute shit kicked out of him

I love the guy. Loved his post fight comments. He's a great guy and I respect him a lot.

Hugh
09-11-2016, 12:11 AM
That's cool. I respect him too just for trying it.
But the UFC is for cage fighters and even the worst ones are the toughest fuckers you've ever met. They're professionals.

Wizzy
09-11-2016, 12:29 AM
That's cool. I respect him too just for trying it.
But the UFC is for cage fighters and even the worst ones are the toughest fuckers you've ever met. They're professionals.

Yup. Absolutely.

Overeem should have kept hitting miocic after he knocked him down early in the round rather than going for a choke. Silly mistake. Lost him the fight

Overeem saying that miocic tapped was such a joke..

The Butcher
09-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Eddie Alvarez is NO JOKE AT ALL in that weight class... This fight scares me almost as much as if it was an Aldo rematch. I don't want these wins to go to Connor's head and get sloppy.

if you thought the Diaz/McGregor fights were good wait until you see this fucking slobberknocker.

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Eddie Alvarez is NO JOKE AT ALL in that weight class... This fight scares me almost as much as if it was an Aldo rematch. I don't want these wins to go to Connor's head and get sloppy.

if you thought the Diaz/McGregor fights were good wait until you see this fucking slobberknocker.

apparently Jose is asking for his release for not getting a rematch with McGregor but I haven't heard anything about this fight until this post. Is McGregor going up in weightclass again? fml

The Butcher
09-29-2016, 12:34 PM
yeah sorry I should have put the rest of the info there, i forgot this topic is dead on the new forum.

Yes, it's McGregor vs Alvarez at 155, for Alvarez belt. UFC is not forcing McGregor to vacate his 145, like they said they would. They didnt' even put Aldo on the card.

Aldo is a fucking crybaby, but I have to admit, he's right. I'd be pissed if I was him too. He's only lost 2 fights in his career, and only 1 in the UFC (to mcgregor). He came back and DESTROYED the interm champ, Frankie Edgar, and was told he'd get a McGregor rematch next. Since then, McGregor has fought TWO fights AT DIFFERENT WEIGHT CLASSES. this one for a title.

So yeah, I don't blame Aldo, but, he's still a little bitch. Always has been always will be. And I did not like the way he fought Edgar, he didn't press the fight one time. He was 100% counter and Edgar never smartened up.

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 12:45 PM
McGregor wasn't nearly as dominant in Welterweight as he is in Featherweight, albeit he fought the same guy twice.... i think he might regret this one

I don't have any comment on Aldo. Was never invested in him, haven't been following UFC/MMA long enough to care. But I will say that if you're gonna quit because your "pride" is too strong, then UFC is probably not the place for you.

The Butcher
09-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I know a lot about Aldo because i was a beck Wreckage fan. Aldo, Cruz and Faber all came from there.

I would not be surprised in any way if either fighter won the McGregor/Alvarez fight. i predict mcgregor being tired, again, except it won't be a lazy ass diaz brother across from him. Alvarez is gonna try to take his head off.

But I'm Team McGregor.

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm behind McGregor 100%, fanboy style.

I just think he thinks he's a God at this point, but I probably would too.

Hugh
09-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Team Notorious.
I think Connor has too much speed for Alvarez. Way too much.

The Butcher
10-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Rousey is back.

12/30, Rousey vs Nunes.

I am PUMPED. Nunes is the 2nd most impressive female fighter Ive seen, behind Rousey.

Get yo popcorn rdy.

Wizzy
11-13-2016, 09:55 AM
McGregor is going to be remembered forever

Hugh
11-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Conor beat Alvarez so easily. Had him timed right away, knocked him down at will. He walked through anything Alvarez managed to throw and put him on his ass 4 times before they called it. It was man against boy.
Nobody has been able to take those punches except Diaz. His power is crazy.

Hugh
11-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Team Notorious.
I think Connor has too much speed for Alvarez. Way too much.

I'm still right about this, but it's not why Conor won. He didn't even need his speed to beat Alvarez.
Textbook counter punching, perfect timing and absolutely no comparison in power. Alvarez has to be really discouraged after that fight. I know these guys believe they can do anything, but inside he has to know there's no way he can beat Conor short of a lucky punch. I mean it was that easy for Conor. Not even interested in seeing a rematch.

Wizzy
11-13-2016, 03:54 PM
i think he might regret this one

lol

The Butcher
11-14-2016, 09:16 AM
http://www.toothlessmma.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2-belts.png

rainblade
12-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Did you guys see Gerald Harris bodyslam Aaron Cobb? Ow.

Hugh
12-31-2016, 02:23 AM
Amanda Numes just beat Rhonda Rousey in 48 seconds.

Hulky
12-31-2016, 03:37 AM
aka this Nunes killed her sport in 48 seconds because the vast majority of people only care about Rousey

Hugh
12-31-2016, 11:46 AM
I think the UFC will survive Ronda Rousey, Hulky.

Maverik
12-31-2016, 12:58 PM
never liked Rousey

glad to see her get her due

Hugh
12-31-2016, 02:49 PM
never liked Rousey

glad to see her get her due

Me neither. I always liked Meisha Tate way more.
Ronda deserves a lot of credit for bringing popularity and attention to women's MMA and showing that it's just as exciting and entertaining as men's MMA. And it is. Unlike other pro sports ( like WNBA, sorry) women's MMA is just as legit as men's.
But like all champs, eventually, the sport evolved beyond her. Now she's been beaten in back to back fights, easily, by opponents she couldn't stand with or physically dominate.
The average person who only cares about Ronda Rousey isn't an MMA fan. He or she is just another person who started paying attention because of her looks/attitude/dominance and some will continue to watch the UFC while others won't.
Fans will keep watching like we always have, and wait for the next big thing to come along.

Maverik
12-31-2016, 03:03 PM
agreed

also glad Garbrandt beat Cruz

I like Garbrandt

Hugh
12-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah. He's a fucking badass.

Maverik
01-08-2017, 01:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dauHeHI7CLU

two great things about this clip:

the guy you want to get knocked the fuck out... actually does!

the number 1 clip is of Kash

The Butcher
01-10-2017, 10:36 AM
FB comes through sometimes with the memories. 7 years ago today, my first MMA fight. Lost by decision after a really close fight and the crowd literally boo'd. I was hooked then, fought a few more times. I miss it, i can't believe it was 7 years ago dang. Great pic here, that's my best buddy slamming the beer behind me when he was walking me out lol.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20475_576627432221_6754697_n.jpg?oh=3dbb61fe5b6c1f f32955dd9c1d7ea31e&oe=5916898C

robberto
02-02-2017, 03:29 AM
Really makes you feel for these idiots. Basically Mayweather and Pacquiao agreed to fight last year and the purse would have been something like 50m UP FRONT. Then they started bickering over the drug testing rules for the fight-Mayweather wanted random testing and Pac said he didnt want any testing within 30 days of the fight. Obviously this raised red flags so Mayweather accused him of using banned substances and Pac sued him. Its a big fing joke.

Hugh
04-09-2017, 12:37 AM
Daniel Cormier just beat Rumble Johnson again, the exact same way he did last time.
Rumble Johnson is a fucking idiot. Dude should be flipping burgers. He's a knockout artist and he dove at DC's waist over and over until he got choked out. Why he decided to grapple the champ is beyond reason, but he retired after so at least we won't have to watch it again. A lot of talent wasted.
Congrats to DC.
The Weidman fight was a clown show. They need to fix that shit.

Nightmarez
04-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Daniel Cormier just beat Rumble Johnson again, the exact same way he did last time.
Rumble Johnson is a fucking idiot. Dude should be flipping burgers. He's a knockout artist and he dove at DC's waist over and over until he got choked out. Why he decided to grapple the champ is beyond reason, but he retired after so at least we won't have to watch it again. A lot of talent wasted.
Congrats to DC.
The Weidman fight was a clown show. They need to fix that shit.

What happened in the Weidman fight?

Hugh
04-09-2017, 03:37 AM
Weidman had both hands on the mat. Mousasi kneed him in the face, and in the process pulled up on his neck, causing one of Weidman's hands to come off the mat, but just barely. So the ref thought it was an illegal knee, so did Weidman, and jumped in. He called timeout, asked Weidman if he was ok and gave him time to recover, but the replay showed Weidman's hands weren't both touching the mat when the knee landed.
Long story short, Weidman couldn't continue and Mousasi got the TKO, but they only recently changed the rule and I think it'll cause problems. The rule only exists for fighter safety. No other reason. If the rule is you can't knee an opponent in the face if he has 2 hands in contact with the mat, then you shouldn't be able to pull his hands up in the same motion of kneeing his face. At least that's what I think. It defeats the purpose, and will obviously be difficult to officiate. This was a co-main event and ended in a shit show. It's easier to either get rid of the rule and say all knees are legal, or no knees if the opponent has 2 hands on the mat PERIOD. If the ref thinks a fighter is milking too long or exploiting the rule or stalling, then he can intervene, warn or whatever. But the technique of pulling the opponents body up from the neck AS you deliver the knee, and pulling his hands off the mat at the sane time, is going to make the rule hard to officiate I think.
I also think they should throw the rule out. Knees are legal in the UFC. If you don't want to get kneed in the face, protect your face.

Hugh
05-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Pretty good card Saturday. The fight between Alvarez and Porier might have been fight of the night, but got declared a no contest because of an illegal knee by Alvarez. Don't know why he wasn't DQ'd. It wasn't intentional but still illegal. Still think they need to do something about knees to the head. Make them legal or illegal, but choose.
Frankie Edgar destroyed Yair Rodriguez. Yair had no answer for The Answer. Not for his ground game. Frankie took him down and pounded him until the doctor said Yair couldn't continue. His face was broken.
Demian Maia won his 6th straight and finally is getting his title shot, his first the Anderson Silvia shit show.
Joanna Jtek ( her name has too many letters ) put on another striking clinic and title defense. She's so good. One of the best strikers in the UFC period.
Miocic played with Junior Dos Santos like a cat plays with a mouse, but it didn't last long. Junior threw down the gauntlet but it was all for show. He ran from the opening bell, and got TKO'd in the first round. He didn't want to be there. The huge smile on his face as he hugged Stipe after showed that. He was just glad it was over.
It's weird to see a guy like Junior put on a performance like that. Completely phoned it in. Just collecting a paycheck. I've always read he had trouble getting motivated and staying hungry and some said he just doesn't have the killer instinct. Just a really sweet guy trapped in the body of a gladiator.

The Butcher
05-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Joanna is a beast.

Hugh
06-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Max Holloway just beat Jose Aldo in Brazil. Great fight. Aldo came out sharp and calm and started tagging Max early, but Max found his range after the first round. It was incredible watching him slowly chip away at Aldo figure him out.
Happy for Max. He's been after Aldo for a long time and would not be denied.

The Butcher
06-16-2017, 02:35 PM
former UFC fighter Matt Hughes in a very bad car accident with a train. airlifted, head trauma.

The Butcher
06-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Official Family Statement

Matthew Hughes, Audra Hughes, Annette Fuller, Emily Hays Hughes

Our family is overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support. Please understand that there are many false reports out there by people who say they are close to the family. We will post another update here when we have more news. Matt is stable and has no broken bones or internal injuries. He has some minor lacerations and bruising and is currently being weaned from his ventilator. He is not yet awake and not responding as we would like to see but we see the fight in him. Matts strength and determination along with God's Mercy and Grace will bring him through this. We ask that you all continue to pray.

Hugh
06-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Curious to hear how his car collided with a moving train.

The Butcher
06-21-2017, 02:55 PM
pretty sure he can be the only one at fault in that situation

Hugh
06-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Seems like it.

Hugh
07-30-2017, 02:22 AM
I feel bad for DC. He was doing so well against Jones but that head kick ruined him. Good for Jones getting back, I guess.
The fight between Cowboy Ceronne and Robbie Lawler was epic. What a war. Could have gone either way.
Tyrone Woodley needs to fight on free cards for a while, champ or not. He's boring as fuck. Can't stand him.

Maverik
07-30-2017, 07:29 AM
none of my friends wanted to really watch the fight, so I just watched the highlights and it looked boring as fuck

so not too sad about missing it

was it better than it looked?

Hugh
07-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Probably not much better.

Hugh
07-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Also Joe Rogan apologized for interviewing DC after the fight. I'm glad he did because I've always liked Rogan and at the time it seemed like a total dick move, but he admitted that he messed up and wasn't thinking. DC was really fucked up after that head kick and probably doesn't even remember the interview. He was really emotional. Rogan shouldn't have shoved a mic in his face and he knows that, but everyone makes mistakes. At least he owned it.

Achilles
08-05-2017, 11:01 PM
So I'm stepping back into a ring a week from tomorrow. It's been a few years since I've thrown a punch at someone with the intent to hurt them, so it's going to be odd. I'm not fighting competitively, but I'm moving back into downtown Boston this coming fall when my fiance moves back up here from New Orleans. I've been doing a lot of work on myself as I've had a lot of problems over the years, and it's important to me that I do things for me.

I found a gym that is very highly touted, and I went there today. They recognized real fast during the free intro that I wasn't a beginner and scheduled a day for me to fight their pro fighters next weekend. I'm going to get my ass kicked, to be honest. I specialize in more Krav Maga style fighting so I'm going to get schooled. But I'm beyond excited about it. I can kick box with the best of them and I'll be going toe to toe with some international names, and I'm super excited about it.

rainblade
08-22-2017, 06:59 PM
It was boring watching Jones end DC's career, but I'm so fucking pumped for McGregor v. Mayweather. There's so much about it that I love, love, love. McGregor is the king of trash talk and Mayweather can't talk shit to save his life. Both fighters are gifted but McGregor is the far better offensive mind, and he looks absolutely scary at 154. I can't wait to see him snipe at Mayweather and taunt him in the ring. If Floyd thinks he's ever come up against a challenge like McGregor, he's going to be bewildered come Saturday night.

I like McGregor in this fight for his youth, his heart, his fighting weight, and his willingness to put something like this together just to get in the ring with boxing's most divisive superstar.

Maverik
08-22-2017, 08:31 PM
how is Mayweather divisive?

he's 49-0

seems pretty straightforward to me

Hugh
08-22-2017, 11:53 PM
How is Conor Mcgregor going to beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match?

Hugh
08-23-2017, 12:07 AM
I just heard on ESPN that Jones failed his drug test before the DC fight. It's all over the internet now. Dana White acknowledged it.
What the fuck?

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 08:17 AM
How is Conor Mcgregor going to beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match?

No one is going to fight Floyd like Conor in Floyd's life, ever. He's going to taunt him. He's going to make Floyd come for him. Left hand. Welcome to a fight.

It can happen, believe.

I just heard on ESPN that Jones failed his drug test before the DC fight. It's all over the internet now. Dana White acknowledged it.
What the fuck?

Think it was the post fight one, he passed the 2 pre fight, but i may be wrong. Either way, he's done.

Maverik
08-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Conor is just going to hope and pray he gets a lucky left, which I don't think he will

I also don't think he'll make it 12 rounds. He got gassed against Diaz when he lost and I think he's going to be in over his head when Mayweather plays around with him for the first few rounds. He's not very good at all, but Mayweather is old and both of them just want to get paid, so we'll see. I expect the fight to suck, but will be fun to watch.

Hugh
08-23-2017, 09:33 AM
No one is going to fight Floyd like Conor in Floyd's life, ever. He's going to taunt him. He's going to make Floyd come for him. Left hand. Welcome to a fight.

It can happen, believe.

I don't see it. Conor is a great fighter but it's pretty obvious what his motivation is here. No cage fighter has ever made the kind of money he's making for this fight. It's next level huge. Even if he loses ( when ) he can't lose.
The drop to 8oz gloves doesn't even help him, in my opinion. He can try to utilize the clinch and his size/ strength advantage to possibly tire Mayweather out and punch off the breaks, but we've seen Conor gas in fights and Floyd went the distance routinely. Floyd frustrated the best boxers in the world for years.
Conor can do some things, but unfortunately it'll be about what he can't do. He can't fight Floyd. He has to box him. He can Karate Kid pose and taunt and do cartwheels and lay on the ground in his gaurd if he wants, but he still has to outbox Floyd Mayweather to win this fight and I don't think that's possible.

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Conor is just going to hope and pray he gets a lucky left, which I don't think he will

I also don't think he'll make it 12 rounds. He got gassed against Diaz when he lost and I think he's going to be in over his head when Mayweather plays around with him for the first few rounds. He's not very good at all, but Mayweather is old and both of them just want to get paid, so we'll see. I expect the fight to suck, but will be fun to watch.

Have you ever watched Conor fight? He doesn't "hope and pray" for anything. He works his fucking ass off. I wish people would give him more credit. Doesnt' matter if he wins this or not, the man works his ASS OFF for this. He has more drive and ambition than any fighter I've ever seen aside from the Diaz brothers who pissed theirs away with their shit attitudes. McGregor is a genius, he knows how to use his personality to get what he wants. His first "big money fight" in the UFC was $60,000. Now he's in the super fight of the century and he's going to clear at least 50 mil, right? (i really don't know the figures)

And no, there's NO FUCKING WAY this fight is going 12 rounds. No fucking way in hell heaven or Earth. That's a long fucking time.

I don't see it. Conor is a great fighter but it's pretty obvious what his motivation is here. No cage fighter has ever made the kind of money he's making for this fight. It's next level huge. Even if he loses ( when ) he can't lose.
The drop to 8oz gloves doesn't even help him, in my opinion. He can try to utilize the clinch and his size/ strength advantage to possibly tire Mayweather out and punch off the breaks, but we've seen Conor gas in fights and Floyd went the distance routinely. Floyd frustrated the best boxers in the world for years.
Conor can do some things, but unfortunately it'll be about what he can't do. He can't fight Floyd. He has to box him. He can Karate Kid pose and taunt and do cartwheels and lay on the ground in his gaurd if he wants, but he still has to outbox Floyd Mayweather to win this fight and I don't think that's possible.

I don't expect Conor to win this boxing match, but I do expect him to hit floyd, hard. I expect him to taunt him, i expect him to make Mayweather make at least 1 mistake he's never made in a fight before. I expect things, and I can't wait.

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 10:07 AM
You guys see this washed up scrub Malignaggi try and get in Conor's face in Vegas yesterday? Lol.

"You got your ass whooped get over it" is all conor kept repeating 1 inch from his face.

OMG dude, i know it's your chance to get famous but Jesus... be less pathetic. Or you know, be a better boxer so you don't look so bad getting beat up by someone who doesn't know how to box apparently

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sportal_com_au/5d/b/-malignaggi_48j96b7tw12c1n08gseoiyj7o.jpg?t=1834094 901&w=960&quality=70

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 10:08 AM
how is Mayweather divisive?

he's 49-0

seems pretty straightforward to me

Oy....

This would take a lot of explaining.

Anyone can go 49-0 when you have everything you need to win at your finger tips and you cherry pick the fights you want when you want that are guaranteed wins, is basically the gists.

Not denying he's a talented fighter.. but just think of old school TAO days. There were the guys like DK who would wreck anyone no matter what their stats were vs the opponents stats, that's Conor.

And then there were others who would get 1500+ or so and then protect their stats as if it were their lives. They wouldn't play ANYONE that wasn't a guarantee to increase their stats.

That is Floyd.

Maverik
08-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Mayweather is going to push it to 12 rounds

He knows McGregor is gonna get gassed and make a ton of mistakes.

Mayweather is a much smarter fighter than McGregor.

and yes, I was dying laughing when Diaz submitted him

watched every UFC fight he headlined

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 10:51 AM
EDIT: oy. Not getting trolled by that nonsense.

Mayweather may be a smarter BOXER, but he certainly is not a smarter FIGHTER.

This is heavily heavily heavily against Conor McGregor. And he could not care less. He's chomping at the bit to fight.

I love it.

Maverik
08-23-2017, 11:09 AM
true, smarter boxer, since he's not a 'fighter'

and he's chomping at the bit to *get paid

he wouldn't have ever taken this fight if he wasn't making a killing on it

Hugh
08-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Body shots. There's no way Conor will be able to withstand the body shots. Boxing and MMA is way different in that way. You see guys go the body in MMA, but nothing like boxing. Boxers are so conditioned to give and take those shots.
I'd love nothing more than to see Conor knock Floyd the fuck out, but he won't.

Maverik
08-23-2017, 11:17 AM
I concur

Maverik
08-23-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't think there will be a knockout at all, but I would very much like to see one of them see stars

The Butcher
08-23-2017, 12:59 PM
true, smarter boxer, since he's not a 'fighter'

and he's chomping at the bit to *get paid

he wouldn't have ever taken this fight if he wasn't making a killing on it

ermagawd I'm trying not to get triggered but you're trying to trigger me....

@ Hugh - true, but conor has some devastating body shots too. And they are using 8oz gloves

But yeah, I think Conor has never faced someone more prone to go for the body than Floyd, and Floyd has faced many people who have done nothing but try and get to the body. That advantage goes to Floyd

Like most of the advantages in this BOXING MATCH.

Sanosuke
08-23-2017, 08:36 PM
I don't under stand how the smarter boxer / smarter fighter thing is even coming into play. Like, are you not fighting someone if your fists are trying to collide with someone as hard as you can?

McGregor could work his ass off for the next 2 years and would probably still lose this fight. Mayweather has been boxing longer than McGregor has fought by a long shot, then he expects to train for a few months and hopes his conditioning and boxing skills can be enough to defeat one of the best at their sport in our life time? I don't think so.

I'd be in Vegas too betting on Conor to throw a random left and KO Mayweather out just so I can win stupid amounts of money.

Maverik
08-23-2017, 08:39 PM
I would absolutely place that bet as well

Maverik
08-24-2017, 03:00 PM
as silly as this fucking fight is going to be, it just got more ridiculous

look at this stupid belt they created

http://talking-baws.hoqt2ws7j.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Optimized-Money.png

Hulky
08-24-2017, 11:56 PM
I was just thinking Mayweather may be the greatest schoolyard bully of all time. He's beat people up for roughly the same value as 1,000,000,000 cartons of chocolate milk from the school cafeteria.

Maverik
08-24-2017, 11:58 PM
you are one of a kind, Hulky

Sanosuke
08-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Tank Davis is a retard for going into the fight missing weight to vacate his title then proceed to beat that dude's ass

Maverik
08-27-2017, 12:37 AM
much better fight than expected!

super fun

KBHoleN1
08-27-2017, 12:54 AM
That was fun.

Serge
08-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Man, who could have predicted that Mayweather would fight someone who posed absolutely zero threat to him? He's never done that.

Hulky
08-27-2017, 01:05 AM
I liked it. Happy Mayweather is 50-0, would have looked like ass to boxing if the MMA guy came in and won. Way closer fight than I thought it was going to be.

Maverik
08-27-2017, 01:06 AM
damn, they should have let him go another round

ended as expected, bummer

Burnout278
08-27-2017, 01:07 AM
Man, who could have predicted that Mayweather would fight someone who posed absolutely zero threat to him? He's never done that.

http://m.memegen.com/rkrz7b.jpg

Sanosuke
08-27-2017, 01:14 AM
That showtime scorecard was absolute trash. McGregor at most won the first and second round. Glad the judges scored it properly.

Sanosuke
08-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Also, it absolutely does not matter if McGregor made it 10 rounds. Mayweather hadn't found in 2 years and is 40 fucking years old and hadn't KO'd anyone since 2011. McGregor fans are so obnoxious.

Sanosuke
08-27-2017, 01:17 AM
Not even a Mayweather fan, just enjoy boxing. I thought the Jack/Clevery fight was way better than the Mayweather/McGregor fight.

Burnout278
08-27-2017, 01:18 AM
I am just here for the salt.

Serge
08-27-2017, 01:24 AM
Not salty that Mayweaher won, just salty that he hasn't fought anyone who could actually beat him since I graduated high school.

Sanosuke
08-27-2017, 01:43 AM
Not salty that Mayweaher won, just salty that he hasn't fought anyone who could actually beat him since I graduated high school.

Technically, nobody could beat him. 50 fights and you wanna be upset that he didn't fight someone who people 'thought' could take him down? In five different weight classes? Idk man. You want him to fight the champ at 40?

Burnout278
08-27-2017, 01:48 AM

Technically, nobody could beat him. 50 fights and you wanna be upset that he didn't fight someone who people 'thought' could take him down? In five different weight classes? Idk man. You want him to fight the champ at 40?

Sano, basically his post was. Salt salt salt salt salt salt

Maverik
08-27-2017, 10:07 AM
I will say, McGregor made me a fan last night

he knew he was going to lose the whole time and he knew what his win condition had to be and he played to it

The Butcher
08-28-2017, 08:13 AM
I found it very entertaining and not surprising in any degree.

Hugh
09-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Good Fight Night tonight. Gregor Gillespie is really starting to make a name. He's like Frankie Edgar only bigger and with more power.
And Platinum Mike Perry is like the bad guy in Farcry 3. A freak and a badass.

Maverik
09-17-2017, 07:16 AM
was awesome to see a real boxing match last night

GGG and Canelo are the real deal and they're both fucking good

Hulky
09-17-2017, 11:40 AM
GGG made me super excited when I saw his name, because I thought he had my last name when it scrolled across ESPN. It's not, but it's closer than basically anything I've seen.

Govnik & Golovkin

Maverik
09-30-2017, 12:11 AM
re-watching GGG v Canelo

love this fight

such good boxing

Hugh
10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
If anyone missed Mighty Mouse’s 4th round finish over Ray Borg yesterday, here it is.
One of the greatest submissions and finishes ever. Mighty Mouse is the GOAT.
https://www.mmamania.com/2017/10/8/16431204/ufc-216-full-fight-video-highlights-demetrious-johnson-submits-ray-borg-las-vegas-mma

The Butcher
10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
For those who are interested in how MMA came about.. this is about as legendary of a story as they come. Helio being the godfather of Brazilian and gracie jits. Helio's arm broke 2 times during the match and he didn't tap and or give a fuck. Kimura was told he wouldn't be allowed back to Japan if he lost. This shit was serious.

Kimura vs. Hélio Gracie[edit]
Main article: Masahiko Kimura vs. Hélio Gracie

Kimura vs Gracie, with the Japanese holding the Brazilian in a kesa-gatame.
In 1949, after touring for Hawaii, Kimura and his troupe formed by judoka Toshio Yamaguchi and Yukio Kato went to Brazil after an invitation by the Sao Paulo Shimbun. There they were challenged by Hélio Gracie of the Gracie Jiu Jitsu.[8][9] Gracie proposed a match under what would be known as the "Gracie Rules", in which throws and pins would not count towards victory, with only submission or loss of consciousness.[9] This played against judo rules in which pins and throws can award someone a victory, but they accepted nonetheless.[10] Kato was the first to accept the challenge, drawing with Hélio Gracie in their match at the Maracana stadium. However, he lost to Gracie by gi choke in the rematch at the Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo. Hélio proposed to continue with the challenge, and Yamaguchi appointed himself the next to fight. Kimura, however, volunteered to fight in his place. The bout between Gracie and Kimura took place again in the Maracana stadium, before an audience of 20,000 people, including president of Brazil Getúlio Vargas. Expectation was such that, according to a source, Kimura had been warned by the Japanese embassy that he would not be welcomed back in Japan if he lost the match.[11] Kimura was received in the arena with raw eggs and insults by the Brazilian crowds, and the Gracie challengers brought a coffin to symbolize Kimura would be dead, just like they had done with Kato. At the start of the match, Hélio tried to throw him down with osoto gari and ouchi gari, but Kimura blocked them and scored multiple throws by ouchi gari, harai goshi, uchi mata and ippon seoi nage.[12] However, Helio Gracie was able to perform ukemi thanks to the soft mat used in competitions, so Kimura couldn't subdue him by throwing alone. The judoka started planning a way to win between throw and throw, and at the second round he took the fight to the ground, pinning Gracie with kuzure-kami-shiho-gatame. After a number of holds by the Japanese, including kesa-gatame, sankaku-jime and do-jime, the Brazilian looked unable to breathe under Kimura, but he persevered, until he tried to switch position by pushing with his arm. At that moment, Kimura seized the limb and executed gyaku-ude-garami. Hélio did not surrender, and Kimura rotated the arm until it broke. As Gracie still refused to give up, Masahiko twisted the arm further and broke it again. Finally, when the judoka was about to twist it a third time, Gracie's corner threw the towel, and Kimura was declared winner. A crowd of Japanese came and tossed Kimura high in celebration, while Hélio's arm was treated by doctors.[13][14] As a tribute to Kimura's victory, the armlock technique he used to defeat Gracie has since been commonly referred to as the Kimura lock, or simply the Kimura, in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and, more recently, mixed martial arts circles.

The Butcher
10-20-2017, 11:17 AM
My favorite submission when I was fighting and I was pretty good at getting them while having guard pulled from the ground.

But yeah, legend vs legend where is was for real and not some paper fight like mcgregor/mayweather

Maverik
10-20-2017, 11:27 AM
fucking great post

loved that

had no idea about any of that

thanks, Butch

v great

The Butcher
11-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Anyone else pumped for this card Saturday?

Predictions:

GSP vs Micheal Bisping - GSP by submission R3 (seriously, FUCK bisping. Biggest joke in UFC, and yes, I've heard of Jon Jones)

TJ Dillashaw vs Cody Garbrandt - damn, this is a tough one. Lots of history with me here. I was the BIGGEST fan of Dominque Cruz for a long long time, way back to wreckage. I thought he was the best striker I literally had ever seen, i loved watching him fight and thought he was invincible. Then.. i saw no love DESTROY him, make fun of him and then knock his ass out in the easiest most dominant non spider silva fight I've ever seen. So.. i was a big Cody fan after that. Dude is covered in tats, has that low down mean dog attitude but isn't a prick like the Diaz bros.... or so I thought. Until this fight came up with TJ. Now he's the loud talking jackass you want to see knocked out (Mcgregor is not a loud talking jackass, he's a loud talking God). So.. i think I'm rooting for TJ, however, i say Cody by TKO R2.

Jedrzejczyk vs Thug - i am PUMPED for this fight. These two ladies are going to swing hammers. It's gonna be toe to toe, for 1 round, and then Joanna is walking out with the KO win.

The Butcher
11-02-2017, 04:54 PM
THE ONLY REASON that jackass bum has a belt is because Luke went in way too cocky. Luke is 10x the skilled fighter that Bisping is. OMG i hate that fucking guy lol.

He's the perfect example of why you need to be charismatic to be a good heel. Connor is, he ain't.

I think Bisping is going to try to come otu of the gate and swarm him. GSP is notorious for dragging fights out and not finishing them, i expect that, but I also expect bisping to be a jackass and put himself in a submission that GSP won't be able to ignore

Hugh
11-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Are we not talking about this??
GSP is the champ again. Finished The Count in a blood bath.
TJ knocked out Cody. Didnt see that coming.
And Rose KOs Joanna in the first fucking round? Could not believe my eyes.
Three new champs, all underdogs. I’m actually not positive about GSP but I just assumed with everything considered. Can’t imagine he was favored. What a great night for the UFC.

Spencer 555
11-06-2017, 10:28 PM
I havent watched any UFC since GSP got his ass kicked a couple years ago. Just watched a recording of the fight from last night and all I gotta say is he made us proud. To me he is the best pound for pound fighter in ufc history.

Nightmarez
12-03-2017, 01:49 AM
Francis Ngannou is the scariest fighter I've seen since Tyson.

Nightmarez
12-10-2017, 01:09 AM
I know no one views this thread. But

Vasyl Lomachenko is FUCKING. INSANE.

The Butcher
12-27-2017, 11:49 AM
My friend Timmy's Mom from 4th grade soccer practice got her ass kicked...

I was googling some random shit and came across the dangers of unsanctioned fights and this came up. WHO THE FUCK put this shit show together?

PS. the girl who beat her ass, this was her first "pro fight" but had already won 5 of 5 amateur and now is currently the Bellator flyweight champion of the WORLD.

sorry misses timmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lu79tvNsxc

Mystery)
04-18-2018, 09:40 PM
I'm learning Krav Maga, really into MMA after I started learning how to fight. Before that, it was meh.

Hugh
05-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Michael Bisping should wear an eye patch or tinted glasses or something, especially since he’s in the media. I mean it’s not hurting his career but his dead eye/ detached retina thing is impossible not to stare at and looks really fucked up.

Hugh
05-27-2018, 04:08 PM
I’m glad Till got the decision over Wonderboy. He deserved it, and Wonderboy has been disappointing lately.
Still I’m not sure he actually beat Wonderboy. Till was certainly the aggressor but Wonderboy landed more shots for sure. Probably came down to the big knockdown Till got in the last round.

Nightmarez
05-27-2018, 04:20 PM
I’m glad Till got the decision over Wonderboy. He deserved it, and Wonderboy has been disappointing lately.
Still I’m not sure he actually beat Wonderboy. Till was certainly the aggressor but Wonderboy landed more shots for sure. Probably came down to the big knockdown Till got in the last round.

Do you mostly watch MMA or both MMA and boxing? JC. Especially if you watch any Lomachenko, who I, like many, am a big fanboy of.

Didn't catch the Till fight.

I can't wait for Cormier/Miocic. Feel like there's not a ton of hype for a fight that fans should be going gaga for.

Hugh
05-27-2018, 04:58 PM
I mostly watch MMA but I know boxing is making a comeback. I used to watch boxing when I was younger but fell out of it when MMA started making its way and I just never went back to watching except for the occasional super fight.

Nightmarez
05-27-2018, 05:22 PM
I mostly watch MMA but I know boxing is making a comeback. I used to watch boxing when I was younger but fell out of it when MMA started making its way and I just never went back to watching except for the occasional super fight.

Yeah I’m a big fan of that comeback. Think there’s a ton of guys coming up right now that are super interesting. My favorite as stated is the obvious one (ESPN pound-for-pound #1) Vasyl Lomachenko. Footwork and movement is framing nuts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHOW82Lzrg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcYLolDZIo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2M5sbbiDGBA

Three most recent fights. First two are full fights, most recent bid a highlight. Love that Linares knocked him down finally

Hugh
06-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Curtis Blaydes fucking destroyed Allistair Overeem. Reem is just a punching bag now.

Hugh
06-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Also, the fact that CM Punk was on the actual UFC PPV main card is one the dumbest fucking things I’ve seen in professional sports. I don’t know why that idiot thinks he should be in the UFC and I have absolutely no idea why Dana White let him, but I hope it never happens again. He’s not a fighter. He’s not a martial artist. He has no business in there and watching him is not entertaining. Maybe he’s entertaining as a pro wrestler or whatever. I have no idea and I don’t care. I don’t want to see the UFC turn into the WWE.

Darkness
07-08-2018, 01:08 PM
^ Agreed, the whole CM Punk debacle was pretty dumb. However, we've seen time and time again over the years that Dana will sacrifice sport/organization legitimacy for PPV buys, it's just CM Punk was probably the most extreme example.

How about DC knocking out Stipe to become the Champ Champ? I have always been a huge DC fan and am happy he got the job done. Hope Stipe bounces back and reclaims the title after DC retires. The DC/Brock promo was full-WWE (and pretty funny imo), but DC adamantly denied that it was staged. Dana confirmed that they are making that fight even though Brock can't fight until January due to his USADA suspension. Since DC is retiring in March 2019, he has maybe 2 fights left. Would love to see him go out against Brock and Bones at HW, but that probably won't happen since Bones is such a moron.

rainblade
07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Daniel Cormier is a beast. What can I say? I was dead wrong. Some guys do get better even into advanced age.

Hugh
07-09-2018, 09:05 PM
He’s just awesome. I can’t explain it either other than to say DC is just one of the best fighters to ever get into the cage. Size doesn’t matter. Age doesn’t matter. Looks literally don’t mean a thing. DC is 5’11” and weighed in at 246 for this fight. He just looked like a 40 year old fat guy who used to lift weights. Lol. Incredible.
That shit show with Brock Lesnar in the cafe afterward stupid but whatever. Another thing that makes DC so great is he’s an entertainer. I want to see that fight with Brock.

Hugh
07-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Also, Brock is just a fucking asshole. Yeah I know he got called out and he’s selling a fight and all the rest but he’s still a fucking asshole. He’s calling Stipe Miocic a piece of shit as he’s still clearing the cobwebs from getting KOd. That’s pretty bad. The man just lost his belt. He didn’t have to bring him into a beef with DC. I don’t expect him to show respect but he could have at least had the decency to keep him out of it.

Achilles
07-11-2018, 05:39 PM
He’s just awesome. I can’t explain it either other than to say DC is just one of the best fighters to ever get into the cage. Size doesn’t matter. Age doesn’t matter. Looks literally don’t mean a thing. DC is 5’11” and weighed in at 246 for this fight. He just looked like a 40 year old fat guy who used to lift weights. Lol. Incredible.
That shit show with Brock Lesnar in the cafe afterward stupid but whatever. Another thing that makes DC so great is he’s an entertainer. I want to see that fight with Brock.

This was always the joke with Fedor back in the PrideFC days. He had the build of a teddy bear but he wrecked people.

I miss the hell out of Pride, I liked it a lot better than the UFC. I was always bummed that Mirko Cro Cop got to the States so late in his career because he just barely missed MMA getting hugely popular. He was a beast when he was still in his prime. Probably my favorite fighter of all time. It was like watching the terminator fight.

It's looking like I'm stepping back in a ring soon. It's been two years since I've fought competitively. I'm dreading cutting weight though. I'm a flyweight so I have to cut from about 133-ish to 125.

Hugh
07-11-2018, 10:35 PM
I liked Cro Cop too but he made his UFC debut in 2007. He was only 32 years old. I always wondered why he didn’t have more success in the Octagon. I don’t think he ever got comfortable in the UFC. He always looked out of place and tentative, completely different from the guy who dominated the PRIDE Absolute tournament the year before. He was unstoppable. Just walked people down and kicked their heads off.
UFC and PRIDE were different though. Significantly. Different rules and regulations, in and out of the ring. Or cage. Whatever.

Achilles
07-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Pride catered way more to strikers whereas modern UFC cateres way more to wrestlers. I've fought in rings, circular cages, square cages, and octagon cages.

The thing with fighting in a ring is there's no way for a wrestler to grind you up against something. In a cage they have something they can just muscle you into to do their thing. The opposite is true with a square ring, because a striker can take the center of the ring and push you into corners. I'm much more of a kick boxer, for context. I can wrestle but not nearly as good as I can go toe to toe with someone.

Cro Cop too, despite being only a few years older than I am now, was a pretty tired man by that point. He'd lived a long life for someone that young. He had a famous quote saying he was thinking more about fishing than he was fighting. He went through some crazy shit with the fall of the Soviet Union too in terms of war. He was like ex-special forces and went through the downfall of the reds. So he was older than his age to be honest.

The problem with Pride was people with kick boxing backgrounds could school you if they played the rules right. The UFC is the opposite. If you can wrestle and use the three point rule (Randy Couture famously did this in Tim Sylvia fight when he came out of retirement. He put one hand on the ground with both legs planted and because he had three points on the ground Tim Sylvia couldn't knee his face into oblivion because of it. In a real fight Sylvia would have rearranged his face), you can navigate the rules in the UFC in a really unfair way.

There's obviously no way to do it correctly. People would start dying. I'd say a square cage would be the best way to even it out between strikers and mat rats though.

Darkness
07-12-2018, 02:45 AM
It's looking like I'm stepping back in a ring soon. It's been two years since I've fought competitively. I'm dreading cutting weight though. I'm a flyweight so I have to cut from about 133-ish to 125.
Let me know if you need any help cutting weight. 8 pounds is very easy, even at 133 pounds. Assuming you have a day to recover, there should be zero impact on your performance.

Achilles
07-12-2018, 01:07 PM
I've done it a bunch of times but thank you. I lose weight super easily. I actually struggle to keep weight on, I have the most inhuman metabolism on the face of the Earth. I could like inject butter directly into my veins and I would lose ten pounds. It's not hard to do, I just hate being super dehydrated.

I'm going to go flyweight this time but I'm honestly considering fighting up, which I've done plenty of times. I hate fighting guys my size, it's fucking exhausting. I'd rather fight someone with fifty pounds on me than another spring loaded 135 pound guy whose bouncing off the walls and going a million miles a minute. I don't have a ton of knockout power but I can outlast just about everyone I spar with and exhaust them. I can pull off some pretty freaky submissions too because I'm so small and wiry, I probably gogoplata people more than anyone should be able to with how flexible I am. My fight nick name was always monkey legs because I'm a bastard to hold down because I can bend such weird ways. I'm not even that good of a grappler either, I can just do weird shit because I can like put my legs behind my head and stuff so rather than being a great Jits guy I'm just preposterously annoying to force into anything on the ground.

The heaviest I could realistically fight is featherweight though. And I wouldn't even come in at 145, I'd be well under it. The heaviest I've ever been was 140 and that was with intense weight lifting and dieting. I don't mind being lighter though, I fought open weight for most of my career and would fight guys as big as 250. That's kind of my bread and butter actually. Eventually you get sick of getting your head caved in and accept that you're small and learn how to fight small, which is honestly a really interesting thing if you get into the technical fighting details about what it's like being someone my size fighting big dudes.

Darkness
07-12-2018, 09:40 PM
What open-weight events are you referring to?

Achilles
07-12-2018, 09:54 PM
I fought as far back as when MMA was very loosely regulated and it was sort of a grey area in my state. So I could fight openweight if I wanted to. I caught the tail end of it before the boxing commission started really getting heavily involved with it. And this wasn't MMA in a cage, it was still just in a ring. I've fought since then but it's been much more strict since the old days. Like I said, I need to fight between flyweight and featherweight now. Some of the shit they used to get away with in terms of classes is insane in retrospect. I could make featherweight for sure but I'd certainly come in very light.

Darkness
07-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Interesting. I was going to mention "excluding the dark ages" in parenthesis, but I figured you weren't old enough to be fighting around that time. It sounds like this is more of a special occasion for you (regardless of your past), but it would be foolish to disregard weight advantages/disadvantages if you are competing against quality competition (i.e. any high-level wrestler with a well-rounded skillset). Dehydration sucks, but there's almost no reason not to do it with only a minor cut and a day to recover. You can obviously win either way, I just think it would be in your best interests since it's a small cut and you're admittedly not the strongest grappler.

Achilles
07-12-2018, 11:13 PM
I admittedly actually think weight cutting is fucking stupid. I 100% agree with your points, but if you think about it, it's the most pointless thing ever. Realistically what they should do is make you weigh in three or so hours before the fight so that everyone just comes in walking weight. I certainly understand the logic behind it, you cut weight to gain a weight advantage. The aforementioned pointless aspect of it though is everyone does it, so there's inherently no reason to do it. Make it so you weigh in the day of the fight so if you cut a ton of weight you're gassed and pay for it. I'd argue the fights would be better too.

That said, I will be cutting this time. I can realistically fight across three or so weight classes. 125, 135, and 145. One I cut, the other I do nothing, the other I bulk a little. I do hate fighting down at 125 though. I don't know your background but fighting little shits like me is so tiring. I'd rather have some monstrosity of a dude lumbering away at me all day. You're right in that grappling big dudes sucks; I can grapple very well but I'm not a world beater with it. But I'm not a slouch either.

And it's not really a special event. I'm 29 and I've been fighting since I was 3. I just haven't competed in two years. I've still been banging around regularly full contact the whole time though. It ought to be fun though. I broke my damn hand my last fight though which certainly worries me a bit.

And as far as the dark ages stuff goes, yeah, like I said I caught the tail end of it. If you go straight kick boxing though instead of MMA you can still find open weight fighting. Though open weight is a relative term, it's mostly gigantic dudes.

Hugh
08-05-2018, 01:41 AM
What a UFC card tonight. I was on the edge of my seat for both main events. Cejudo finally dethroned Mighty Mouse, something I was starting to think I’d never see. He had such a brilliant game plan and executed it perfectly, then he called out the 135 lb champ, whoever it was at the end of the night. Huge balls.
Turns out it’s still TJ. I thought it was No Love’s night but he was way too emotional and went in head first. TJ had Cody beat the minute the bell rang. Impressive. I’m glad. Cody is a great fighter but he’s just an immature douchebag and it got him knocked out again.

Hugh
08-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Greg Hardy is an interesting fighter. He won Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender tournament easily, knocking out both opponents in the first minute of the first round. He had 3 amateur fights before that and won them all the same way. KO, first minute of the first round.
He’s really fast. For 6’5” and 265 lbs he’s really fucking fast. I’ve watched a lot of heavyweights in the Octagon and he moves and throws punches as fast as anyone I can recall at that size. Maybe faster. And his power is legit. He throws bombs.
He might get crushed in the UFC but he’s huge, powerful, fast, insanely athletic and, let’s face it, a mean motherfucker. And he’s only 30, which isn’t old for a heavyweight. Shit Cormier and Lesnar will be fighting for the belt soon and they’re both 40.
I think Hardy is going to make some noise.

Achilles
08-26-2018, 09:25 AM
He reminds me of Arlovski when he was in his prime. Arlovski was awesome to watch when he was younger, he was a huge guy but he was so insanely athletic. He used to move like a middle weight but he'd absolutely crush people. It was all down hill for him after Fedor knocked him out, which was his own damn fault. He was actually pretty handily besting Fedor and if he just stuck to that game plan I think he would have beaten him. But then he decided to try to pull off a crazy flying knee super early in the fight and left himself wide open and Fedor dropped him. He was doing just fine kick boxing with him.

Hugh
08-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Yes Arlovski is a good comparison. No idea what kind of chin Hardy has yet but that was The Pitbull’s weakness for sure.

Achilles
08-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah, if Tim Sylvia knocks you out, you have a problem. I hated that damn guy. He hijacked the heavyweight division for like a year and just used his reach to coast to decisions. He's inarguably the most boring MMA fighter of all time. When Randy Couture came out of retirement and beat the ever living fuck out of him was possibly my favorite fight of all time. Hell, I would happily fight Tim Sylvia and I'd bet on me to win. That guy was a joke who just happened to have very long arms and could outreach people. He wasn't a fighter, he just perfected using the rules to his advantage. He had no knockout power at all, no speed, can't roll. He temporarily ruined the heavyweight division. Thank god Couture kicked his ass into retirement.

Sylvia derailed two awesome fighters too. Jeff Monson and Brandon Vera were both amazing up and coming fighters, and Sylvia just jabbed for five rounds and basically ruined their careers. He didn't fight to win, he fought not to lose. I loved Monson and he should have amounted to a lot more, but in his title fight Sylvia basically just jabbed him for 25 minutes.

Arlovski definitely suffered from a weak chin though, you're right about that for sure. He was able to hide it for years because he was so talented.

Sanosuke
09-16-2018, 12:09 AM
That fight was incredible but the decision was absolutely wrong

Sanosuke
09-16-2018, 12:11 AM
I scored it 8 rounds to 4 in favor of GGG. Super close those so I can't argue I guess but there's no way imo GGG didn't win a lot of those middle.rounds.

The Butcher
09-21-2018, 01:07 PM
McGregor is a God.

https://deadspin.com/conor-mcgregor-hypes-whiskey-talks-wild-shit-in-suitab-1829212832

The Butcher
09-21-2018, 01:07 PM
McGregor is a God.

https://deadspin.com/conor-mcgregor-hypes-whiskey-talks-wild-shit-in-suitab-1829212832

Hugh
10-06-2018, 10:35 PM
I think Conor KOs Khabib and Pettis beats Ferguson by decision.

Hugh
10-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Well I sure called that one. Lol.

Achilles
10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
I honestly think McGregor is wildly overrated. I always have. He's certainly very good, but not as good as he's played out to be; he's just extremely marketable between his persona and the fact that he's fun to watch. But in a technical sense I've honestly never been impressed with him. He absolutely scraps, but he's not as good as the media will have you believe.

The Butcher
10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
I think everyone knew Khabib was gonna win Hugh.. and you didn't get the Pettis one right, i wouldn't be too proud of that one :P

I was supremely impressed by Ferguson though, I've never seen him fight and I thought he was incredible. Can't wait to see him vs Khabib

As for McGregor, I will always love the guy. His striking is supreme... but so was Dominique Cruz's and we saw what one fighter did to him. It is what it is, I think Khabib's fighting style is pathetic cheap and boring, but yeah, it'll win fights.

I dunno about him vs Ferguson though.. I've never seen that kind of pressure. Khabib is gonna have to get ahold of him even more than he did with Connor to win, otherwise he's gonna get pummeled

Hugh
10-11-2018, 07:01 PM
I actually got them both wrong. I was being sarcastic.:)
I don’t know. I’ve seen Khabib take a lot of shots closing the gap and I thought Conor would catch him. Conor obviously got dominated but he was so hesitant when they were standing. He would press but not engage. He kept waiting to counter but he waited way too long.
I called Pettis because of what a great kicker he is and the fact that Ferguson was coming off that horrible knee. Pettis hurt him with kicks early, and almost knocked him out in round 2, but Tony was started to stalk him and really busting him up. It was a great fight until Pettis broke his hand, but yeah. Tony was walking him down. He was going to finish Pettis at some point.
I’d like to see Ferguson fight Khabib. The pressure like you said, but Ferguson has an amazing ground game too.

Achilles
10-11-2018, 07:40 PM
As for McGregor, I will always love the guy. His striking is supreme... but so was Dominique Cruz's and we saw what one fighter did to him. It is what it is, I think Khabib's fighting style is pathetic cheap and boring, but yeah, it'll win fights.

McGregor actually isn't that proficient of a striker. He's actually pretty sloppy. The reason I know this is because he's close to my size and he fights like I do.

I knew two people who in a technical sense were far superior to me, and the way I bested them almost every time was the same thing as McGregor. While they had a better technical understanding of the fundamental framework of fighting - I was way better and pulling the trigger. So even though if you put us under a microscope and saw who was performing strikes and deterring strikes and moving correctly, it didn't matter. Even though they were both better than me they didn't have that ability in a mental capacity to just go for broke and start throwing right hands from the cheap seats.

McGregor is basically the same thing. There's being extremely technical, like Anderson Silva, then there's being someone who's athletic and just knows how to initiate without fear, like McGregor. I was the latter of the two. I could find loads of people who are way better strikers than him, he just has the balls to jump right into it. Which takes a lot of guys off guard, hence his success.

I'm not saying he's a bad fighter, I'm saying he isn't as good of a striker as people think he is. He scraps. He isn't Anderson Silva but nobody can deny he's a tough dude who isn't afraid to jump into it with someone and square up. Which works for some people if you execute it well. A lot of guys, no matter how good they are, lose their sack if they hit you and you keep coming at them. They're used to and even bred to think they can outclass people; there's an old saying about it - "I don't care how good at Jits you are and how much gi rolling you did, you can't hit in straight Jits. So when you get me on the ground you might be a black belt, but when I punch you in the face once, you're a brown belt. When I punch you a couple more times, you're a purple belt. Eventually I'll punch you enough until you're a white belt." That's more or less McGregor's approach - he just gets in your face.

I'm not saying he's a bad fighter, I'm just saying he's not technically as proficient as people give him credit for.

The Butcher
10-17-2018, 01:34 PM
We will have to agree to disagree Ach. I really like Connor's striking, that's just me. I do agree that his style has gotten him beat twice, but it's also gotten him a couple of belts and I just enjoy it. I see the confidence he has in picking his shots etc. But, i like Ferguson better, i'm starting to REALLY like Ferguson tbh. I would love to fight like him.

And Hugh sorry buddy I misread you. I know you know what you're talking about though FWIW :)

I would love to see this card:

Khabib vs GSP for title
McGregor vs Ferguson

winners fight

then round out the card with a couple of huge heavyweights, a women's bout and someone else.

Hugh
10-18-2018, 01:22 AM
EDIT- Sorry. Misread.
I’d like to see McGregor/Ferguson for sure.
I think Khabib would destroy GSP. I’d like to see GSP fight Kevin Lee though. I think Lee would destroy him too but I think it would be a more interesting match.

The Butcher
10-18-2018, 01:44 PM
I think GSP is a better match up for Khabib than Connor was. The guy isn't invincible, he's gonna get smashed, soon

The Butcher
10-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Nate Diaz is a joke, btw.

Achilles
07-31-2019, 11:21 PM
We will have to agree to disagree Ach. I really like Connor's striking, that's just me. I do agree that his style has gotten him beat twice, but it's also gotten him a couple of belts and I just enjoy it. I see the confidence he has in picking his shots etc. But, i like Ferguson better, i'm starting to REALLY like Ferguson tbh. I would love to fight like him.

And Hugh sorry buddy I misread you. I know you know what you're talking about though FWIW :)

I would love to see this card:

Khabib vs GSP for title
McGregor vs Ferguson

winners fight

then round out the card with a couple of huge heavyweights, a women's bout and someone else.

Sorry, I only just saw this now.

I'm not saying McGregor is a bad fighter. McGregor is a great fighter. I'm just saying I'm at almost twenty eight years of kick boxing and I can offer some worth while insight. I'll try to quantify it better as someone who, and I'm not bragging here, easily has more time in a ring than most UFC fighters. I'm not saying I'm better than any particular UFC fighter, not at all. I'm not. But I've been doing it way longer than most of these guys, I've taught it professionally for years, so I'm just politely trying to give some perspective from someone with a ton of experience.

McGregor is not a good technical kick boxer. I know this because I've been fighting some of the best technical kick boxers in the world for years. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's far from great. However, me saying he's not a great kick boxer does not mean he's not a good fighter. Those two things aren't the same.

McGregor can scrap, and he's intimidating because he can take a beating. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing either - that's how I fight. I had this one dude I fought more times than I can fucking count, and he was a way better kick boxer than me. In every sense. He was more technical, more efficient, he in a biomechanical sense executed his strikes so well that he got the absolute highest output of power out of them. He was a better kick boxer, plain and simple. If you put him and I (him and I are good friends just to note), next to each other hitting mitts, and had one hundred kick boxing instructors watch us, 100 out of 100 of them would say he had a much more fundamental understanding of the inherent biomechanical framework of kick boxing. I have absolutely no problem admitting he's a better kick boxer than me.

However, he never beat me once.

The thing about fighting, is you have to remember... it's a fight. And there are some dudes - a lot of dudes - who totally fold despite how good they are when they have someone get in their face and throw down. This is actually the downfall of a lot of kick boxers in street fights. They can do crazy shit all day hitting mitts and bags, but when someone throws down and scraps with them and they're in a fight, they fall apart. The best thing you can do, in my opinion, if you want to be a successful fighter, is kick box with people that have no problem beating the ever living fuck out of you. Because you can go toe to toe with other super technical kick boxers that are playing the game, trying to read you and counter you, pick up on everything you're telegraphing, but when you have another kick boxer who is a really good kick boxer, who might not be as good as you but is still really good, but he's willy to just jump right into it with you and swallow some teeth in the process, you have a problem. And this obviously doesn't apply for everyone. Like an Anderson Silva level kick boxer is just so good it doesn't matter how much I want to scrap with him he's just going to out class me.

So with this dude I mentioned, despite how much better he was, I'd just get in his face every time we fought and it'd always end with him getting so disheartened that within a minute or two I was beating the ever living fuck out of him like it was a hockey fight. A lot of super technical kick boxers get into the (bad) habit of way too much so treating fighting like chess with people they fight that approach it the same way. Then they face someone like me who they punch in the face and I spit, kick them in the liver, and start donkey konging their head, pick them up and slam them on the ground, and tenderize them like meat. And they don't know how to deal with that level of aggression because of the way it's taught is like a board game and they don't expect someone to turn it into a back alley brawl. And they crumble when you do.

I live in the worst neighborhood in Boston and have gotten into tons of fights, and I'm also extremely small. I have a target on my chest because I look easy to pick on. I'm 5'9 and 120 pounds. Dudes think they're going to wreck me if I'm out at bars (not recently, but it's happened a lot). Most guys, if they try to hit you and you don't stop, and then you just come at them like a freight train, are going to absolutely fold. I'm not saying swing like an idiot, I'm a damn good kick boxer. But when people hit you and you don't stop, as long as you're smart enough and don't let them catch you on the chin or the temple, you're going to totally take the wind out of their sails. They're going to realize "oh man this guy can take a beating."

This is Connor McGregor. He's not a bad kick boxer. But he's by no means a great kick boxer. He's willing to scrap, and because of how dudes are trained, like I elaborated on, they'd totally fold under him. That's why he was so successful. Same thing, you could find a ton of kick boxing trainers, sit down and have them watch film of him, and while they'd say he wasn't bad, and he's even very good, he's not great. He's just so willing to throw down that people would start back pedaling, and then it was his time to shine because he was in his element and he'd throw them a beating.

Hugh
08-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Butch should reply to Ach’s post in 10 months. Let’s see how long we can keep it going.,

Hugh
11-03-2019, 01:22 PM
Jorge Masvidal was brilliant against Nate Diaz last night. They stopped it in the 3rd because of a bad cut from an early elbow but Diaz was beat to shit by then anyway. It’s Nate Diaz so he could have come back I suppose, but not likely. Masvidal’s body kicks were fucking brutal. He dropped Diaz twice, took him down and beat on him. He dominated the clinch. He just kicked his ass. I was truly surprised.
The Rock put the BMF belt on him in the ring, which was awesome. He is.
Also, if you didn’t see Kevin Lee knocking out Gregor Gillespie, look it up. The whole fight lasts 20 seconds but it’s worth watching. Out fucking cold.

Achilles
11-03-2019, 02:07 PM
That was a great fight. Nate Diaz and his brother Nick are like the weirdest fighters I've ever seen. They both have this super goofy, dumbass orangutan unorthodox style of fighting. The weird thing though is that when it works, it works incredibly well. Not even because it's practical, I think it's just so weird it massive throws people off. I actually have had tons of conversations with people I bang around with. Every now and then over the years someone will come into the gym, and have like an odd disposition and be physically awkward. In a purely fundamental sense you're an all around better kick boxer. But then he just starts doing some weird shit and even though he's not better than you, he's catching you. You catch on after fighting people like that after a few rounds, but I've had my clock cleaned tons of times by weird gangly people, or people with any type of weird sense of movement. That's basically the Diaz brothers to me.

So people like Diaz and his brother, they need a lot of attention to train for. I know you love this stuff so I can give you a first hand account of how I'm in a similar situation.

So I fight 125. Hopefully again in a few months (it's been a while so I'm taking my time). I'm right handed, but I fight with my lead hand forward when I box, which I've just always done. So my jab and lead hooks are right in your face basically. Now I'm not claiming this is a better way to do things, it's probably not for most people. It's just what I've always done, and relative to my size it works for me because you basically can't catch me in a fight. The unorthodoxy throws people off and it's a huge advantage.

So the fact that Masvidal schooled Diaz that bad definitely means that guy did his homework. It'd be like if you and I fought. I'd probably wreck you at first because I'm this super small unorthodox fighter, but if we kept at it and you paid enough attention to what I was doing you'd eventually figure me out. I might be weird but you can figure out weird if you take the time.

Achilles
11-15-2019, 07:38 AM
Check this out Hugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/holdmyfeedingtube/comments/dwkwqs/hmft_after_they_muay_thai_my_face/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hugh
11-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Holy shit. That looked like anime or something.
That’s the most knocked out anyone has ever been.

Achilles
11-17-2019, 10:49 PM
Yeah dude, if you watch it again, he took a few seconds to fall. I know this part from being a medic - typically with significant head trauma your whole body stiffens. So like if you watch videos of people getting hit by cars they stiffen up right after. That's why that dude took so long to fall, he got his clock cleaned so bad he stiffened up and stayed standing clean unconscious for a few seconds.

What that dude did worked, but it's a pretty huge roll of the dice to try to pull off. He did it, and it was spectacular and probably one of if not the best knockouts I've ever seen in terms of how shocking it was. But it was a huge gamble because typically what they teach you is you NEVER spin for anything because you have to turn your back. He did something that in my opinion is stupid and I would never teach anyone to do and he pulled it off and got, like you said, an epic anime knockout. That was like a one in a million head kick.

Like I taught professionally for years and I've cornered for people and I would NEVER be like dude, forget all the boxing and footwork we did, just go Dragonball Z on him. But I mean hey, he pulled it off.

Achilles
11-17-2019, 10:55 PM
This just got me thinking that I should go back into fighting pro and you should corner me. You'd probably be awesome at that, haha.

Hugh
11-18-2019, 12:21 AM
I’d just get half cocked and quote Mickey lines from Rocky movies between rounds. I’d tell you to eat lightning and crap thunder.

Achilles
11-18-2019, 12:40 AM
Yeah one time this guy put nails in his boxing glove and punched my face full of holes.

We could probably create the ultimate documentary ever if we agreed to just get drunk and see how far we could get fighting if we just had a shitty sense of humor and you were like YOU LOST THE EYE OF THE TIGER KID and we just staggered around after a few shots where you trained me wearing a watch cap slapping me in the back of the head while I do push ups then fight someone. It could be the underdog story, haha.

By the way, my fight name is Monkey Legs. And the only song I ever walked out to is It's Raining Men because I thought it'd be funny as fuck and I knocked the guy out which is the most hilarious shit ever to me because he came out to gangster rap.

Achilles
11-18-2019, 12:45 AM
Yeah I don't think I ever mentioned that on here actually. That was my name. Mikey "Monkey Legs" Sweeney. I fought 125 so I'm pretty small, and I was so small I typically ended up on bottom in grappling matches. But I'm absurdly flexible and like you'd be on top of me trying to hit me but I'd have my legs over my face. There was one day (years ago) where one of my trainers were like DUDE YOU'RE LIKE A FUCKING MONKEY WITH YOUR LEGS because this dude Chuck was trying to hit me but he couldn't get past my legs. So I became Mikey "Monkey Legs' Sweeney.

Achilles
12-05-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm officially back in the fight game next week. I've still been banging around but I got convinced to give it a go competitively. I'm 30 so I still have a window of a few years I can compete again. It'll be a few months before I step into a ring, I need to put on some weight. I've been swimming competitively the last few years which is one of the higest caloric demands of any sport - especially since I distance swim. I did the Boston Light swim this past year which was eight miles in open water (it's from Hull, Massachusetts to South Boston, Massachusetts if you want to google map the route), so I'm in great shape I'm just absurdly lean.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do weight class wise. Because of the swimming I'm walking around insanely light. I'm probably going to have to fight up, which I'm used to. I'll likely stick 125. I used to fight 135 but that was when I had years to establish a weight and maintain it. I'm not sure I can get that heavy again. I could definitely get to at least 130 and cut the five pounds. I've always been light in fights, most guys walk in much heavier than what they weighed in at. I usually only cut two or three pounds, if anything at all. The one huge advantage is I don't gas in fights from the weight cut, which is a massively underappreciated thing. Weight cutting kills you. Especially considering some dudes at 125 cut from as high as 140-45. So I might be lighter but I'm not totally junk in terms of energy.

We'll see how it goes. I could get hurt and this might not happen. My knees are absolute junk from all the fighting (I've already been told I'm inevitably going to need both knees replaced), and my feet are all fucked up too because I've broken every toe more times than I can count from kicking. So I'm going to feel it out and if it goes well and I can get back into shape I might be in a ring again before the end of the year.

Achilles
12-11-2019, 10:43 PM
I just fouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuught. And I wonnnnnnnnnnn. Beat up some Hawaiian dude. This is the twilight of my career so it's like a 1980s comeback story. My foot hurts.

Hugh
12-12-2019, 12:40 AM
Congrats. Tell us about it. What was it? Cage fight or kickboxing or what did you do?

Achilles
12-12-2019, 08:30 AM
Thank you. It was in a cage, out in western Mass. I've always fought walking weight because I'm so light, I basically can't cut weight because of how light I am. When I was at the apex of me fighting I was walking around at 135, but that's when I was like snorting protein powder and lifting every day. My natural weight is around 120ish. So I always come in lighter than the other dude, because you have to figure someone fighting flyweight (125) likely walks around at 140 or so. The one advantage to not cutting is you don't gas nearly as quick, which I learned pretty quick when I was younger; like I learned that it was a huge advantage to be able to outlast people who had cut, because you have to figure while they weighed in at 125, they're likely walking into the ring at their natural weight and have 10-15 pounds on me. I went in at 121 so I was definitely at a size disadvantage.

I learned to fight small at a really young age because I had a great instructor/friend who taught me I basically had to embrace the fact that I was not a big guy, and own it. I can go toe to toe with huge dudes who outweigh me by like a hundred pounds and beat the fuck out of them because I can fight small. So that's more or less how I handled this fight.

The dude was way bigger than me, it looked like he cut a lot. He definitely acknowledged how small I am and he came out trying to take my head off. I'm a fast little bastard and basically, I kept intentionally putting myself into positions where he thought he would be able to clean my clock, then I moved. By the end of the first round he was absolutely exhausted. My wind is probably my biggest advantage; I competitively distance swim, I do like ten mile open water swimming races, so I can just go and go.

He came out absolutely gassed, and I started harassing him with leg kicks - my right leg to his lead left leg. After about fifteen of them, his lead hand started dropping when he stepped, which I took note of. So I booted him in the thigh, his left hand dropped, and I stepped into the kick and hit him with a cross to the jaw. He stumbled back and I booted him as hard as I could in the stomach with my foot into the cage, then laid into him and he dropped.

It was fun as hell. I still always fight but it's been a solid five years since I've fought competitively. I had a blast. I got to come out to music too and I came out to It's Raining Men because I wanted to beat someone up after coming out to the gayest song possible, haha.

Hugh
12-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Nice work. Is the one and done or are you planning to keep fighting for a while?
Also, did you happen to see Alistair Overeem’s face explode when he fought Rozenstruik last week? I’m on my phone or I’d post a picture. You have to see it if you haven’t. He got hit and the entire left side of his mouth blew up like there was a firecracker under his lip. It’s horrific.

The Butcher
12-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Ach we need to roll some time when you're on the east coast

congrats

Hugh
12-12-2019, 11:32 PM
Do you still do that stuff, Butch? I was doing BJJ for a little while with my brother back when it started getting really popular, but I didn’t stick with it. I like it but I just got too busy. That was probably 12 years ago or more. Holy shit I’m old.

The Butcher
12-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Not in a while but I would love to

Achilles
12-13-2019, 11:31 AM
I'm always on the East Coast. I live in Boston, haha.

I have a place to roll. I've been teaching and training at the same school for like 25 years. If you ever come out here you can crash with me and I can take you to come bang around with a really good group of dudes. There's also an awesome place we could go after, it's a gaming bar where you pay at the door and it's just a bunch of old school arcade games and you just drink and game all night.

The Butcher
12-13-2019, 02:25 PM
closer to DE then I guess, i won't be in MA any time soon

Hugh
12-13-2019, 03:21 PM
I'm always on the East Coast. I live in Boston, haha.

I have a place to roll. I've been teaching and training at the same school for like 25 years. If you ever come out here you can crash with me and I can take you to come bang around with a really good group of dudes. There's also an awesome place we could go after, it's a gaming bar where you pay at the door and it's just a bunch of old school arcade games and you just drink and game all night.

I love barcades. There’s a really cool one close to me and if I was still single I’d probably live there...which would not increase my chances of ever becoming not single I’m certain.

Achilles
12-13-2019, 06:21 PM
They have one of my favorite old school arcade games at the one in Boston. The old Simpsons arcade game. It's impossibly hard but so much fun.

Hugh
01-19-2020, 01:48 AM
Conor McGregor just fucked up Cowboy Ceronne in 40 seconds. I know Cowboy is a little past it but he’s still a tough fight for most everyone. Conor fucking destroyed him. He’s back.

Achilles
02-03-2020, 10:14 PM
I banged around with Joe Lauzon tonight. It was fun. I've known him and Danny for a long time. He's easy to grapple because you can just grab his big stupid ears.

Hugh
03-08-2020, 03:38 AM
Been watching UFC since it started. Literally got the first PPV. I’ve seen every single one, live or later.
Zhang Weili vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk tonight was the best UFC fight I’ve ever seen. I’m posting from my phone but if you want to Google Joanna’s face right now you’ll understand.

Hugh
03-14-2020, 07:44 PM
Watching UFC fight night and there aren’t any fans. It’s so weird. They’re just fighting with the lights off in an empty facility. Lol. Which doesn’t matter at all watching it on tv or probably even to most fighters, but it’s weird to see.

Achilles
03-14-2020, 10:07 PM
They should just roll with it and hold fights in abandoned warehouses and fish docks so we can finally live Street Fighter.

Hugh
04-09-2020, 12:02 AM
So a couple of weeks ago Jon Jones got arrested for driving drunk...AGAIN. He also had an unregistered gun in the car.
So I was listening to Chael Sonnen talk about motivation in sports. He said for himself personally he stopped being a motivated athlete at about 28, but continued to be a competitive athlete until he was 42. He still had the urge to compete, but he wasn’t motivated. At least not like when he was young.
I started thinking about the list of UFC champs who were dominant but quickly lost their edge. Cain Velasquez comes to mind. BJ Penn, Johnny Hendricks, Andrei Arlofski, Junior Desanto, Rhonda Rousey. Lots of experts say it’s a question of motivation when it happens. Once they reach the top they just don’t have the same motivation. The Rocky III story basically. Not everyone is Tom Brady ( psycho).
Maybe Jon Jones gets in trouble to create adversity. Maybe, whether consciously or not, he keeps crossing the line to create haters and doubters and something to overcome? I mean all things considered, he still has never really been beaten, and these days he’s always in a hard fight where he needs to dig deep to win, and he always does. There’s literally no quit in him.
Interesting to me.

Hugh
04-12-2020, 01:43 PM
https://apple.news/ARFxGpzkBSLOTFhH6aHEeSw

Posted again because Fight Club.

|AFO|
06-06-2020, 11:43 AM
GSP is arguably the best all around fighter in MMA history, while Khabib has the most dominant ground game in MMA history. I think it would be more of GSP trying to keep it in stand up and maybe going to the ground if he could get Khabib on his back. Khabib would obviously be working to get GSP on the ground and do his thing. Khabib’s stand up game is underrated though... Would be a great fight.

|AFO|
06-06-2020, 11:50 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AO9gU9DSRI

I was watching some random MMA matches the other day and came across this one. Possibly the greatest comeback I’ve ever seen. If you haven’t seen it you gotta watch it.

|AFO|
06-06-2020, 02:02 PM
If the fight was anywhere else it would have been stopped lol

Ref: if he dies... he dies. /shrug

Hulky
06-07-2020, 12:45 AM
Bet on UFC on draftkings just because I miss sports, and I have literal 0 knowledge of UFC. The only two I know are George St. Pierre and Rhonda Roussey. Anyways I made my lineup and 4 of the first 5 of my fights win. Was in good position to make probably $50 to $70 off a $25 buy in. Then Nunes v. Spencer happened. I picked Spencer and its currently 120 significant strikes and 6 takedowns to 36 significant strikes and 0 take downs.

I might not money now, because apparently Nunes is a superstar and like 40% rostered lol. I ----think--- I should be good to go @$40 so $15 made, but I was doing pretty hot before this fight lol.

edit: Nunes is 59% owned, I might get fucked

edit2: woo it's over I won $40 (minus the $25 buy in)

Hugh
06-07-2020, 01:39 AM
Well you won money so nice work. If you ever want any advice on a match or card I’ll try to help. I’m not an expert but I’m a big fan and I follow it close.
And yeah, Amanda Nunes is the greatest female fighter in MMA history. Don’t bet on her to lose for a long time.:)
I’m shocked Spencer went the distance. I wouldn’t have even bet on that.

Hulky
06-07-2020, 01:42 AM
Well you won money so nice work. If you ever want any advice on a match or card I’ll try to help. I’m not an expert but I do love it and I follow it pretty close.
And yeah, Amanda Nunes is the greatest female fighter in MMA history. Don’t bet on her to lose for a long time.:)
I’m shocked Spencer went the distance. I wouldn’t have even bet on that.

I went Spencer, Garbrant, O'Malley, Pitolo, Menifield, Burns.

If I had benched Menifield for a cheaper option I probably could have upgraded Spencer to Nunes, but I dunno who that would have been cost wise. If I remember right Menifield was pretty expensive like the $9000 range, and then he lost. I think Spencer was like 6800 - 7200 and Nunes was like mid9000 range maybe?

I doubt I'll bet it frequently, it's probably like Golf and the NBA for me where I'll be bored and miss sports and place a rando bet with essentially 0 knowledge.

Oh I've obviously heard of Connor McGregor too and whoever Chandler Jones' brother is, but I kinda assume the guys I've heard of are basically the LeBrons of UFC and are mostly irrelevant to a draftkings lineup because they'd be widely owned and dictate the entire budget of your lineup.

|AFO|
06-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Money and fame are a hell of a drug

Hugh
07-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Did you watch it, Wizzy?
I think Masvidal can take Usman if they fight again. He had zero time to prepare and Usman is a machine. Still he can’t stand with Masvidal for 5 rounds and if Jorge has a full camp training how to keep Usman at distance and off the ground I think he can knock him out.
Loved seeing Rose win again. UFC needs a Rose comeback.
Aldo fought better than I thought but the game has moved past him. It’s so weird that Aldo was only 28 and was on an 18-0 10 year undefeated streak when he fought Conor. He was in his prime and considered the pound-for-puns best cage fighter in the world. Conor knocked him out in 10 seconds...
And Aldo has lost 5 times since. He’s still tough but NOTHING like he was before Conor. That fight changed everything.

Hugh
07-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Yeah I felt the same way. It was an epic card on paper, which it why it sold 1.3 million PPVs. A huge number for the UFC, but it didn’t really live up to the hype. The rematch with Max and Volk was exactly like the first one with the exact result. The main event was exciting but Masvidal just didn’t have enough time to prep. I was glad Rose won her rematch with Andrade but I’m not sure I agree with the decision.

Hugh
08-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Be honest.
Who here is going to watch Mike Tyson fight Roy Jones Jr? I will, though I’m a tiny bit ashamed of how excited I am to see Tyson again.

Hugh
08-03-2020, 05:42 PM
I agree. I don’t see how RJJ can stay away from Tyson at 51. No way he has the quickness to stick and move like that anymore. Tyson looks like he can still do that same bob/weave/slip shit and throw bombs like he always did, at least for a couple of rounds.
I don’t see RJJ surviving 2 rounds with Tyson.

Hugh
10-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Khabib retired in the ring today after easily finishing Justin Gaethje. Hardly broke a sweat.
He always said he wanted to get to 30-0 then hang it up, but he called it quits at 29-0. Anyone else I would say he’ll come back for a superfight but Khabib doesn’t play games. His dad died, who had always been his trainer, and he said he seriously considered quitting then but decided to give Justin his chance. It wasn’t close.
Khabib is the greatest MMA fighter of all time. Most dominant champion and cage fighter to ever do it.

Zoticus
10-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Khabib = GOAT

100%

The Butcher
10-27-2020, 12:13 PM
I would like to respectfully disagree.

Khabib never lost, that's true, but 10-15 of his wins are total bums. He beat a lot of huge names in the division but he didn't beat them all (Ferguson for example). He ducked Tony several times, and I'm not sure why, as much as I love Tony I don't think he could have handled Khabib anyway.

He has 4 title defenses, total, ever. Jones has 15. FIF.TEEN.

he MIGHT be the best Lightweight of all time.. and he did earn my respect with this last fight for the first time. I am not knocking him down, please don't think that (because last year I was knocking him down, i hated the guy) but the MMA goat? I strongly disagree with this. I mean, McGregor had multiple titles at once at lightweight. (but I understand most of McGregors success is just him being a polarizing figure, i don't believe he had more than 1 title defense.)

I also don't agree with them moving him up to #1 PfP. I suppose, with all the controversy with Jones that it is appropriate at the moment.. but if JJ does fight at heavy weight and wins that belt, forget about it. He's already probably the greatest of all time, the only reason it's even a debate is because he's a fucking idiot who can't keep himself out of trouble.

The Butcher
10-27-2020, 12:48 PM
his wrestling, grappling and conditioning are top tier, and his drive and heart. But when someone says "GOAT", i think a lot of things have to be considered and one of the most crucial things is title defenses. I mean, Matt Sera was a champion... Bisping was a champion.. you wouldn't even consider them when talking about being the greatest of all time.

I'd have to really think if I could even call him the greatest lightweight of all time.. he may have the best record but I'd have to do some research.

Right now I have Jon Jones, Anderson Silva and Royce Gracie well above Khabib for the "GOAT" title. A case for GSP could easily be made also, but I'm not a huge fan of his.

The Butcher
10-27-2020, 03:39 PM
talking with a co worker about this exact thing just a few minutes ago - he made a good point i felt i should share

despite Khabib's opponents in his first 20 or so fights being pretty much no-names, he has never even been CLOSE to losing a fight. he may have lost 2 rounds in his career - 1 of them being round 1 vs McGregor. i remember seeing that round and thinking there was no way mcgregor was going to lose that fight, his takendown defense was incredible.

so - that is a great point to make in Khabib's favor.. but we both agreed he's no GOAT

The Butcher
10-28-2020, 08:19 AM
so i see UFC officially moved Khabib into the #1 PfP spot

Looking at the lineup, i do agree it's fair right now. Jones hasn't fought and in my opinion he needs to earn that title back. Khabib earned it.

Hugh
10-28-2020, 01:31 PM
I think there’s a good argument to be made for Jones or GSP for GOAT. GSP cleaned out the toughest division in MMA during his reign, old guard and up and comers. However, Johnny Hendricks kicked the shit out of him for 5 rounds, in my opinion, even though GSP got the win. Worst decision I’ve seen in the UFC, and it makes me wonder how GSP would do against a lot of fighters from this era he never faced. Keep in mind, GSP isn’t even 40 yet.
Anderson Silva dominated a lot of potatoes for a long time. Yeah he was the man, but guys like Forrest Griffin, Stephan Bonnar, Chris Leben, Rich Franklin and James Irvin would try to kickbox him and it was just stupid. They had nowhere near his skill or experience. Then Anderson hung around too long and started getting his ass kicked by everyone. He’s still doing that.
Bones has never actually been beaten since he got to the UFC ( minus the 1 DQ ). As far as GOAT, he might be, but he’s been in a lot of wars lately.
Some people say Khabib has never even lost a round. I’ve never seen him in actual trouble. I know he beats the shit out of everyone the exact same way, but he still beats the shit out of everyone. Tony Ferguson is talking shit about Khabib “running away”. After what Khabib just did to Gaethje, and seeing how he handled Conor and Dustin, pretty easy to say he’d do the exact same to Tony.
Khabib is 32. Maybe he takes some time off and comes back and cleans out everyone else. Then his GOAT status will be cemented. But I agree he probably needs to do more.

The Butcher
10-28-2020, 03:14 PM
great points Hugh

Hugh
10-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Well you got me thinking and you’re right. He isn’t the GOAT. As dominant as he was, he didn’t do enough.
If there’s a chapter 2 to his career I think he will be.

Hugh
10-30-2020, 02:27 PM
Khabib should come back and go for the welterweight belt.
Khabib is a big lightweight. He might have not even legitimately made weight in his last fight. Conor occasionally goes up to fight welterweight and Khabib is a bigger guy than Conor.
He should come back and go for the welterweight belt. They would probably put him right into a title match against Usman, or a warm up fight with Covington or Masvidal first. Either way it would be epic.
If he wants to be the undisputed GOAT, that’s the way to do it.

The Butcher
10-30-2020, 03:15 PM
Personally i really like the lightweight division without him in it, so I'd be down for that.

Speaking of GOATs, thoughts on Silvas last fight coming up?

Hugh
10-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Silva even just 5 years ago would KO Uriah Hall but now? He’s 45 years old. I don’t see it.
I hope he does. I liked Hall when he came through TUF but he’s been a major disappointment and now at 36 he’s basically past it. It’s a great final fight for Silva. An opponent who loves to trade and occasionally gets knocked out.
I don’t know what will happen but I’ll be rooting for Silva. It would be awesome to see the Spider get one last finish before hanging it up.
What do you think?

Hugh
11-29-2020, 02:38 AM
Watched the highlights of the Tyson/RJJ exhibition on YouTube and it really did look like Tyson could have KO’d Jones at any time if it was a real fight. Not that it should surprise anyone.
Also I saw the highlight of Jake Paul knocking out Nate Robinson the basketball player and I still have no idea why a fight between those two people even happened on tv much less PPV, but it looked like a good KO.

Hugh
11-29-2020, 02:16 PM
I hate Jake/Logan Paul cause they're pretty terrible people.. but I can not deny the fact that Jake Paul knows how to fuckin' box. What the fuck.

@Hugh: Jake Paul fought some youtuber in a boxing match a while back and won. So now it's kind of a "thing". I wonder if he'll fight again/against who. I really wanna see him get knocked out -_-

Okay, I looked up his brother’s fight. They both look pretty damn good in the ring considering they aren’t real boxers. Still don’t know what Nate Robinson was doing but it’s probably like when 50 cent threw the first pitch out at a Mets game. Honestly looked like my grandma throwing it. Clearly he had never thrown any kind of ball in his life and had no idea what he was doing, but he’s too far up his own ass to realize it.
Same with Nate Robinson. He’s probably like “ Hey I was a professional athlete. I can totally kick this guys ass. I mean I’ve never been in a fight or even punched anyone but how hard can it be?”

Hugh
01-17-2021, 07:27 PM
I didn’t see it. I was stuck at work last night and forgot to record it.
Shitfuckdammit!

Hugh
01-23-2021, 08:13 PM
Return of Conor tonight. Just started watching the prelims.
It’ll be a better fight than before with Dustin I think, and by better I mean I doubt he’ll finish Dustin in the 1st round again.
But Conor will still finish him. The power difference is just too great. I say Conor KOs him in the 3rd.