Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Concepts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Game Concepts

Say exactly what you want in the new game, and comment on what other people say so we can get a broad opinion of what people want (if your idea is super large and developed feel free to make your own thread).

For example I'll start with my concept off the bat:

Map
    First things first, the game board resembles the TAO board quite a bit, but there is an extra no mans land row.
    This board is raised from the ground, and not two dimensional like TAO was, I always thought it was kinda weird how that shape is just floating when in Tactics Genesis for example he had a wall for depth. I feel like a continuation into a scene is a nice touch (and not exceptionally difficult since the board is made between a 3D editor and and image editor and ends up being a simple .PNG file). I've described sort of the background scene directly into the image that I imagine.

Upper Half
    Logo - TAO lacked a logo in the game, I think if people see other people playing, or see s/s or whatever a logo being fit in is pretty easy free advertising. Also while researching building games like TAO, I saw quite a few commenters mention they used to play TAO, loved it, but couldn't remember the name. A logo might help that a bit.

Calculator - They were around soon after the game launch, and integrated into like clansite tao panels with LOS previewers and later TAORankings, but it would be a nicety in the game itself.

Unit Preview - Hover over, tells you the up to date relevant game information similar to TAO.

Turn Tools - Moved to the left where I now had more room. These are narrow and easier to fit on the side. A Timer as a triangular shape now fits and it's near where your eyes would be on chat for you to quick glance.

Lobby - This might be wider than the image shows, and maybe who is in the game is integrated. Regardless chat was a huge feature of TAO and should be present and potentially expanded. Making the game as community driven as possible is important.

Menu - Toggle menu with things like a grid top-down view of the game that if you click on the grid it selects also on the normal map. This is potentially important if unit crowding towards the back corner makes it hard to select your target. Toggle chat channels, like PMing, clan chat, or view/interact with different "servers" lobbies. The concept of a server changes here as each can chat to one another this prevents communities ending up being isolated like BG on GL, or TDP on Army for example.

Options include
    - Surrender / return to lobby
    - View leaderboard
    - FAQ
    - A confirmation button enable/disable option.
    - A mute / unmute feature.
    - Vote against spectators (1 vote disables)
    - Report opponent (trolling, bug exploiter, etc. No action taken, but like creates a log of complaints for admins to view server side?)

_______
    Game wise, I kinda think we should drop from 10 units to 8. Then add some other class of unit that does not apply to the end game objective of kill them all (like wards didn't count). For example let's say 8 traditional units plus a value of 4 non-traditional units. Something like add Shrub empty 1hp units that count for 1 non-trad unit each, or one 4block building that has more HP that counts as 4 non-trad units and could "house" units within it like a barrier ward, or one special tile that can only be in the back row that it and the two slots next to it (three units total) get a start of game armor boost that costs 3 non-trad units (so you can throw this plus a shrub for example), or a special tile that increases the power of the unit by X% at the start of game. Things like that. Going to 8 then adding a non-traditional class kinda customizes boards without the work of making actual separate boards.

I like the general UI. It will work well for PCs.

One thing I think we can do is have different backgrounds and different board textures in the future. For now I think a forest background works nicely. For a forest background I would texture it so that the arena itself looks kind of like some kind of ancient stone arena, which has been overgrown vines and stuff. I would detail the edges a little more so it looks like the stone has been a bit weathered as well. Also maybe a statue or two in the background that have parts missing due to age, also overgrown with vines. Basically if I were to mix fantasy TBS with a forest theme, I think of an ancient arena.

For something like a desert arena, you might want pillars along the back two edges of the tiles, and maybe a vibrant white stone, and an oasis off in the distance.

If you reduce number of units allowed on the board, you either have to increase the volatility of the game (lower cumulative character hit points and/or higher cumulative character attack points) or reduce the size of the game board, thereby making individual characters more capable of independently dispatching other units. Otherwise we will have many stalemates, and, even worse, campers.

Quote Originally Posted by rainblade View Post
    If you reduce number of units allowed on the board, you either have to increase the volatility of the game (lower cumulative character hit points and/or higher cumulative character attack points) or reduce the size of the game board, thereby making individual characters more capable of independently dispatching other units. Otherwise we will have many stalemates, and, even worse, campers.
    That's where Birdtor comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by rainblade View Post
    Or increase movement range/attack range

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    Or increase movement range/attack range
    This would work, too, though I think it would be a more delicate balance. The effectiveness of balancing ranges changes a great deal if we're to include a unit like the Furgon. I think it's a good idea to play around with it, though, naturally.

that's a lot of information on one screen

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    that's a lot of information on one screen
    You should see how crowded iOS/Android tap game screens are. It's good to have a lot of access on one screen, especially when you're playing a TBS game on that screen.

How many TBS games have you seen with a chat? on iPhone or Droid? (and links to them please)

Quote Originally Posted by DivineLeft View Post
    How many TBS games have you seen with a chat? on iPhone or Droid? (and links to them please)
    A chat? Not something I referred to specifically. In fact, I was going to suggest that we be able to turn the chat off if it's not too much trouble.

Who plays TBS games on iPhone or Android? lol. Usually it's just those stupid timer games.

Thread Information