PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Park Baseball

Nightmarez
03-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Not to make this the OOTP thread, but to make this the OOTP thread...

I'm retiring my oldest and best OOTP profile today and buying the new game.

SO, this is my baseball universe after the 2056 season.

Here's a few player profiles of the Hall of Fame players that I retired as members of my Houston Astros:

Mike Trout -- (2011-2030, HOU 2017-2030)
Inducted HOF: 2036
3x Champion, 5x MVP, 15x All-Star, 11x Platinum Stick, 2x Gold Glove, 1x Rookie of the Year, 5x Playoff Series MVP,
Career WAR: 96.2
Career Earnings: 2017-2030: 369+ Million
Noted Career Stats: 573 HRs, 307 SBs, .929 OPS
Career Notes: Fucked up by letting him play for two straight years while not being competitive trying to get him up to 3000 Hits. Knocked his WAR down quite a bit. Won a title in 2019 on a team that included Manny Machado, who is also in the HoF. Won two more in 2029-2030 but wasn't a bit factor on those teams.
http://i63.tinypic.com/2lwwy81.png

Rodolfo Vega -- (2021-2035, HOU 2024-2035)
Inducted HOF: 2041
3x Champion, 11x All-Star, 11x Platinum Stick, 8x Gold Glove at SS, 4x Playoff MVP
Career WAR: 77.4
Career Earnings: 286+ Million (in US, not including money in Japan)
Noted Career Stats: 538 HRs, 508 SBs, Four Seasons of 40 HRs and 40 SBs
Career Notes: Had an incredible fall-off at Age 27 and was never the same player. Left at age 34 to pursue a career in Japan. In his Prime he may have been the greatest player in the history of baseball. Game breaking speed, incredible power, and one of the best gloves in all of baseball at SS. Literally a game breaking player. Was the core part of the Trout team that won titles in '29 and '30 and also won another title in '33.
http://i63.tinypic.com/fcppfq.png

Mike Sparks -- (2027-2045, HOU 2033-2045)
Inducted HOF: 2051
6x Champion, 2x MVP, 7x All-Star, 5x Platinum Stick, 1x Rookie of the Year, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2033 World Series MVP
Career WAR: 76.8
Career Earnings: 353+ Million
Noted Career Stats: .307 BA, 640 HRs
Career Notes: A Philly for a decent portion of his career before being acquired around age 27-28, Sparks was one of the core pieces that made the Houston Astros go from being one of the greatest Dynasties to probably THE greatest dynasty of all time. Was a part of the first Astros' Three-Peat from 2039-2041.
http://i65.tinypic.com/o8dvlj.png

Humberto Castellanos -- (2032-2048, HOU 2035-2048)
Inducted HOF: 2054
7x Champion, 2x MVP, 12x All-Star, 9x Platinum Stick, 7x Gold Glove at SS, 1x Gold Glove at 2B, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2036 World Series MVP
Career WAR: 93.6
Career Earnings: 246+ Million
Noted Career Stats: 625 HRs
Career Notes: The core member of the Astros between Rodolfo Vega and Ernesto Rodas. An incredible champion and an incredible defender with power.
http://i65.tinypic.com/vsjss7.png

Luis Resendez -- (2035-2052)
First Eligible for HOF: 2058-2059
9x Champion, 10x All-Star, 3x Platinum Stick, 3x Gold Glove, 1x Rookie of the Year, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2044 World Series MVP
Career WAR: 50.3
Career Earnings: 115+ Million
Noted Career Stats: 2x Batting Title Champion, 2744 Hits at Catcher, All-Time Astros Leader in BA (.311) and 2Bs (700), Career 7.0% K%, Sub-5.0% Thru Much of Prime
Career Notes: A Rule 5 Pick, Resendez is probably my favorite player I had in OOTP. Only player to never play on any other team. An Iron Man catcher who stayed relatively consistent thru his 30's and was the Astros starting catcher at age 40. Hit .367 his Rookie Year, winning the Batting Title. I expect him to be able to make the HOF, but it's too early to be sure.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2ia8jtj.png

Ernesto Rodas -- (2037-2056)
First Eligible for HOF: 2061?
9x Champion, 7x MVP, 15x All-Star, 13x Platinum Stick, 1x Gold Glove at 1B, 10x Playoff Series MVP, 2039 and 2051 World Series MVP
Career WAR: 131.5
Career Earnings: 341+ Million
Noted Career Stats: 926 HRs (Most), 3043 Hits, .985 OPS, 2350 RBIs (Most), 2158 Runs (7th), 6244 Total Bases (2nd). Career 1.066 Playoff OPS with 78 HRs over 912 PAs.
Career Notes: The greatest player and champion of all time. Rodas probably deserved about 8 or 9 MVPs. Would've been probably a great defensive 3B but a few soreness injuries and the level of his bat made us transition him to First Base pretty early, where he did later get one Gold Glove. It's sad because he actually also had an 80 Grade Infield Arm that we never really utilized as a team. But 926 fucking Homers.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2dlnnl3.png

HOF Inductees:
Rivera, Hoffman, Jeter, Clemens, Bonds, Helton, Ortiz, ARod, Mussina, Pujols, Halladay, Beltre, Cabrera, Beltran, Verlander, Scherzer, Suzuki, K-Rod, Cano, Votto, Kershaw, Machado, Berrios, Rizzo, Trout, Betances, Posey, Harper, Kimbrel, Lindor, Bellinger, Seager, Correra, Giles, Devers (this is where fake players start), Rodolfo Vega, Bryant, Tyler Jay, Andre Colon, Jerry Leonard, Kumar Rocker, Danny Blevins, Murdock Regimbald, Andres Santana Jr., Jorge Cerillo, Luis Abarca, Ramon Perez, Tim Giambalvo, Yunior Severino, Robbie Matthews, Ezequiel Coronoa, Juan Campos, Juan Canela, Bert Strain, Steve Levenque, Mike Sparks, Jared Carmichael, Jorge Peralta, Chris Hamrick, Humberto Castellanos, Eric Brower, Ismael Schipper

WS Champions (Starting in Fictitious 2017):
Orioles, Orioles, Astros, Orioles, Braves, Braves, Rockies, Braves, Twins, Braves, Jays, Cubs, Astros, Astros, Cubs, DBacks, Astros, Dbacks, Royals, Astros, Dodgers, Rangers, Astros, Astros, Astros, Pirates, Cardinals, Astros, Astros, Angels, Indians, Astros, Mariners, Astros, Astros, Astros, Orioles, Padres, Padres, Dodgers

Spencer 555
03-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Orioles? lol

Nightmarez
03-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Orioles? lol
It's a fantasy draft from scratch. In terms of them just starting hot, yeah idk they drafted well. Cody Bellinger was their main cornerstone and he hit about 710 HRs by the end of his career.

Spencer 555
03-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Ahh I thought it was just starting with the regular teams.

Hulky
03-27-2018, 05:10 PM
What is OOTP?

Spencer 555
03-27-2018, 05:16 PM
A simulation game that has updated mlb and milb (minors) rosters

Nightmarez
03-28-2018, 12:12 PM
What is OOTP?

Spencer said it, but specifically it's Out of the Park Baseball, which is essentially the "Be a GM" Version of any other sports game, Madden/The Show/etc., but far far far more in-depth, with the entire focus of the game being obviously that Management angle so that the in-game play is nothing too special. And you don't really control individual players.

A lot of the interface works a lot like MLB.com. You can look up stats, track live games if you play the game like that (there's a live time mode where you can either have a Simulated Baseball Day play in the background all day or speed it up up to x500). It has a great history recorder and Milestone checker.

In terms of an individual baseball game, you essentially get as much information and influence as an actual manager would have. You can make players do various things like take a pitch, swing away, you can tell people when to steal, and the controls are actually fairly complex. For instance, there's a "Steal Base" control and a "Force Steal" control, one of which is essentially telling a player "Hey, if you get a good jump, you can go." And one being obviously, "You run now."

You don't set your own budget obviously, that's done by the team Owner and is based on your ticket sales/revenues from the previous year and Season ticket sales. You do however set a number of your budget allocations. You set your "Development" Budget, your "Scouting Budget," you also are in charge of setting those Ticket Prices for home games throughout the season as well as setting the Season Ticket prices at the beginning of the next season, the latter of which is super important to your revenue obviously.

You also have near-full control of contracts with a decent amount of optimization including Opt-Outs and Team/Player/Vesting Options. You manage the staffs of your minor league affiliates and send your prospects up and down throughout your system. You can automate some of that control to your Ass. GM if you wish.

But all-in-all, it's basically the closest thing to simulating being a GM I've ever seen. And it does a really good job of it.

Obviously, like any game, it's not perfect. I just started an OOTP with the 2017 Reds (because I haven't gotten my new OOTP game to start working yet) and before the season started made so many trades that the Reds have Inciarte, Altuve, Freeman, Yelich, Stroman, Ray, and Quintana before the season has even started. (I've played so many hours I'm really good at working the trade system now). There's a few logical fallacies in the AI that you figure out if you play as much as I do and you either have to ignore them or dominate them. But overall it's perhaps my favorite video game in the world. They've tried to adapt a football version and I think you'd probably enjoy that, but you'd probably enjoy OOTP too. OOTP 19 is new but still under 40 bucks, so not that expensive overall. OOTP 18 should be fairly inexpensive and it's the only version of the game I've ever played and I love it. So if you don't wanna get the new version it may be worth it to start there.

Hulky
03-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I'm downloading the game on Origin to try it

edit: fuck, buy it and then it says only available on windows... I hate my windows computer

Nightmarez
03-28-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm downloading the game on Origin to try it

edit: fuck, buy it and then it says only available on windows... I hate my windows computer

What did you download it on? I'm also confused are you windows? Because I believe it's available on Linux Windows and Mac.

Hulky
03-28-2018, 01:37 PM
I bought it on Origin after seeing it was available on Origin and Mac on the site, then I bought it and it says only on Windows.

bought it again this time from their site and not origin, fuck it I missed buying baseball games the last two years so my bad but not end of the world lol

Hulky
03-28-2018, 03:25 PM
game is garbage for ability to know how to do things can't draft the guy I want just the guy my scout recommends and whatnot lost interest extremely fast might try again some other time, but right now I'd rather shoot myself than click 1 repeatedly to "play" the game and not be able to do moves I want

Nightmarez
03-29-2018, 04:01 AM
game is garbage for ability to know how to do things can't draft the guy I want just the guy my scout recommends and whatnot lost interest extremely fast might try again some other time, but right now I'd rather shoot myself than click 1 repeatedly to "play" the game and not be able to do moves I want

Did you get 18 or 19? And also what are you tryng to do that you can't do? Just curious. In terms of drafting, I've never had that problem. Just drag and drop to the box.

Hulky
03-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Drag and drop I clicked for minutes and would restart and try again and got frustrated lol

Nightmarez
03-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Drag and drop I clicked for minutes and would restart and try again and got frustrated lol

I did have trouble figuring out the drag and drop at first too so I thought that might have been the issue.

Sanosuke
03-30-2018, 08:40 PM
nightmarez do you just sim the games or do you micro manage them

Nightmarez
03-30-2018, 09:50 PM
nightmarez do you just sim the games or do you micro manage them

Both. Depends. I try to play out the start of the season, then rotate, and I kind of ween-off micro managing as the season gets deep. Especially if we're creating a distance between ourselves and #2.

EDIT: Also like to make sure to micro manage at least the last turn of the rotation before the post-season. Also if a starter is struggling taking his next outing. I'm more into the "General" Management than the Management angle, so soemtimes i even play in GM and just hire a manager. But most of the time I'll end up playing close to a quarter of a season.

Spencer 555
03-30-2018, 10:11 PM
Guys.. I'm going to waste wayyyy too much of my life on this game. I don't know if I should get it. I just watched a YouTube video on it. I want it.... lol

Nightmarez
03-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Guys.. I'm going to waste wayyyy too much of my life on this game. I don't know if I should get it. I just watched a YouTube video on it. I want it.... lol

Yeah i told you you'd love it. I odn't think you even need steam the version of OOTP 19 I use I just download straight to my laptop. Doesn't take that much space (comparative to video games) because thegraphics aren't too complex. Under 40 bucks.

Check this video (idk what you watched). This is the new features. Specifically go to 11:20 in the video. That's my favorite part of the game when I'm just playing around on it. Real-Time Sim with speed ups and watching every game of the league unfold. And being able to enter your team's game at any time. Epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuT5lnrMwI

Sanosuke
04-02-2018, 01:17 PM
did you get OOTP 19 working yet?

Nightmarez
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
did you get OOTP 19 working yet?

Not on steam, but I worked with teh support staff and they ended up just giving me a download code for a free direct download so I have the game on my laptop. My steam copy still doesn't work but I'm satisfied for sure. I'm taking a break though to work on real baseball writing.

Sanosuke
05-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Year 2019 with Braves. Made wild card but lost to nationals 10-8.

Lineup:

Ender Inciarte - 7 HR, 50 RBI, .288
Ozzie Albies - 21 HR, 80 RBI, 30 SB .327 (played all 162, 7.2 WAR)
Ronald Acuna - 28 HR, 111 RBI, 28 SB .262 (4.6 WAR, 2018 Gold Glove)
Freddie Freeman - 32 HR, 102 RBI, .288 (6.2 WAR, 2018 MVP with 40 HR, 131 RBI, 8.8 WAR)
Johan Camargo/Rio Ruiz - Solid league average production
Andrew McCutchen - 19 HR, 93 RBI .295 (2.9 WAR)
Dansby Swanson - 16 HR, 79 RBI, .279 (2.2 WAR)
James McCann - butt cheeks

Pitching

Yoo Ngan-Chen Rookie year, 22 YO, 4.2m per year through 2024(signed International FA Closer to cheaper deal, traded away Minter and Vizcaino for prospects.)
80 Game appearances, 5 W - 6 L, 2.40 ERA, .98 WHIP, 12.6 K/9, 48 Saves, 1.7 WAR

Sanosuke
05-01-2018, 03:04 PM
OOTP projected my roster to go 83-79. We went 91-71.

Sanosuke
05-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Yankees beat Rockies in WS 4-1*

Nightmarez
05-15-2018, 07:05 PM
So am I the only one who does full redrafts when it comes to OOTP? Ie starting teams from scratch.

Sanosuke
05-16-2018, 03:22 AM
I've thought about starting over and doing that now that I've figured most things out.

Nightmarez
05-16-2018, 01:00 PM
I've thought about starting over and doing that now that I've figured most things out.

I find the computer isn't the best at the initial draft, so you can set yourself up with a bit too much of an advantage, but it's the most fun for me to play as well. I rotate teams often beacuse obviously teams don't matter much other than owners. Coincidentally with who I'm talking to this time around I'm the Braves.

My first picks were C. Seager, Albies, Bregman, and Benintendi primarily. I won a WS in 2019. Had to piece a staff together (Jacob Faria, Jake Odorizzi, Ariel Miranda) and made a lot of trades for a bullpen because I didn't spend too many picks there. Played with great defense too, used A. Almora as my primary defensive CF but he splitt ime with Kevin Pillar who would come in late in games and between teh two of the them I had a truly elite defensive OF.

My arbitration dollars though are skyrocketing. I'm so poor it's hysterical (some of this has to do with my settings). I have to make magic happen for Seager to not walk after 2020.

Nightmarez
05-16-2018, 02:15 PM
I love how OOTP works stylistically for a realistic baseball way. I'll give one example:

Jacob Faria was the best pitcher on my staff this year and finished like 5th in the CY young despite only 170 Innings (sub-3.00 ERA), and I think a lot of it is that I aimed to have Pillar and Almora both in the OF a lot when he, an extreme FB pitcher, was pitching. I've curved my staff aroudn getting FB pitchers and with my other focus on OF defense it's worked out really really well.

Sanosuke
05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
I hate how unrealistic the batting stats end up being in OOTP. I remember Seager had like 45 HRs and 170RBIs or something one year

Gryph
05-16-2018, 04:01 PM
You're unrealistic, ever think of that?

Sanosuke
05-16-2018, 05:20 PM
:(

Nightmarez
05-20-2018, 10:52 AM
I hate how unrealistic the batting stats end up being in OOTP. I remember Seager had like 45 HRs and 170RBIs or something one year

Somewhat... Corey is a player they like a lot... but I mean right now in baseball we have 3 players pacing close to 12 WAR which has only been done once in history by Babe Ruth.

Sanosuke
05-20-2018, 11:08 AM
I'm gonna mess with the simulation settings and make things more realistic my next play through. Pitching gets absolutely battered (no pun intended) in the latest OOTP, and player development is painfully slow even after just doing a level by level process.