Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Tactics Reborn - Development Progress Thread

  1. #1

    Default Tactics Reborn - Development Progress Thread

    Hi everyone,

    I'm going to keep this thread updated with the latest development progress on Tactics Reborn (Actual Name TBD).

    0.0.5a - Game board and unit formation spawning:



    Older Development Videos:

    Tactics Reborn 0.0.4a - Match making system
    Tactics Reborn 0.0.2a - Hex Tile Controller working

    Most of the changes between 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 were server-side so not much to show just yet Stay tuned though.
    Last edited by Gabe; 06-23-2016 at 07:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In an Infinite Loop, California
    Posts
    10,841

    Default

    Excited to see what direction you're going in. Are you working with Matt Roe and Hulky? What does your vision of the game look like?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Excited to see what direction you're going in. Are you working with Matt Roe and Hulky? What does your vision of the game look like?
    Yup, we are going to try to merge our projects together and ultimately develop a multi-platform game that we can hopefully get on steam.

    As for my vision, I'm fairly open minded. I know there's alot of veterans who have different degrees of flexibility when it comes to changing things from classic TAO.

    Hex vs Square
    New Units vs Old Units
    Crafting Units vs Getting Units Randomly
    How Gold/Grey accounts should work

    At this point, there's a lot still to hammer down. However, here are some ideas I've had. None are written in stone obviously

    • Hex Grid (Makes Movement/LOS more realistic)
    • Craftable/Upgradable Units
    • "Tiers" of units
    • Tier 1 units have unit level 1
    • Tier 2 Units have unit level 2
    • Tier 3 units have unit level 4
    • Different Classical Arenas limited by total unit level on field (12 (Tier 1 Competitive Arena), 12 to 18, 19 to 24, 24 (Tier 2 Competitive Arena), 25 to 32, 33 to 40, 41 to 48, 48 (Tier 3 Competitive Arena)
    • Player/Community sponsored tournaments based on three metas (Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3). Would be awesome to see this become a niche e-sport.
    • Match Making system based on total formation unit level as well as individual rating.
    • 2v2s, 3v3s, Team Objective-based Missions (Escort the diplomat, Capture the flag, King of the hill)

  4. #4

    Default

    The Hex grid was something that Hulky Mel and I talked about doing too. I like the idea a lot.
    I am somewhat opposed to upgradable units. Craftable units, however was also something that we all talked about.
    Rule of 3 is good for keeping people interested and competitive.
    Match Making is a must.
    2v2s is an interesting idea.

    Another idea that we had talked about was overhauling the clan system. Clans are a great way to create a community, and one idea that we were talking about was an open world with a top down view that had various outposts, castles, and fortresses that clans would battle over in a form of "territory take-over". You are not running around in the world as much as you would be attacking adjacent settlements to try and take over territory for your team. As your territory grew, you would need more members to successfully occupy and retain more territory.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    The Hex grid was something that Hulky Mel and I talked about doing too. I like the idea a lot.
    I am somewhat opposed to upgradable units. Craftable units, however was also something that we all talked about.
    Rule of 3 is good for keeping people interested and competitive.
    Match Making is a must.
    2v2s is an interesting idea.
    Yeahhhh maybe not upgradeable, but the overall idea was that tier 2 costs more to make than tier 3. So even if each tier is holistically different in terms of stats/abilities, tier 3 will still cost more.

    Example:
    Say a Tier 1 tanky unit might be called a Knight and it needs 1 X and 10 Y to craft; A tier 2 tanky unit might be a Templar or some other unit that costs 3 X and 30 Y to craft.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    Another idea that we had talked about was overhauling the clan system. Clans are a great way to create a community, and one idea that we were talking about was an open world with a top down view that had various outposts, castles, and fortresses that clans would battle over in a form of "territory take-over". You are not running around in the world as much as you would be attacking adjacent settlements to try and take over territory for your team. As your territory grew, you would need more members to successfully occupy and retain more territory.
    An indepth clan system would be great! Not entirely sure how trying to tie in an open world would work exactly. There's also a lot of complexities to consider in an online open world game >< Maybe each clan could have some kind of "War" room with a world map on it with little cities displayed and what clans currently held them.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Yeahhhh maybe not upgradeable, but the overall idea was that tier 2 costs more to make than tier 3. So even if each tier is holistically different in terms of stats/abilities, tier 3 will still cost more.

    Example:
    Say a Tier 1 tanky unit might be called a Knight and it needs 1 X and 10 Y to craft; A tier 2 tanky unit might be a Templar or some other unit that costs 3 X and 30 Y to craft.



    An indepth clan system would be great! Not entirely sure how trying to tie in an open world would work exactly. There's also a lot of complexities to consider in an online open world game >< Maybe each clan could have some kind of "War" room with a world map on it with little cities displayed and what clans currently held them.
    It wouldn't be an open world you run around in. It would be more like Total War where you have cities that you attack. Basically it would be a GUI for clan wars. Your "War Room" concept is on the right track.

    Edit: Total war was not the best description. basically you click a city attack it, then enter a game with a member of that clan(not that simple, but that is the basic concept). You wouldn't be doing the battles like Total war at all. I just realized how bad that example was, mainly because I would just auto resolve the battles, and forgot that autoresolving battles is not the norm. +/

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    It wouldn't be an open world you run around in. It would be more like Total War where you have cities that you attack. Basically it would be a GUI for clan wars. Your "War Room" concept is on the right track.

    Edit: Total war was not the best description. basically you click a city attack it, then enter a game with a member of that clan(not that simple, but that is the basic concept). You wouldn't be doing the battles like Total war at all. I just realized how bad that example was, mainly because I would just auto resolve the battles, and forgot that autoresolving battles is not the norm. +/
    Ahhh okay, I completely misread your post leaving out the NOT before " running around in the world."

  8. #8
    Poop Slinger DivineLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Near Chicago
    Posts
    280

    Default

    I would like to see hex, but that does change a lot of dynamics with 6 possible attack points. Just means some more animations, more pre-planned math and blocking and flanking possibilities too.

    I liked what I saw in your explorable demo. Maybe we can add it if Hulky and I keep doing 3d models as the base its something that could be a possibility for expansion. Matt's idea for a map is a nice concept too. We just need to start really mapping out and story boarding all of our true intentions and seeing what is too large for the project and what is realistic. How big of a thing are me making here?

    If we did tier upgrades there would have to be bonuses and negatives to them too. Range increase means armor decrease or visa versa. Grabbed a few models to show what we could do for the tier for say a Guard/Warrior and Knight.. again the concern would be each model having 6 viewpoints for each movement, defense, attack, and sounds and all that comes with it. I'm for the idea however, just laying out the pieces required.








  9. #9

    Default

    I'd rather square tiles and no upgrade on the units. The board has like 120 tiles if you multiply that by 4 you have 480, by 6 720. That's a huge leap in pre-planning how things face and how to go about attacking them. The learning curve would dramatically go up, I'm not sure but I also think aggressive strategies would benefit due to more angles to attack. Keeping it square it's a lot easier for use to guesstimate balance since we have roughly a decade of experience in it each.

    I think open world is cool as hell though. Something like Pokemon where your character walks around and can challenge others walking around to duel, cue music, enter match is a good basis. Pokemon and TAO were both pretty addictive and lasted longer than most anyone would have expected.

    If in the world there are different things to explore it becomes fun for even the lobby whores who don't play often. Go run from one end of the world to the next, shoot fucking arrows at a tree or just go explore. Have cities/towns like Pokemon did, you don't need too much stuff in the world to make it naturally fun to explore. Then battles engaged in certain areas have similar background landscape to the region it was engaged in. Core game is TAO-like. World is broken down into open world levels.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    I'd rather square tiles and no upgrade on the units. The board has like 120 tiles if you multiply that by 4 you have 480, by 6 720. That's a huge leap in pre-planning how things face and how to go about attacking them. The learning curve would dramatically go up, I'm not sure but I also think aggressive strategies would benefit due to more angles to attack. Keeping it square it's a lot easier for use to guesstimate balance since we have roughly a decade of experience in it each.
    100% agree with this. Not a fan of upgrading units or hex. Both will dramatically change the game IMO. Part of TAOs appeal was its simplicity. Units were what they were and you didn't need to spend time/money upgrading them. Also I think hex would dramatically change strategy and would take a lot longer to figure out how to balance.

    I think open world is cool as hell though. Something like Pokemon where your character walks around and can challenge others walking around to duel, cue music, enter match is a good basis. Pokemon and TAO were both pretty addictive and lasted longer than most anyone would have expected.

    If in the world there are different things to explore it becomes fun for even the lobby whores who don't play often. Go run from one end of the world to the next, shoot fucking arrows at a tree or just go explore. Have cities/towns like Pokemon did, you don't need too much stuff in the world to make it naturally fun to explore. Then battles engaged in certain areas have similar background landscape to the region it was engaged in. Core game is TAO-like. World is broken down into open world levels.
    This sounds really cool. If you can make it happen. Damn...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. INTEREST FORM: Arena Reborn: Game Development Team
    By feelthemagic in forum New Game Development and Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 12:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •