View Full Version : TAO Top 100

Pages : 1 [2]

The One
06-16-2017, 01:30 AM
I'm lAFOl's schlong slinger.

Ftfy.

Veilmenacex
06-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Oh spencer why do you hate cliché so much he's a good guy and I don't want to come between you guys.

rainblade
06-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Veil is my bodyguard.

Say What?
02-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Young TAO player me is angry about not being on the list. To be honest, I'm still too overjoyed to see old names that have posted on this board in the past year that I spent hours playing TAO with.

-SW

Say What?
02-06-2018, 10:44 AM
just seeing someone sign their post makes the memba berries appear

It was one of my trademarks. Seeing this forum and old names....nostalgia level 1000....not going to not hit every post with a -SW ending. :)

-SW

max2k106
02-06-2018, 01:33 PM
It was one of my trademarks. Seeing this forum and old names....nostalgia level 1000....not going to not hit every post with a -SW ending. :)

-SW

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa mang! Haven't talked to you in about a decade ......... dafuk?

manonfire101
02-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Young TAO player me is angry about not being on the list. To be honest, I'm still too overjoyed to see old names that have posted on this board in the past year that I spent hours playing TAO with.

-SW

If you make a good case for yourself to be in the top 100 then I would seriously consider swapping you in for Spencer since Spencer is a shitty Canadian.

Say What?
02-16-2018, 12:51 AM
If you make a good case for yourself to be in the top 100 then I would seriously consider swapping you in for Spencer since Spencer is a shitty Canadian.

Okay I'll give it a shot....

TLDR:
1) I was a well known member of the community who was a clan leader for both Knights of the Round and Strategic Insomniacs.
2) I participated in all of the early tournaments but cannot recall the placements. I would defer to a better TAO historian for that, but I did also earn a 2nd Frost Golem on Rev server for my participation in one of the tourneys.
3) I've won and lost at a pretty even rate with players like Bottle, Frylock, and bludhoundz. I will say that there were times where a turtle game between Bottle and I would last hours. I have never played against a stronger and consistent turtle/grey player like Bottle.
4) I had 3 play styles I was best known for; standard gold turtle (with furgon), dropless grey, and legends grey (with double frost golem).
5) I was also an active member of a clan which may touch on some nostalgia for those who were on Banff and remember...but it was called Gold Jumpers. Basically we would look for grey jumping rush noob gold players and jump them instead as well versed greys. I think I remained anonymous mostly and played under the username Reckless_Abandon.

Here is the only snapshot I could find still there lingering as one that is viewable from the TAO web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040502182746/http://www.tacticsarenaonline.com:80/ranking/banff.html

This was a time in TAO when Banff was by far the server with the most talent and had representation from the 5 original big TAO clans of the time SI, Netjak, Tribunal, KotR, and Bludhoundz. I was 7th overall in this snapshot, and you can see some of the all time greats here on the leader board. The D brothers, Bottle, Twelve, Rantzu, Frylock, Jeffery, Big X, and many others. Many of the names on your list were still up and coming or newly gold like FryLock and Rantzu. I believe I ended up at least in the upper 1500's or lower-mid 1600's before my account went grey and I wiped, going part time to play on the Rev server with friends once and a while and eventually fading into the sunset.

When I look at the list it is hard to place myself. Being that I was never well versed with many of the Legends players, I can't argue against their qualifications. There is clear bias here, and I wish there were more active people who played against me a lot to weigh in. I also played in a time where 1600 was thought of as extremely high, and there was much less rating inflation with less players being 1400+ than later on.

High End bias pick I would say: 23 - I don't know Pikachu, but I know that at this spot there aren't specific tournament stats listed for him, and I can say with confidence that I have won against all players I recognize past this point consistently. I always had great matches up through the time I left the game against Bottle, Frylock, and Blud as previously mentioned. Aside from a few rush games from Blud and Fry, I don't recall ever being blown out in a game against them.

Middle Grade less bias pick I would say: 31 - Being ranked on a top 100 just a few spots after Draquist would be fitting as well to me. I learned a lot from both Draq and Darq as I grew as a player. They as brothers were two of my earliest friends in the game an we played tons of games against each other.

Conservative Pick: ....wait I am Say What? I would never rate myself conservatively. That is completely against my TAO persona. I'm amazing. (but realistically anywhere in the 41-45 mark makes sense for this level. I would never be able to rank myself out of the top 50. haha)

Being a part of the a recognized 100 players rankings of TAO would mean a lot to me. I'd love to get anyone's thoughts or recollections of playing against me. Even outside of just this ranking list. I miss the game, and this is a clear example of not knowing what you had before it's gone. TAO will always be a game that I could walk away from but never speak poorly of. It had ever bit of cool, and variety you could ask for in an online multiplayer turn based strategy game. Even more than that, we had the forums...our signatures...our clans. It is seeing the name Max2k106 and getting nostalgic of your first online friend. TAO was just an Epic time even as such a small part of my life.

-SW

Rubbish
03-02-2018, 10:25 PM
This thread hits me with the TAO feels :')

max2k106
03-03-2018, 08:23 PM

TLDR:
1) I was a well known member of the community who was a clan leader for both Knights of the Round and Strategic Insomniacs.
2) I participated in all of the early tournaments but cannot recall the placements. I would defer to a better TAO historian for that, but I did also earn a 2nd Frost Golem on Rev server for my participation in one of the tourneys.
3) I've won and lost at a pretty even rate with players like Bottle, Frylock, and bludhoundz. I will say that there were times where a turtle game between Bottle and I would last hours. I have never played against a stronger and consistent turtle/grey player like Bottle.
4) I had 3 play styles I was best known for; standard gold turtle (with furgon), dropless grey, and legends grey (with double frost golem).
5) I was also an active member of a clan which may touch on some nostalgia for those who were on Banff and remember...but it was called Gold Jumpers. Basically we would look for grey jumping rush noob gold players and jump them instead as well versed greys. I think I remained anonymous mostly and played under the username Reckless_Abandon.

Here is the only snapshot I could find still there lingering as one that is viewable from the TAO web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040502182746/http://www.tacticsarenaonline.com:80/ranking/banff.html

This was a time in TAO when Banff was by far the server with the most talent and had representation from the 5 original big TAO clans of the time SI, Netjak, Tribunal, KotR, and Bludhoundz. I was 7th overall in this snapshot, and you can see some of the all time greats here on the leader board. The D brothers, Bottle, Twelve, Rantzu, Frylock, Jeffery, Big X, and many others. Many of the names on your list were still up and coming or newly gold like FryLock and Rantzu. I believe I ended up at least in the upper 1500's or lower-mid 1600's before my account went grey and I wiped, going part time to play on the Rev server with friends once and a while and eventually fading into the sunset.

When I look at the list it is hard to place myself. Being that I was never well versed with many of the Legends players, I can't argue against their qualifications. There is clear bias here, and I wish there were more active people who played against me a lot to weigh in. I also played in a time where 1600 was thought of as extremely high, and there was much less rating inflation with less players being 1400+ than later on.

High End bias pick I would say: 23 - I don't know Pikachu, but I know that at this spot there aren't specific tournament stats listed for him, and I can say with confidence that I have won against all players I recognize past this point consistently. I always had great matches up through the time I left the game against Bottle, Frylock, and Blud as previously mentioned. Aside from a few rush games from Blud and Fry, I don't recall ever being blown out in a game against them.

Middle Grade less bias pick I would say: 31 - Being ranked on a top 100 just a few spots after Draquist would be fitting as well to me. I learned a lot from both Draq and Darq as I grew as a player. They as brothers were two of my earliest friends in the game an we played tons of games against each other.

Conservative Pick: ....wait I am Say What? I would never rate myself conservatively. That is completely against my TAO persona. I'm amazing. (but realistically anywhere in the 41-45 mark makes sense for this level. I would never be able to rank myself out of the top 50. haha)

Being a part of the a recognized 100 players rankings of TAO would mean a lot to me. I'd love to get anyone's thoughts or recollections of playing against me. Even outside of just this ranking list. I miss the game, and this is a clear example of not knowing what you had before it's gone. TAO will always be a game that I could walk away from but never speak poorly of. It had ever bit of cool, and variety you could ask for in an online multiplayer turn based strategy game. Even more than that, we had the forums...our signatures...our clans. It is seeing the name Max2k106 and getting nostalgic of your first online friend. TAO was just an Epic time even as such a small part of my life.

-SW

Yo, SW was clutch. Dude spanked me the one time I wasn't pussy enough to play him for realz.

Put him on top 100. I don't know most of the dudes on there and I'm a goddam legend! !!! /Dennis

rainblade
03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
big hairy balls advocacy

Aristocatt
03-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Unbiased ranking for myself -- #1

I was the best, and we all know it.

Say What?
03-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Yo, SW was clutch. Dude spanked me the one time I wasn't pussy enough to play him for realz.

Put him on top 100. I don't know most of the dudes on there and I'm a goddam legend! !!! /Dennis

Thanks Max! Once we were clan mates we got to play much more often. :) You were a good player as well. You definitely are a big part of why I liked TAO in the first place.

-SW

rainblade
03-08-2018, 03:14 AM
Unbiased ranking for myself -- #1

I was the best, and we all know it.

lol you are a goober

rainblade
03-08-2018, 03:16 PM
I think bludz and I only ever played turtle. This was right around the time when Magician was dominating turtle. I think bludz beat me most of the time but we've only played a handful of games. He's actually one of the only people with a winning record on me, if I recall correctly.

The Butcher
03-08-2018, 06:06 PM
part of me wishes i had been better at the actual game but it's insanely irrelevant now.

getting 1500+ using just turtle on Zombie was good enough for me.

bludhoundz
03-09-2018, 08:29 AM
SW was definitely good. The only thing holding him back in terms of this ranking is longevity / timing. The list is kinda biased toward people who played later in the TAO era, and there's a pretty good reason for that. There were more tournaments and so it was kinda easier to really get a gauge on skill levels. Some of the stronger players early on like TCBB could probably have earned a spot in the top 10, but his skill level is more based on conjecture than hard evidence in that respect.

Also dude SW that screenshot brings back memories

and FWIW Cliche we once played a freestyle game where you brought a turtle against my anti and we had opp sides. You were crushing me so I quit early. I remember you claiming it was a flawless (technically it was since I took no pieces) but I was pretty sure I coulda gotten one piece to save face if I cared :p

bludhoundz
03-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Also, I tend not to bring this up because I was on the winning PSST team in PSST1 where Bottle was captain, but I am pretty sure our team cheated. I mean, we drafted some unknown kid (I forget his name, I think it was Shadow Beast) who ended up beating FryLock in grey and someone else who was pretty good. Guy basically solo'd it for us in the end and was a complete no-name. It was probably a second Bottle account, although it could have been someone else. Pretty sure a lot of people said Bottle = Guide too.... not sure if that was ever clarified or whatever, but I remember being fairly convinced of it at one point. Not that it really bothered me or anything, but yeah

Looking at this list makes me miss the rev days where manon deto prof and I would just talk mad shit lol, and of course the early days

Say What?
03-09-2018, 09:16 AM
SW was definitely good. The only thing holding him back in terms of this ranking is longevity / timing. The list is kinda biased toward people who played later in the TAO era, and there's a pretty good reason for that. There were more tournaments and so it was kinda easier to really get a gauge on skill levels. Some of the stronger players early on like TCBB could probably have earned a spot in the top 10, but his skill level is more based on conjecture than hard evidence in that respect.

Also dude SW that screenshot brings back memories

and FWIW Cliche we once played a freestyle game where you brought a turtle against my anti and we had opp sides. You were crushing me so I quit early. I remember you claiming it was a flawless (technically it was since I took no pieces) but I was pretty sure I coulda gotten one piece to save face if I cared :p

I agree. Totally why I even though I would want to put myself up there with you, Fry, and Bottle, I objectively couldn't. Wasn't easy to try and be objective! ;)

-SW

rainblade
03-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Well I had no idea about that. I figured he was a secondary but I think secondaries in certain tournaments is common.

I'm pretty sure I was upset you quit early so I claimed flawless to piss you off. haha

Greendaybum5
03-11-2018, 02:33 PM

TLDR:

-SW

Well shit look at that photo. I remember when Chernz disappeared. Was such a sad time in KoTR!

Say What?
03-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Well shit look at that photo. I remember when Chernz disappeared. Was such a sad time in KoTR!

A bunch of people all left at once. :(

-SW

imugabir
03-12-2018, 03:03 AM
Anyone remember a high ranking gray 1600+ in legends server? I remember he had a setup similar to this:
https://i.imgur.com/kkuCCPw.jpg

Say What?
03-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Anyone remember a high ranking gray 1600+ in legends server? I remember he had a setup similar to this:
https://i.imgur.com/kkuCCPw.jpg

I had a similar legends grey set up I used on the Rev server. I believe I used a Furgon instead of a 2nd cleric. :)

rainblade
03-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Terrible setup. Would crush.

lol

imugabir
03-12-2018, 05:15 PM
setup might not exactly be like that, but the guy who was using it had the highest gray rating in legends. It's bugging me that I can't remember his name

rainblade
03-12-2018, 05:18 PM
You're a loser.

Say What?
03-12-2018, 05:48 PM

lol

Some tweaking, a LW instead of beast rider, and add a furgon instead of 2 clerics and you have a powerful legends grey. I don't think I lost more than a couple of legends grey style games on Rev with double frosty + furgon. :)

manonfire101
03-12-2018, 06:19 PM

lol

You can play grey? :p

Who knew.

imugabir
03-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Some tweaking, a LW instead of beast rider, and add a furgon instead of 2 clerics and you have a powerful legends grey. I don't think I lost more than a couple of legends grey style games on Rev with double frosty + furgon. :)

I don't know if I'd agree with using single clerics.

Double frost with furg when used right was the most frustrating set to play against IMO

That + double frostys...if only the mud golem's special attack didn't exist.

Why are those units so blurry?

They are just placeholder sprites.

rainblade
03-13-2018, 11:18 AM
You can play grey? :p

Who knew.

It was easily my worst style. Grey games really made my ADHD go nuts.

Gryph
03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
I remember on GL there used to be a grey named Konnrakk who used to hang out between AL and NJ, who would on average be 1450-1500 as a grey every month, and his set was always 3 enchantresses and 2 barrier wards, it was incredibly funny cause he'd roflstomp random golds at times with it. I played against him a few times with it

Say What?
03-23-2018, 10:34 AM
I remember on GL there used to be a grey named Konnrakk who used to hang out between AL and NJ, who would on average be 1450-1500 as a grey every month, and his set was always 3 enchantresses and 2 barrier wards, it was incredibly funny cause he'd roflstomp random golds at times with it. I played against him a few times with it

He must have played many games each month with the resets to get back to 3 enchantresses and 2 barrier wards for his normal set.

-SW

rainblade
03-24-2018, 03:20 PM
I don't think I've ever lost to a grey with a gold, for whatever that's worth. I've beaten some solid golds with grey: ZEUS, El Cid, some others I can't recall.

Say What?
03-26-2018, 08:56 AM
I don't think I've ever lost to a grey with a gold, for whatever that's worth. I've beaten some solid golds with grey: ZEUS, El Cid, some others I can't recall.

There were many bad golds to beat as grey. There was an entire clan who did nothing buy jump golds as grey on Banff.

-SW

rainblade
03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
There were many bad golds to beat as grey. There was an entire clan who did nothing buy jump golds as grey on Banff.

-SW

Really?!

:P

Spencer 555
03-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Ya, I was in it. Wish I saved some of my accomplishments grey v gold. It was mostly against 1100-1200 players, but I had 1 against a 1500 gold (probably booster) and a couple 1300-1400 golds.

Was called the goldjumpers lol.

Say What?
03-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Ya, I was in it. Wish I saved some of my accomplishments grey v gold. It was mostly against 1100-1200 players, but I had 1 against a 1500 gold (probably booster) and a couple 1300-1400 golds.

I was in it as well. ;) ;)

-SW

rainblade
03-27-2018, 05:53 PM

I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor. :D

Say What?
04-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Still don't see the edit putting me on here. :butcher:

lol

-SW

Shurtugal
04-08-2020, 06:27 PM
I guess I'll settle for 101.

manonfire101
04-08-2020, 08:32 PM
There's about a ten-thousand-way tie for 101st. You all were so close.

Burnout278
04-09-2020, 01:28 AM
As long as I am ranked 278th, I am good

Gryph
04-10-2020, 08:49 AM
There's about a ten-thousand-way tie for 101st. You all were so close.

I still demand justice. When / if this game goes live again I'ma smack the fuck outta all y'all.

Go go fight the power.

Burnout278
04-11-2020, 04:45 AM
I still demand justice. When / if this game goes live again I'ma smack the fuck outta all y'all.

Go go fight the power.

Rangers

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/b5ee7d9/2147483647/strip/true/crop/600x413+0+0/resize/600x413!/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F52%2F67%2Fbdc106ea04 455843422713cdf9a4%2Fseason1-mighty-morphin

Aristocatt
04-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Playing as an alt is stupid. Well actually it's pretty fun, but it's stupid for this debate.

It's just such an unfair advantage. I had this conversation with Cua awhile back but basically it boiled down to this; knowing your opponent allows you to try strategies that are more effective while he/she has to be more conservative (depending on player). I'm not going to do certain things against an unknown since it could be strategically catastrophic.

That's why I never considered you/Guide/whoever to be great. Oh you got your wins in, especially on me here and there. But considering the advantage you had, or should of had, it's really surprising you weren't more dominant. Especially considering all the time played perfecting sets and strategies.

Also, as far as comparing somebody like Vish to older players, it's probably not accurate. I've played Vish a couple of times and his skill is more from repetition than true creative skill. Just like older players sometimes inflate their memories, so do newer players arrogantly believe they are the best for perfecting strategies and styles that have evolved since.

Wait creativity is something we are measuring here???
Don't I get any points for Furgon Antis, Dragonless Berz rushes, and DSM Stone golem antis with 1 scout, Dragonless Berz/BR turtles, etc?

I was never really great at the game, but I'll be damned if I wasn't the most unorthodox.

Edit: I more or less made the exact same post years ago.

Hulky
04-15-2020, 05:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/b2qd01b.png
https://i.imgur.com/mONF6sg.png
never forget the greatest all time

Mar
04-15-2020, 09:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/b2qd01b.png
https://i.imgur.com/mONF6sg.png
never forget the greatest all time

That was on Banff, right? After it died and people starting going to GL?

Hulky
04-15-2020, 10:13 PM
That was on Banff, right? After it died and people starting going to GL?

Yeah the female mod (sayter?) wouldn't let me get 3000. I was literally every active account on banff. Instead banned at 2355. Still upsetting.

Dragonmaster123 also hit 2007 for new years 2007, and 2008 for new years 2008. When it was still active (I think those were the years).

Every time dragonmaster123's password was boost.

Madamos
04-15-2020, 10:32 PM
How high did the other accounts need to be to even gain 1 stat?

Hulky
04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
How high did the other accounts need to be to even gain 1 stat?
to get from 2354 to 2355 an 1800 would give you 1 stat, but a 1750 wouldn't. 1758 is the lowest to get the single stat. Beating a 2000 stat opponent gives you two points, but would only give you 1 to 2400.

Zoticus
09-11-2020, 12:52 PM
TLDR:

I played as Zoticus yr. 2005+ mostly, but before that [-BrAd-] Jan 2004, [-BrAnDoN-] yr. 2004, Lord_Saruman yr. 2004, yr. 2005 Lord_Sauron. Without knowing who Bottle was and just entering the game, I was the one who played as Bottle on Army. I had no idea it was even a big deal until I joined the TAO forums for some help from DivineRight and noticed Bottle making a commotion about someone "dropping a Bottle" on Army. Bottle was my first gold account too and it didn't make since at the time why so many high ranking golds wanted to play me. I'm sure I disappointed them.

I consumed too much alcohol and smoked too much pot to remember TAO olden days like some of you. My opinion, you cannot seriously name a GOAT because there were too many game style changes and eras. Example: Michael Jordan and LeBron James. There were/are lots of GOATs. But the list is amazing, truly amazing. I do not recognize/remember a lot of the names as I only played on Army/Rev and Legends. I read the entire thread and think everyone made valid points, not sure if anyone was right over the other. It's all just opinions.

I do not think I belong on the list, probably not even top 500. Millions of people played this game. I only played in a few tournys, never got past a two game winning streak in a tourny. I loved to play TAO but close games would stress me out and my heart would be pounding as if I was being chased by someone who wanted to kill me. I like to think that I was above average as I played the game 2004-2008ish. I could legit get my grey stats to 1250+ in a month and gold 1450+ before I started getting spanked by the greats. Rev stats without boosting was 1005. I think the highest I got was 1550 before I boosted. After boosting and getting caught I pretty much quit playing the game. I would try to come back after 2009 but every time I would be so lost and the game was beyond me with new added units and strategies. I did however clan whore around Army, which was not an accomplishment considering Army was thought of as a wasteland/newbie server. Some of the clans I was in (even if briefly and some just in Rev): SI, KotR, LotR, Pyro Pyrates, Judgment, TDP, *Jokers Wild*, TAO ANGELS, Omni and many more I don't remember. I don't think I was in any of them during their prime besides *JW*, TAO ANGELS and LotR. *JW* was my favorite because I was a kid and all the drama it brought. I don't think there were many clans that *JW* didn't steal from and I helped recruit them before *JW* launched on Army. Started many clans on Army including a Grey Jumpers that got pretty popular. I was in a lot of boosting rings that included many of the top Army Ranking list. It was unbelievable how many people boosted before the ranking system that showed your games. Had a friendship with Bullcat0 or maybe it was Bobcat? idk but it was on Army, I think it was before and during *JW* and I was in my prime then. I could hold my own. That is my TAO story and honorable mention.

TAO was a big part of my teenage years. Especially the forum, I wanted to fit in sooo bad. Great times, I learned a lot from TAO.

|AFO|
05-12-2021, 05:39 PM
It was likely bullcat on Army. Bobcat was from Legends and I don't think he was very active except on TianChao(?) on Rev. Also JW sucks. NJ4lyf

The Butcher
07-07-2022, 12:42 PM
so just FYI, i still appreciate all the work that went into this and check it every once and a while for fun

KickAssPlaya
07-08-2022, 08:49 PM

Go go fight the power.

https://tactics.taorankings.com/createGame.html -- here ya go :D

manonfire101
08-08-2022, 08:56 PM
so just FYI, i still appreciate all the work that went into this and check it every once and a while for fun

Thanks, TB. Or you're from Philly, right? What's the correct expression for expressing thanks? Go fuck yourself.