PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Beta Tournament 1

Aristocatt
04-08-2020, 09:03 AM
Alright boys and girls, you all know the drill. It's been almost 4 years since TAO shut down, and I say it's high time that we play some Tactics Arena Online as it was meant to be played. That means trash talking, complaining about luck, arguments about who cheated, and endless complaining about how GSL was a better format. And I guess a few games here and there too.

I'll be posting this on Discord, Facebook, and the TAO Forums.

After much discussion and deliberation, in the spirit of this being a modern game, we are going to modernize the way the tournament is hosted.
This tournament has been set up on smash.gg.
I believe this will help streamline the process, and will be a great opportunity to try out a new platform for tournaments that might be able to be integrated directly into the game in the future.
To register for the tournament please visit: https://smash.gg/tournament/epic-tao-freestyle-tournament-1/
It only takes a few minutes to register, and the rules for the tournament can be found on the site.

If your TAO Forum name, Discord name, or Facebook name are different than your IGN on Smash.gg, reach out to me(or post in this thread) and let us know who you are and what your smash.gg name is.

Feel free to reach out on any of the platforms if you have any questions, and I will continue to elucidate the tournament structure on the smash.gg page. It's been a long time since we have had a tournament, and we are trying some new things out, so please don't hesitate to reach out publicly or privately with any questions you have, or issues you run into signing up.

Additionally, there is a link to the TAO discord on the smash.gg forums. I would strongly encourage you to create a discord account and use the same name as the name you register under in smash.gg. This will help you find your opponents and schedule games. When brackets are released, reach out if you have any issues finding your opponent, and I will help you guys get connected.

I am sure there will be a few bumps organizing things along the way, but I hope that this tournament will be a fun way to get us all excited about TAO again. And you guys will be helping BR a whole lot to beta test his game and make sure it is as awesome as it possibly can be.

Finally, WTFMonstah has offered a $50 prize to the winner of the tournament. Huge thanks to WTFMonstah for being so generous, and hopefully this motivates everyone to get their games in!

Entrain
04-08-2020, 10:03 AM
But dropless / legends gray are better styles than single gold though

Madamos
04-08-2020, 10:57 AM
because we're discussing it over 3 different platforms.

This.

Also, literally every single gray game i've "played" were against DSM rushs lol.

Aristocatt
04-08-2020, 11:20 AM
Based on the responses in fb seemed like freestyle was the most requested.
In the process of setting stuff up on smash.gg. It was a little more involved then just “make tournament”

manonfire101
04-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Alright boys and girls, you all know the drill. It's been almost 4 years since TAO shut down, and I say it's high time that we play some Tactics Arena Online as it was meant to be played. That means trash talking, complaining about luck, arguments about who cheated, and endless complaining about how GSL was a better format. And I guess a few games here and there too.

Hmm...

I'm seeded too high
Netjak is overrated
Legends > FPS
SI are a bunch of grey noobs
Pikachu is the favorite to win because he is probably about five different players in this tournament
Mith was the best tournament host
I'm seeded too low
FPS > Legends
I got disconnected. Let's restart from the beginning. No I don't think we should restart from the point we were at in the game.
lol you needed a cleric side block to win, noob

Aristocatt
04-08-2020, 11:33 AM
This is the kinda content I need to see more of!

Entrain
04-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Is this tournament TAL approved?

That is the true question indeed. Let's make it TAL approved so when BR will release the game some will already have TAL points

The Butcher
04-08-2020, 01:48 PM
all i do is turtle so get ready to get fucking destroyed scrubs looooooooooooooole

evan
04-08-2020, 03:38 PM
My body is ready.

Entrain
04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Come on people vote for dropless gray you know it's the best style – well second best, the first being legends gray ofc but I'm trying to find a common ground with FPS'ers.

Aristocatt
04-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Updated the OP with instructions for registering.

Veilmenacex
04-09-2020, 03:51 PM
https://smash.gg/tournament/epic-tao-freestyle-tournament-1

Mar
04-11-2020, 06:19 PM
34 sign-ups on smash.gg.

If anyone signed up here that hasn't signed up there, please do so. You can only be in the tournament if you sign up on smash.gg.

Hulky
04-11-2020, 07:28 PM
I'm not signing up on some website, cya when it's organized on the forums or facebook.

Mar
04-11-2020, 07:45 PM
I'm not signing up on some website, cya when it's organized on the forums or facebook.

That sucks, we want you Hulky! It's pretty quick to sign up and puts less pressure on the organizers since it's a lot easier to do everything on that website.

Madamos
04-12-2020, 12:19 AM
Smash seems like a nice site to have members self-manage the tournament from A-Z . Will still need the tournament section to keep track of season points (TAL) and all... Will see how this tournament runs, then i'll guess will have alot of feedback after it.

Mar
04-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Is anyone going to stream their games?

evan
04-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Is anyone going to stream their games?

Good idea!!

Is this starting today???

Entrain
04-17-2020, 12:40 PM
For some reasons discord ain't working. Not sure where we're supposed to confirm our game.

Entrain vs. Madamos
Winner : Entrain

https://tactics-beta.taorankings.com/game.html?c907f5f1-3f87-4fb9-aa64-047dcace13b3

EDIT : oh on smash ofc, silly me

Madamos
04-17-2020, 04:44 PM
All good anyways. I posted it on discord.