PDA

View Full Version : Balance and Debugging - Alpha Release

Mar
09-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Alright guys, I got the game up and running and it's pretty smooth so far. I urge anyone that hasn't checked it out to give it a go right now. I've got some questions, though:

1) What is Prefab?

2) Do we get a choice to play with regular or hex tiles?

Comments:

1) Maybe add unit stats on the top left and what the selected unit is since it's kind of hard to see the animations and make out the unit.

2) Make the question mark a hover over feature to check unit stats, use the area on the top left to add stats.

3) I noticed that the units can move nearly the length of half the board, especially the dragon. If you remember in classic TAO, it would take any given unit multiple turns to make it to the opposite side of the board.

4) I would rather the units be out in the open from the beginning of the game, the fact that some are hidden makes it hard to formulate a strategy from the beginning, the point isn't to attack blindly and I don't think we should encourage it.

That's all I have for now, curious to see what others think about it.

Mar
09-29-2016, 01:46 AM
I really like it so far, it has that tactics feel.

Hulky
09-29-2016, 02:05 AM
1) Prefab I assume you are talking about from the campaign mode when you buy units. That's because that menu takes the name info from the wrong area. The name I named the Prefabs were like UnitNamePrefab, so DragonPrefab for example. Then the DragonPrefab has scripts attached to it and the prefabs with scripts are loaded into a unit list and in the unit list there is three attachments a name, a prefab connection and a sprite connection so that purchase menu is taking name info from the prefab line instead of the name line. In game functionally I think everywhere will have the correct naming (I think health and AP levels were some weird numbers too, but the maxes were correct). If that's not what you are asking about a Prefab is when you create an object that you want to use multiple times so you make it once as a prefab (prefabricated object) with all the scripts and animations and controllers attached then can reference it in different places.

2) I put hex tiles into the campaign mode because people wanted to try it months ago. So that's a game mode you can test hex on to see if you guys like it more or not. One thing I'd like to point out about hex is making the tappered corners, or something similarly interesting strategic board is much harder and someone that really wants hex should design a board that I can make a mode implementing if they want.

1) In this you can also zoom in to see your unit (I think parts of the campaign it's hard to zoom on the far left/right sides if I remember right), I also messed up on the hotseat multiplayer by making both players yellow. I should have changed the other player faction to red or something else on the health bars to make IDing easier.

3) I think the dragon has the same range as a DT in TAO in terms of movement and attack (minus the attack isn't just in a line and the board is a row or column larger). The real question on this is the Action Points (AP), I can make them apply to movement as well (Wizard is an example of this btw if you want to see how it works). If you guys balance the units with that system in mind. All the non-Wizard units have a 0AP cost for movement right now so you can move faster.

4) are you talking about deploying units? You can deploy them and reselect them from the board to place them back in the to be place queue. If not I think you might be talking to the Fog of War in campaign mode, which I included to show off how different units can have differing "sights" but I went over that fast so I think they all have sights equal to the larger of either range or movement, or that number plus one (not sure that was a while ago). I didn't think Fog of War would be something we actually want, but thought it was worth showing as an option.

____

PS off the bat the menu is messed up in some scenes, specifically I noticed this if you hit restart and then try to return to the main menu, just quit the application and reopen it for now to get back out.

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Comments:

1) Maybe add unit stats on the top left and what the selected unit is since it's kind of hard to see the animations and make out the unit.

3) I noticed that the units can move nearly the length of half the board, especially the dragon. If you remember in classic TAO, it would take any given unit multiple turns to make it to the opposite side of the board.

4) I would rather the units be out in the open from the beginning of the game, the fact that some are hidden makes it hard to formulate a strategy from the beginning, the point isn't to attack blindly and I don't think we should encourage it.

That's all I have for now, curious to see what others think about it.

I think these might be the main issues that I noticed as well. Trying to think of others right now from my playing last night but Kash hit the nail on the head.

#4 I'm pretty sure he means the AI's units are hidden at the other side of the board, making it difficult to pre-determine where you want to move your own unit to for the best point of attack. Honestly though, until the AI is a little smarter I think that it's fine the way it is with the "Fog of War" I assume we're all talking about. Makes it a *bit* more difficult

Mar
09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
What do you guys think about the angle you can view the board?

Also what happened to being able to choose the direction you're standing?

Mar
09-29-2016, 12:19 PM
1) Prefab I assume you are talking about from the campaign mode when you buy units. That's because that menu takes the name info from the wrong area. The name I named the Prefabs were like UnitNamePrefab, so DragonPrefab for example. Then the DragonPrefab has scripts attached to it and the prefabs with scripts are loaded into a unit list and in the unit list there is three attachments a name, a prefab connection and a sprite connection so that purchase menu is taking name info from the prefab line instead of the name line. In game functionally I think everywhere will have the correct naming (I think health and AP levels were some weird numbers too, but the maxes were correct). If that's not what you are asking about a Prefab is when you create an object that you want to use multiple times so you make it once as a prefab (prefabricated object) with all the scripts and animations and controllers attached then can reference it in different places.

2) I put hex tiles into the campaign mode because people wanted to try it months ago. So that's a game mode you can test hex on to see if you guys like it more or not. One thing I'd like to point out about hex is making the tappered corners, or something similarly interesting strategic board is much harder and someone that really wants hex should design a board that I can make a mode implementing if they want.

1) In this you can also zoom in to see your unit (I think parts of the campaign it's hard to zoom on the far left/right sides if I remember right), I also messed up on the hotseat multiplayer by making both players yellow. I should have changed the other player faction to red or something else on the health bars to make IDing easier.

3) I think the dragon has the same range as a DT in TAO in terms of movement and attack (minus the attack isn't just in a line and the board is a row or column larger). The real question on this is the Action Points (AP), I can make them apply to movement as well (Wizard is an example of this btw if you want to see how it works). If you guys balance the units with that system in mind. All the non-Wizard units have a 0AP cost for movement right now so you can move faster.

4) are you talking about deploying units? You can deploy them and reselect them from the board to place them back in the to be place queue. If not I think you might be talking to the Fog of War in campaign mode, which I included to show off how different units can have differing "sights" but I went over that fast so I think they all have sights equal to the larger of either range or movement, or that number plus one (not sure that was a while ago). I didn't think Fog of War would be something we actually want, but thought it was worth showing as an option.

____

PS off the bat the menu is messed up in some scenes, specifically I noticed this if you hit restart and then try to return to the main menu, just quit the application and reopen it for now to get back out.

I would rather play with normal tiles for now, just to balance the units, then we can do hex. It's just a different game with the hex.

I'm talking about the Fog of War, I think it would be hard to strategize at any point if we can't see. It would require people jotting down notes for positioning and that's way too much work.

Hulky
09-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Also what happened to being able to choose the direction you're standing?

I haven't figured that one out yet.

If you could comment on the unit stats and how they play out (if you want to test with implied units in the way block ranged shots you can, I'll try and figure it out by the time it's networked multiplayer)

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 07:21 PM
In regards to unit stats, all units seem pretty easy to kill. Maybe buff the healths?

Mar
09-29-2016, 07:23 PM
Which ones in paticular, Wizzy? Can you recommend some changes?

Wizzy
09-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Yeah pretty much everything you said in your initial post I had discussed with Hulky earlier that night when he sent me the Alpha to make sure it was able to run, including turn direction being missing. I'll be looking for some other things to give input on at some point.

In regards to which units in particular are squishy, I'd say all of them. They could all use a health boost. I don't have the unit health in front of me right now to go down the list and say which should be buffed but I'll do that too when I get the chance. Some units don't need a health buff because they are crazy OP already and should die fast. I.E Illusionist

There's also the chance of this happening: http://i.imgur.com/DgnKF51.png and I let Hulky know but he was already aware of the issue

Also I don't mean to boost the health 30+ points or anything crazy.

Mar
10-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Anyone with any ideas (Brandon) can post in here.

Hulky
10-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I could have used some feedback on a few things:

1) Why no one outside of Wizzy and Kash played it.
2) Why it only held your interest for a short duration of time (I seriously think on an average day of TAO I spent more time clicking my avatar up and down on the lobby than people spent time play testing this).
3) The balance of the units, what units were OP and what ones were correct. Any unit you'd remove to make it balanced, any unit you'd add, changes whatever.

Literally anything. When I work on the game (which I keep doing) I see basically no thoughts (the ones that are there, are there but I check this multiple times a day and it's hard for just Wizzy and Kash to get the conversation going with just two people). Is it my fault for not giving super detailed play by play or something? I need input if you want it to be a game you guys helped with otherwise it's going to be just what I make and I am far less likely to change it after the fact because I am not really a fan of wasting all my time and energy.

Omni
10-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Could be a few things:

- It's a downloadable file so people didn't bother to try it
- It's not online so people are still waiting for the final product
- It's a .exe file so mac users (like me) won't be able to run it

Hulky
10-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Things like unit stats and abilities you don't even have to play to balance or comment on though. Now I'm working on a browser networked one with very little input on units which is going to disappoint people when they start playing and it's not however they wanted.

Omni
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Upon a quick glance at the units, they seem balanced in my opinion. But keep in mind, when making abilities such as stun/silence, they should have lower infliction rates and last for short durations such as 1-2 turns if the unit does not need to focus on an enemy (ie. Frost golem must focus on one enemy in order to keep the status infliction) - or else it will be game breaking.

Hulky
10-13-2016, 06:02 PM
- It's a .exe file so mac users (like me) won't be able to run it

If anyone missed the facebook post or the announcements post, the mac version is now downloadable at: www.taoforums.com/alpha.html

|AFO|
10-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I played the mac version for a bit today. Looks pretty cool and I had fun beating up on the AI. I'm not a fan of the octagonal board though. You can't control the flow of your opponent much at all, which means theres really no point in playing defensively. Overall I didn't think that any single unit was OPd. Its tough to judge against the AI though.

Mar
10-17-2016, 01:40 AM
I like the idea of square tiles and seeing where that goes. It makes the board larger and allows for better movement and defensive strategies.

Hulky
10-17-2016, 02:52 AM
I like the idea of square tiles and seeing where that goes. It makes the board larger and allows for better movement and defensive strategies.

I agree on squares, but people wanted to see hex so I used that in that one mode. However Hex doesn't make the board smaller. I can make the board any size or shape I want. I can make 50x100 if I wanted. It is better for defensive strategies though since fewer angles make for less units needed to block movement off.

Mar
10-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I agree on squares, but people wanted to see hex so I used that in that one mode. However Hex doesn't make the board smaller. I can make the board any size or shape I want. I can make 50x100 if I wanted. It is better for defensive strategies though since fewer angles make for less units needed to block movement off.

Agreed, and defense is a big part of the game. It would also be easier to figure out LOS with square tiles, I think. I'll have some more feedback this weekend, I just have midterms going on now and they end this week so I'll be playing it a lot more after.

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:09 PM
I just noticed there isn't teleportation yet, is that not a thing anymore?

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:16 PM
My knight completely owned that priestess, is it supposed to be like that? Also, I noticed that there aren't "finish off units" like the mudquake would do 5 damage and kill something, I noticed that every unit attacks with a significant percentage, at least 30% of the opponents health is taken off. Should we ratio it so that units last longer?

I'm supporting longer games, so making the board bigger and making the units sturdier is what I'd go for. This would allow for more strategies than just moving and attacking. Right now it's really, really hard to strategize. I'm not sure if it's the hex board, the fog or my unfamiliarity with these units (maybe the latter), but I'm having trouble forming an attack plan (like getting rid of range or killing cleric first etc). Right now my attack patters and the AI's attack patterns are random.

Since this is the case, I'm going to get more familiar with the game then I can give some balance input. But I'd definitely increase the ratios right now just so units last longer, maybe add a finish off units, and make the board bigger. Maybe introduce obstacles on the board that you have to play around, like rocks. You can also use these in your attack.

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:18 PM
I was also hoping that there would be an option to check the opponents stats when you click it on the board.

p.s this fog is really throwing off my strategy. Do you like it, AFO?

Maverik
10-18-2016, 08:20 PM
where is the link to download the game?

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:23 PM
If you have a Mac: http://taoforums.com/showthread.php?396-Pre-Alpha-Mac-game-released&p=19431#post19431

If you have a PC then instructions are on this forum somewhere too.

Maverik
10-18-2016, 08:26 PM
Macs are for losers

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:30 PM
http://taoforums.com/showthread.php?359-Pre-Alpha-game-released

Mar
10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Make sure to post suggestions in here

Wizzy
10-18-2016, 09:33 PM
where is the link to download the game?

Everything you need to navigate the different threads Hulky has made regarding the game are in this sticky I made that no one looks at apparently

http://taoforums.com/showthread.php?363-New-Game-Updates

Mar
10-18-2016, 10:17 PM
For hotseat multiplayer, the orientation of the units are backward. For the player on the right, his units face to the right.

Mar
10-18-2016, 10:41 PM
How do you think the Illusionist is OP? I think the Wizard is OP, but I like the idea of having a powerful unit with low defense capabilities, reminds me of the witch.

Aristocatt
10-19-2016, 12:05 AM
I just noticed there isn't teleportation yet, is that not a thing anymore?

Teleportation is easier to do than unit blocking. Animations are also easier. Only reason there wouldn't be teleportation in an end game, is because it's decided that it is a bad game mechanic.

Mar
10-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Teleportation is easier to do than unit blocking. Animations are also easier. Only reason there wouldn't be teleportation in an end game, is because it's decided that it is a bad game mechanic.

Why is it a bad game mechanic? Not teleportation anywhere, I mean the ability to pass a unit that's blocking the way. Like the dragon can do, not like the Illusionist.

Aristocatt
10-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Why is it a bad game mechanic? Not teleportation anywhere, I mean the ability to pass a unit that's blocking the way. Like the dragon can do, not like the Illusionist.

I'm not saying it is...just saying there is no reason other than game mechanics/balancing not to have teleportation.

Mar
10-19-2016, 01:50 AM
I'm not saying it is...just saying there is no reason other than game mechanics/balancing not to have teleportation.

How's your game coming along? I'm really looking forward to it, too.

Aristocatt
10-19-2016, 01:57 AM
How's your game coming along? I'm really looking forward to it, too.

It's coming along well. The last major thing I need to do is figure out the three.js framework. Or just throw together a bunch shitty 2D graphics. I won't be able to combine Unity with the browser anytime soon though, if I ever manage to get to that.

|AFO|
10-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Are you working on allowing units to pass through, Hulky? Or are you going it more like chess? I'm not sure if I'd dislike it if it stays this way, per se, but it definitely changes the game pretty significantly. I think it makes defending significantly harder since you can't retreat a unit as easily. Are the blocking mechanics going to change? I really think it should vary depending on the side you attack from, and also that would add in the need for your ability to change unit direction. Dragon attacks should be unblock able IMO. High wait time (and i assume he will count as 2/10 unit slots) means he's gotta hit every time. Otherwise he's useless. Blocking is a pain in the ass right now. I've seen the paladin dude block like 4 shots in a row. Da fuq. Illusionist is a boss. I think 8 Illusionists and 2 paladins = auto-win, but I could be wrong. Shrub flanks, move in, attack, teleport away. Repeat until win. At first I thought the wizard was OPd but I think he's cool. Easy to kill, but powerful. Similar to witch. I'm not sure how useful the priestess is. I can see what its trying to do, but I'm not sure about its practicality. A lot of the units are tough to judge due to the play of the AI. Though I did just had a decently tough game when the AI actually attacked with almost all his units. He never heals though. What's up with that? lol. Are we going to get any focus units?

Bugs: I'm not sure if you're aware, but on the mac version, units seem to randomly jump off the tile they are supposed to be on. And in the campaign mode, the game kind of "freezes" when its your opponents turn and there is a shrub left on the board. I guess the game recognizes the shrubs as units, but they can't move so the turn gets stuck.

My knight completely owned that priestess, is it supposed to be like that? Also, I noticed that there aren't "finish off units" like the mudquake would do 5 damage and kill something, I noticed that every unit attacks with a significant percentage, at least 30% of the opponents health is taken off. Should we ratio it so that units last longer?

Pretty sure that's supposed to be like that. Priestess is a healer. Knight is a tank. Tanks should own healers. In terms of 5 damage attacks, mud was the only to do that. I do think that damage should be decreased for illusionist and maybe some other units. Dragon is good. Knight might be good too.

I'm supporting longer games, so making the board bigger and making the units sturdier is what I'd go for. This would allow for more strategies than just moving and attacking. Right now it's really, really hard to strategize. I'm not sure if it's the hex board, the fog or my unfamiliarity with these units (maybe the latter), but I'm having trouble forming an attack plan (like getting rid of range or killing cleric first etc). Right now my attack patters and the AI's attack patterns are random.

Disagree on longer games w/ bigger board. Sturdier units may be beneficial. But I'm not too sure yet. Attack patterns definitely seem random from the AI, but I haven't really had a problem organizing my attack. Maybe you just need to play a few more games? I see a lot of similarities w/ TAO, but just figuring out each unit changes the mechanics slightly.

Since this is the case, I'm going to get more familiar with the game then I can give some balance input. But I'd definitely increase the ratios right now just so units last longer, maybe add a finish off units, and make the board bigger. Maybe introduce obstacles on the board that you have to play around, like rocks. You can also use these in your attack.

Board doesn't need to be bigger for Player v. Player. Maybe in campaign mode the board can be large with obstacles and even hex tiles. I think that could be a cool change in pace. But i like PvP should keep the board relatively small.

I was also hoping that there would be an option to check the opponents stats when you click it on the board.

p.s this fog is really throwing off my strategy. Do you like it, AFO?

I do like FOG. Agreed on checking opponents stats.

How do you think the Illusionist is OP? I think the Wizard is OP, but I like the idea of having a powerful unit with low defense capabilities, reminds me of the witch.

Illusionist is OPd. I think damage needs to be reduced dramatically. Or it shouldn't be able to attack twice. It def shouldn't be allowed to Move/Attack/Teleport in the same turn. Def OPd. I'm not so sure about the Wizard. I think its pretty good. Easy unit to kill.

Hulky
10-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the burst of feedback. Going to edit this post with some responses.

@Kash: Your board size issue is just on Campaign which is not a mode I'd make in a multiplayer. It was more look at some other things that could be done (Hex, purchase units, fog of war, etc.). The mode that would look like the networked game would be most like the Hotseat multiplayer (but the other player wouldn't be the same color, that was a derp. Hotseat or v. AI one of those both teams are the same color). Teleportation exists on the Illusionist as an ability.

@AFO & Kash: The walking past your team probably has something to do with colliders and checking if there is something in the way (similar issue to LOS, and when I get to LOS I think the "side step friendly" could be done around there.)

@Kash Illusionist is the best unit hands down lol. Even more broken is it can teleport off the grid in the hotseat mode which isn't a bug as much as it is an issue with coding. Generating the grid makes rectangles (like 11x12) thing you disable certain tiles to make the shape we wanted. For some reason though the teleport ability still sees these disabled tiles.

@AFO&Kash: If you want to look at the Unit Stats and compare them to TAO, divide the power and health by 3.

@AFO: Yeah a plant is a unit so the AI just doesn't know what to do so they infinite stall. If you are playing campaign you gotta kill the shrubs before the last unit.

Mar
10-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Are you working on allowing units to pass through, Hulky? Or are you going it more like chess? I'm not sure if I'd dislike it if it stays this way, per se, but it definitely changes the game pretty significantly. I think it makes defending significantly harder since you can't retreat a unit as easily. Are the blocking mechanics going to change? I really think it should vary depending on the side you attack from, and also that would add in the need for your ability to change unit direction. Dragon attacks should be unblock able IMO. High wait time (and i assume he will count as 2/10 unit slots) means he's gotta hit every time. Otherwise he's useless. Blocking is a pain in the ass right now. I've seen the paladin dude block like 4 shots in a row. Da fuq.

Are we going to get any focus units?

I pretty much agree with all of this, wondering about focus units too. Friendly pass should be an option because that does drastically change the game, and for the better too.

Pretty sure that's supposed to be like that. Priestess is a healer. Knight is a tank. Tanks should own healers. In terms of 5 damage attacks, mud was the only to do that. I do think that damage should be decreased for illusionist and maybe some other units. Dragon is good. Knight might be good too.

Priestess is not only a healer, it could attack too. The AI just attacked me with it so I went ahead and hit it with my knight. I like the theory of a mudgolem, let's make it happen. The mud golem would be so key in evening out the HP that Seed planned it out so well. For example, dragon hits scout, mud golem mudquakes and done. There are so many more attack patterns that required the mudgolem, which is why it was used so often in both styles. Removing focus, for example. Or removing shrubs.

I definitely think we need to make it easier to see unit stats, it should be something like a hover mechanism. Hover over the unit to see its stats, similar to TAO.

Disagree on longer games w/ bigger board. Sturdier units may be beneficial. But I'm not too sure yet. Attack patterns definitely seem random from the AI, but I haven't really had a problem organizing my attack. Maybe you just need to play a few more games? I see a lot of similarities w/ TAO, but just figuring out each unit changes the mechanics slightly.

I probably do need to play a few more games, been busy. There have been a similarities with TAO, not a lot, and I like that. We need to keep the essence of TAO while creating a completely new game.

Board doesn't need to be bigger for Player v. Player. Maybe in campaign mode the board can be large with obstacles and even hex tiles. I think that could be a cool change in pace. But i like PvP should keep the board relatively small.

Are you thinking about the size of the TAO board or a bit smaller? Because in opposite side games, it would at least 3 turns to get to the other side of the board.

I do like FOG. Agreed on checking opponents stats.

Fog is fine. The only thing I'm worried about is that people are just going to sketch where a unit is so I don't see a point to it really, it doesn't help formulate an attack plan more than it does test your memory. In tournament games, the guy that can simply remember where his opponents pieces are has an advantage, this won't work if someone is time cramped or when playing blitz games.

Illusionist is OPd. I think damage needs to be reduced dramatically. Or it shouldn't be able to attack twice. It def shouldn't be allowed to Move/Attack/Teleport in the same turn. Def OPd. I'm not so sure about the Wizard. I think its pretty good. Easy unit to kill.

I agree with this. It can teleport anywhere on the board too which makes it way too dangerous. We can muzzle it, but maybe we can think of creating a new unit that counters that power, like a defensive unit. We don't have many defensive units in play right now.

So, do we pretty much agree on square tiles for pvp?

Mar
10-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the burst of feedback. Going to edit this post with some responses.

@Kash: Your board size issue is just on Campaign which is not a mode I'd make in a multiplayer. It was more look at some other things that could be done (Hex, purchase units, fog of war, etc.). The mode that would look like the networked game would be most like the Hotseat multiplayer (but the other player wouldn't be the same color, that was a derp. Hotseat or v. AI one of those both teams are the same color). Teleportation exists on the Illusionist as an ability.

I like Hex, purchase units and fog of war in campaign mode. But for multiplayer and pvp I think it would be better if we did square tiles, no fog of war, and drops? Are we doing drops? It would be cool to have it random too rather than on an algorithm so someone like BR can't figure it out.

@AFO & Kash: The walking past your team probably has something to do with colliders and checking if there is something in the way (similar issue to LOS, and when I get to LOS I think the "side step friendly" could be done around there.)

How is LOS going by the way? For square and hex tiles?

@Kash Illusionist is the best unit hands down lol. Even more broken is it can teleport off the grid in the hotseat mode which isn't a bug as much as it is an issue with coding. Generating the grid makes rectangles (like 11x12) thing you disable certain tiles to make the shape we wanted. For some reason though the teleport ability still sees these disabled tiles.

Where did you get the idea for the illusionist? What do you think about a unit like the mudgolem that is used to even out damages to make them easier to kill. Like the dragon+mudquake combo for the scout. We don't copy the mudgolem, but something that can spread small but significant amounts of damage. This might be OP in hex considering how many tiles it would hit. But it would be interesting nontheless.

@AFO: Yeah a plant is a unit so the AI just doesn't know what to do so they infinite stall. If you are playing campaign you gotta kill the shrubs before the last unit.

I rarely shrub for some reason, do you think we could have a unit that is solely for the purpose of creating shrubs? Like the furgon. With other units, I'm attacking rather than shrubbing since I can't see a defensive strategy here.

Have you guys tried defending?

Hulky
10-23-2016, 09:54 PM
The Illusionist is the defensive unit. It makes shrubs way more efficiently than the Furgon especially with it being the only teleporting unit. The unintended part of the Illusionist (outside of teleporting off the map) is that it can double hit the same tile. My concept was basically an assassin/furgon hybrid. Ended up testing the teleport ability on that unit instead of the dragon and never switched it back (which I actually think is good after the fact so less "hop your line, snipe your healer".

I have a lot more units than in the alpha for elementals (which would basically be golems from TAO). They are constructed differently with the starts of the colliders for LOS and all that so they wouldn't make sense in the alpha that hadn't addressed those things yet.

Entrain
10-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Where do you find this game

Mar
10-24-2016, 10:25 AM
It's here: http://taoforums.com/showthread.php?359-Pre-Alpha-game-released

And here if you have a Mac: http://taoforums.com/showthread.php?396-Pre-Alpha-Mac-game-released

|AFO|
10-28-2016, 04:34 PM
What's the point of the halberdier? Does he have an ability? Seems like he's just a weak knight... Does he stun or something?

Hulky
10-28-2016, 05:00 PM
What's the point of the halberdier? Does he have an ability? Seems like he's just a weak knight... Does he stun or something?

Pretty sure it stuns on hit