PDA

View Full Version : Let's do a Grand Slam 1 freestyle

Veilmenacex
04-05-2020, 12:27 AM
Or Grand slam 2 Turtle

Since everyone is at home due to Corona virus quarantine this is the best time to start a tournament prefer Gs1 and PSST at the same time

Taking in sign ups for the first tournament Grand Slam 1 Legends freestyle. Sign up here with your in game name and facebook name.
https://discord.gg/Td6sa9 (Our discord please join)
Veil
Philly
Kash
Flawless
Spencer555
WTFMONSTAH
3000 stat
Moose
Unfo
$even
Virdict
Excessive
Biorhythm
RandolphtheBrown
BrutalRage
Matt Roe
|AFO|
Wizzy
Poison Shadow
Madamos
NorwoodTheRonin
Habeas Corpus
CK Returns
meat.eater
*Colombian*
The One
BoneSplitter
Skorn
Weeman
x0tek
Lieutenant
burnout278

Winner's Brackets

Entrain
04-05-2020, 04:19 AM
good idea don't think BR has added double gold though.

Meaning it's going to be legend style :cool:

Achilles
04-05-2020, 07:49 AM
I could probably get Monkus to jump in but he'd kick all our asses, haha.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Posted on the FB group.

Madamos
04-05-2020, 12:14 PM
That'd be pretty cool!

Mar
04-05-2020, 01:22 PM
I would be interested in playing.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
What kind of tournament would you all be interested in?

Standard grey, turtle, legends grey, legends turtle. Should drops be allowed?

One thing that comes to mind that I always wanted to do with the old TAO was a best of 3 tournament. First game style is veto based, second game is chosen by the loser, if there is a third game it is chosen by the loser of the second game.

E.g.
Freestyle no drops, grey no drops, turtle no drops, legends grey, legends freestyle(drops).
Matt vs Wizzy
I veto legends grey and legends freestyle, Wizzy vetos turtle and freestyle.
Game 1 is grey no drops. Wizzy wins.
Game 2 I choose turtle. I win
Game 3 wizzy chooses legends grey. Wizzy wins.

This is probably way to involved for a small tournament to get people excited about the game again, but wanted to throw it out there.

Seems like a standard no drop freestyle, grey, or turtle game would be best, but I am generally open to w/e

Mar
04-05-2020, 01:52 PM
I would be open to that layout. We need to make sure everyone has a forum account so they can post here. We also need to make it time restricted because right now you have up until 1 week to make a move. So how long does each move last before you automatically win?

Furthermore, we also can't do regular turtle since there is only 1 scout.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 01:59 PM
I would be open to that layout. We need to make sure everyone has a forum account so they can post here. We also need to make it time restricted because right now you have up until 1 week to make a move. So how long does each move last before you automatically win?

Furthermore, we also can't do regular turtle since there is only 1 scout.

Good points.

We could set up a way to let people impose a time limit through chat and screenshots, or we could just let the tournament stretched out a bit more with a rule to make moves once a day. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect people are online together when they play, but if someone needs to get going they can set up another time to finish up the game, and give everyone a week total to finish the game.

For regular turtle/freestyle I was thinking about it in terms of drops and no drops.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Actually I really like setting a 1 week time limit with extension opportunities for people that show they are making the time. I think this could be a great way to utilize and test out how effective a tournament could be now that you can "pause" a game and come back to it.

Extensions might be provided if people actually set up times when both people can get online to play, and both people show up to play, but for whatever reason time constraints didn't let them finish by the end of the week.
In contrast if one person tried to set up times to play, and the other player were to just make a move randomly once a day or something, we could look at that and say "you didn't really make an attempt here".

There are definitely some "problems" with this format...like people in a tough spot spending 2 days tryharding so they can come up with the perfect move. But I think part of this tournament could be an opportunity to try out the different features provided by BRs game engine. It's also meant to be fun, so we can be a bit more relaxed about theorizing the perfect most fair tournament in the world.

Hulky
04-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Can we move this to one of the boards like the new game one or something if its linked to forums so people without forum accounts can view it? Like maybe not this thread, but a actual tournament thread?

Mar
04-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Good points.

We could set up a way to let people impose a time limit through chat and screenshots, or we could just let the tournament stretched out a bit more with a rule to make moves once a day. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect people are online together when they play, but if someone needs to get going they can set up another time to finish up the game, and give everyone a week total to finish the game.

For regular turtle/freestyle I was thinking about it in terms of drops and no drops.

Sounds good to me, one week for those who are moving forward with their games slowly. I like that idea.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 02:07 PM
Can we move this to one of the boards like the new game one or something if its linked to forums so people without forum accounts can view it? Like maybe not this thread, but a actual tournament thread?

Sure, can I move the whole thread? Don't know how to do that.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 02:09 PM
I do.
But you know.
I'm not to be trusted with mod powers.
Because of the incident..

I figured it out...Hulky is this a better place to have the thread?

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 02:13 PM
I think Kash is more talking about if you're in the middle of the game, the person can just disappear and you have no idea if they're coming back that day and then you have to set up more times and it becomes confusing.

Best of 3 was already imo gonna take a long time and people would lose interest eventually. Adding a 1 week extension to single games is crazy. Maybe if we're doing only 1 style and 1 game each round then that's fine to have a 1 week time limit (with possible extensions) to get your game finished

Or just a 1 week time limit to finish all 3 games if we're doing 3 different styles or best of 3.

quoted for relevance

Yeah, the best of 3 thing was just an idea, I'm not particularly wedded to it. Main concern is just to see people playing the game again.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 02:20 PM
New Game Development and Discussion or Nostalgia are the forums you can see without hulky needing to do special permissions for people to see the sub forums

Thanks

Mar
04-05-2020, 04:51 PM
To be honest, I think Facebook is easier to use for the tournament, but it's up to you. I get notification right to my phone on Facebook, which makes it easy to check.

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 04:53 PM
To be honest, I think Facebook is easier to use for the tournament, but it's up to you. I get notification right to my phone on Facebook, which makes it easy to check.

It might be easier for notifications, but it's seems like it will be harder for me to organize, I've got a life to live to ya know +P

Mar
04-05-2020, 05:00 PM
It might be easier for notifications, but it's seems like it will be harder for me to organize, I've got a life to live to ya know +P

Oh okay, that's good too, I'm open to doing it here since I already have an account, I'm just worried about those who are too busy to browse the forums. Anyway, I'm excited about this and I bet it's showing.

3000 stat
04-05-2020, 07:20 PM
I'm definitely interested.

DNA
04-05-2020, 09:43 PM
I’d be willing to play as well

Aristocatt
04-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Good points wiz. There are definitely some logistical issues to work out here. I'll work on making it easier to sign up on the forums tomorrow.

Wizzy2
04-05-2020, 10:04 PM
test

Madamos
04-05-2020, 10:51 PM
Never been so stoked to being kicked out first round of a tournament.

Habeas Corpus
04-05-2020, 10:54 PM
What he said. ^ lol

The Butcher
04-06-2020, 08:37 AM
i'm in

The One
04-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Count me in.

Biorhythm
04-06-2020, 11:08 AM
I feel like this would be a lot easier for people if you organised it in FB rather than through here...but I'm down for anything although i suck 🤣

Aristocatt
04-06-2020, 11:26 AM
I feel like this would be a lot easier for people if you organised it in FB rather than through here...but I'm down for anything although i suck ��

It seems like it will be a little bit easier for me to organize here. Navigating to the OP to update who wins and loses...Doing it through FB as more people post random stuff, the tournament would get kicked further and further down the list. Additionally I'm sure there are quite a few people that don't care about the tournament at all, but do care about BRs updates to the game. It might be frustrating for them to constantly get notifications of people saying "Biorhythm vs Matt Roe -- Winner Matt roe easy win git gud scrub gg no re" +P

x0tek
04-06-2020, 02:41 PM
It seems like it will be a little bit easier for me to organize here. Navigating to the OP to update who wins and loses...Doing it through FB as more people post random stuff, the tournament would get kicked further and further down the list. Additionally I'm sure there are quite a few people that don't care about the tournament at all, but do care about BRs updates to the game. It might be frustrating for them to constantly get notifications of people saying "Biorhythm vs Matt Roe -- Winner Matt roe easy win git gud scrub gg no re" +P

Hi!

Challonge (and Smash.gg) have systems for self-reporting. Since the game had its last tournament, the supporting ecosystem for online events has expanded exponentially :)

That said, I think that having a central hub on the forums makes sense to help with signups, disputes, etc.

RandalfTheBrown
04-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Im in

Madamos
04-06-2020, 03:57 PM
Anyways, if the game actually relaunches and new members come to play, the forum will become once again very active.

Mar
04-06-2020, 04:03 PM
I feel like this would be a lot easier for people if you organised it in FB rather than through here...but I'm down for anything although i suck 🤣

I'm also going to post it on Facebook for those people who are having trouble with the forums. We'll still be active there.

evan
04-06-2020, 04:22 PM
Fuck yes

Also, hi

Greendaybum5
04-06-2020, 05:16 PM
in

Skorn
04-06-2020, 05:35 PM
I’m in

Veilmenacex
04-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Can we start this like ASAP. Because once Coronavirus quarantine is up, people are going to go on about their normal day to day lives instead of being cooped up at home

Hulky
04-06-2020, 06:15 PM
I am willing to join if you need an extra person to make a prettier bracket.

Madamos
04-06-2020, 06:41 PM
So what's going right now ? Who is actually in charge of making this?

Burnout278
04-06-2020, 07:51 PM
I am willing to join if you need an extra person to make a prettier bracket.

I am in only if Hulky plays.

Burnout278
04-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Well, Hulky.. now you have no choice. You play or you die. [insert cersei lannister]

https://mfi-miami.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Cersei-Lannister.jpg

Mar
04-06-2020, 09:25 PM
I want to wait to hear back from Matt Roe.

Madamos
04-06-2020, 09:30 PM
I want to wait to hear back from Matt Roe.
This.

I'm quite surprised by the rushing of this...

bonesplitter1
04-07-2020, 12:50 AM
yo, sign me up as bonesplitter1 (im not biorhythm)

Aristocatt
04-07-2020, 10:03 AM
No one is going to be out of quarantine any time soon...I'll make a tournament thread when I get lunch today. Give people a few days to sign up properly and then we can kick this thing off.
This is just supposed to be a fun tournament to get excited about the game again...we haven't all come together to play in like 4 years, just kick back relax and don't take it too seriously.

x0tek
04-07-2020, 10:07 AM
I think, Veilmancex, rushing things is not necessary. This will take quite some time to finish regardless, and it's often better to run a high quality event with many interested people than to host something "just because"

Madamos
04-07-2020, 10:33 AM
I think, Veilmancex, rushing things is not necessary. This will take quite some time to finish regardless, and it's often better to run a high quality event with many interested people than to host something "just because"

Is this Moose ?

Mar
04-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Is this Moose ?

It's Guide, you guys should watch this video: https://youtu.be/KNTTSa5_MPY?t=148.

It's about his life, the games he has played competitively, and who he is. It's very good.

manonfire101
04-08-2020, 03:56 AM
I'm in.

Prof will play as well.

Entrain
04-08-2020, 04:52 AM
It's Guide, you guys should watch this video: https://youtu.be/KNTTSa5_MPY?t=148.

It's about his life, the games he has played competitively, and who he is. It's very good.

Holy molly

Sanosuke
04-08-2020, 04:38 PM
in. manon made me

|AFO|
04-08-2020, 07:38 PM
I'm in.

Prof will play as well.

Wassap ya jackass!

manonfire101
04-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Wassap ya jackass!

Not much man. Just working remotely, quarantining, and dealing with a gout flare-up. How ya been?

|AFO|
04-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Not much man. Just working remotely, quarantining, and dealing with a gout flare-up. How ya been?

Ya know... trying to decide between wanting to pay bills and risking my life to help people with their 20 year history of back pain. Could be worse. Sorry about the gout.

manonfire101
04-08-2020, 10:35 PM
Ya know... trying to decide between wanting to pay bills and risking my life to help people with their 20 year history of back pain. Could be worse. Sorry about the gout.

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. It seems like a lot of people are having to make tough choices right now. I really hope things work out for you.

And thanks. I know how to manage gout very well at this point, so it's fine. I don't drink much and I'm healthy and in pretty good shape so I blame my dad.

Shurtugal
04-08-2020, 11:25 PM
Sign me up

Aristocatt
04-09-2020, 01:05 PM
I'll be posting this on Discord, Facebook, and the TAO Forums.

After much discussion and deliberation, in the spirit of this being a modern game, we are going to modernize the way the tournament is hosted.
This tournament has been set up on smash.gg.
I believe this will help streamline the process, and will be a great opportunity to try out a new platform for tournaments that might be able to be integrated directly into the game in the future.
To register for the tournament please visit: https://smash.gg/tournament/epic-tao-freestyle-tournament-1/details
It only takes a few minutes to register, and the rules for the tournament can be found on the site.

If your TAO Forum name, Discord name, or Facebook name are different than your IGN on Smash.gg, reach out to me(or post in this thread) and let us know who you are and what your smash.gg name is.

Feel free to reach out on any of the platforms if you have any questions, and I will continue to elucidate the tournament structure on the smash.gg page. It's been a long time since we have had a tournament, and we are trying some new things out, so please don't hesitate to reach out publicly or privately with any questions you have, or issues you run into signing up.

Additionally, there is a link to the TAO discord on the smash.gg forums. I would strongly encourage you to create a discord account and use the same name as the name you register under in smash.gg. This will help you find your opponents and schedule games. When brackets are released, reach out if you have any issues finding your opponent, and I will help you guys get connected.

I am sure there will be a few bumps organizing things along the way, but I hope that this tournament will be a fun way to get us all excited about TAO again. And you guys will be helping BR a whole lot to beta test his game and make sure it is as awesome as it possibly can be.

Finally, WTFMonstah has offered a $50 prize to the winner of the tournament. Huge thanks to WTFMonstah for being so generous, and hopefully this motivates everyone to get their games in!

Hulky
05-18-2020, 01:08 AM
who won and whatnot

Aristocatt
05-21-2020, 11:44 AM
who won and whatnot

Not over yet.

It's Bone and I in the finals on winners side.
And BR, Legend Z, PS, Kash, and TO, duking it out in losers to make it to Grand Finals.

KickAssPlaya
05-23-2020, 12:24 AM
Lies.. KAP wins!! :cool:

Hulky
05-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Not over yet.

It's Bone and I in the finals on winners side.
And BR, Legend Z, PS, Kash, and TO, duking it out in losers to make it to Grand Finals.

that's wild I didn't know you were so good at the game

KickAssPlaya
05-23-2020, 11:05 PM
that's wild I didn't know you were so good at the game

It was beginner's luck :wizard:

;)