Page 17 of 147 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: For NBA fans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    So I don't follow the NBA as closely as some of you...so I have a few questions.

1. Two years ago warriors were just ok. Not awful but lost in the playoffs kinda team. Then last year they win and this year best of all time? WTF? What happened? I know curry got better but...wtf?

2. How are the other non Curry players good? Legit could not name one player on that team (other than curry) two years ago.

3. Is Steve kerr a god a coaching or something?

4. How in the fuck did Thunder choke that series away?

5. Why do the cavs always look like shit in the finals regardless of who they face? I know the east sucks balls but...come on man.

6. When will the Warriors fail? Like who can win the title now?

7. How did the Thunder fuck up the Spurs?

8. Why is the all star game still a thing? it is trash.

9. When is the draft again?

10. King James leaves Cavs now right? Same with Durant?
    Here's my take for what it's worth:

1. Here's the warriors starting lineup 2 years ago:

PG: Steph Curry
    SG: Klay Thompson
    SF: Harrison Barnes/Andre Iguodala
    PF: David Lee
    C: Andrew Bogut

Their head coach at the time (Mark Jackson) was incapable of unlocking the full potential of the team because he played David Lee so much and ran too many plays for him (David lee is a fantastic offensive PF). The problem with that is David Lee is a terrible defender, is slow as hell and not a great passer so when you passed him the ball, the play pretty much ended and he would shoot. The warriors fired Mark Jackson because he's old school (not because he's a bad coach) and refused to change his way of looking at things. Step in Steve Kerr (an open minded dude with huge basketball IQ). Iggy and David Lee get moved to the bench (Iggy because he's old and can run the offense while Steph is on the bench) and Steph Curry improves his game to the point that we're calling him the best shooter to ever play the game. Draymond Green at power forward is the key that unlocked the full potential of that team because he's a fucking god defensively and his court vision on both defense and offense is amazing. He may not be a ballerina in the post like David Lee was and probably still is, but he's athletic, he can pass the ball like a point guard, he can shoot threes and he can defend the post and play center. On top of all that, Bogut/Ezeli is probably one of the best 1-2 Center combo's in the league, there bench would probably be very close to a playoff team in the west alone and the style of basketball they play has revolutionized the game (spurs started it) because traditional big players like David Lee are becoming completely obsolete in our game. It's pretty incredible and kind of sad to see. In 10 years you probably won't see ANY big slow dudes playing centre. There's still a place for big dudes, but they'll need to be agile and fast and athletic freaks Like Hassan Whiteside. Only chance big slow players have in this league nowadays is if they can pass the ball like Andrew Bogut/Marc Gasol/Pau Gasol.

2. Coaching more or less. That team has a lot of talent playing unselfish basketball. Iguodala playing on the bench is insane because he's probably still (he's older) one of the best small forwards in basketball. Put him on almost any other team (including the raptors) and he's either be the best player or second best player. And he's the warriors 6th man... The you have Festus Ezeli, he's basically a garbage big dude who flails around and blocks shots. He's not that good of a basketball player in general, but a big dude like him who can block shots, get rebounds, catch alley-oops and keep up with the team in transition is all you need from a big man nowadays, he's fast for a dude his size. Then you have Shaun Livingston who is a pretty slow, old school point guard who used to be pretty good. He's playing out of his mind right now in the playoffs, but it's because people aren't respecting his offensive game. He's super tall for his position (I think he's 6'6 point guard) has always had a great mid range game and he can give some point guards problems on defense (lookin at u kyrie) and finally leandro barbosa is a heat check player. He's not really a good basketball player at all, but when he's hot he's one of the best snipers in the game. TLDR version: Iggy and Festus would easily be starting for almost any other team in the league and livingston/barbosa have started for teams in this league and are proving to be solid vets comin off the bench. And I forgot Maresse Speights could probably start for a lot of teams as well and he gets like 5 minutes a game with this team.

3. I don't think Kerr was a god coach when he started coaching this team, but he is now. Kerr has always been a basketball genius and he played on the best team of all time with MJ and shot one of the most clutch shots of all time. I believe Kerr still holds the NBA record for 3 point % and he got this by only shooting open 3s (takes a smart player to only shoot open threes). He's also open minded, loveable, funny and his players absolutely love him. I don't think we're talking about a coach as good as Greg Popavich here right now, but I do think he has the potential to be that good with more experience. That being said Popavich introduced the style of basketball being played by the warriors to the league and is a fucking godking in terms of coaching in my books.

4. The Thunder are a flawed team and the warriors are legit as good as the hype surrounding them. The only reason the thunder could push the warriors is because Durant and Westbrook are incredible. They're literally the only two players in the league IMO who can give the warriors/spurs problems because 1. Westbrook is a running back playing the PG position. He's a wrecking ball on offense and an energizer bunny on defence. The dude NEVER stops running and noone in the league has any chance to keep up with that dude. Noone. That being said, he gets selfish at times and doesn't have a very good shot. He'll go on runs where he shoots stupid shots and misses them because he's not steph curry or MJ. He honestly has more potential to affect a game then steph curry, but I don't think it's very possible for westbrook to elevate his game much more then he already has. Westbrook reminds me of a rich mans Rajon Rondo from those great Celtics teams. He's a guy who requires players around him to play good basketball and make the shots HE creates for them. He REQUIRES the ball at all times because he's 100% a playmaker. Unless people are making shots for Westbrook, the team isn't going to be doing well. 2. Durant is a fucking offensive god. Any time the ball isn't in Durant's hands to score is a problem (see why I say the thunder are flawed now?). That being said, the ball is mostly in Westbrooks hands and Durant honestly wasn't as good as westbrook was this year so that may have been a good thing. At this point we might be saying Westbrook is the better overall player and the Thunder would be better off without Durant taking shots from Westbrook, but I personally believe it's still the other way around. Durant needs to play on a team where he can be the #1 option on offense and have everyone else be defensively great. Durant can score on anyone whenever he wants and put up 40 points a night easily without having a point guard, but the thunder don't let him go off because they need him to play defense as well. That team doesn't have the defensive surrounding cast to cover up Durant's flaws on defense. 3. As good as Westbrook and Durant are, the OKC thunder aren't systematically a great team. Westbrook and Durant run that offense pretty much on the fly and they don't have 1000 sexy plays that end in free buckets like the warriors and spurs (and hawks). For a team like OKC or the Cavs for that matter to beat the spurs/warriors in today's game, they need to outrebound them and they need to be GREAT defensively. The Thunder beat the spurs because they played great defense and outrebounded them, and they almost did the same to the warriors, but the warriors offense figured out the OKC defense or OKC just got tired. Also the warriors defense just became completely next level in those last three games against the thunder and the poor cavs are still feeling that.

5. It really is that simple. The spurs and warriors are miles and miles above any other team. OKC and the cavs are flawed teams with amazing players. The east doesn't have anyone near as talented as those teams in the west, and the cavs look way better playing the teams in the east then they do against the warriors. Im not sure if you're talking about the old cavs as well, but those old cavs teams with Lebron were completely awful and Lebron was a complete god for getting them to the finals. While the warriors have this core of draymond/curry/thompson I don't really see anyone challenging them which is kind of sad.

6. Kinda just answered this question, but Golden State could be winning titles for the next couple years. They have so many ridiculously good contracts. Perfect perfect situation for them.

7. Outrebounded and got stops. The spurs are older and slower then the warriors, so Durant and Westbrook were able to bother them enough to beat them. Spurs are IMO better then the thunder, but the thunder are visibly more athletic and bigger then any team in the NBA right now. That athleticism and size would bother any team.

8. Endorsements

9. After the NBA Finals.

10. Doubt it. I think Lebron is stuck in Cleveland. As long as he stays healthy and Durant doesn't move to the east I can see him winning another championship eventually with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I dont know why people think durant would go to San Antonio. Tony parker is garbage. Aldridge and Leonard can't create their own shot and KD is a shitty passer, that offense would be stagnant as fuck
    Thing is, Durant doesn't need to pass. Curry isn't that great of a passer either. That system would work for Durant because Kawhi and Aldridge can play elite defense around him. Parker is done though.. which is a shame. Definitely bringing the potential of that team down.

PG: ???
    SG: Green
    SF: Kawhi
    PF: Durant
    C: Aldridge

Would probably contend with the warriors. Tons of size, shooting and defense on that team. I don't believe the spurs offense can ever ever ever look stagnant while popavich is the coach there.

OKCs current roster can contend with the Warriors. KD would be an idiot to leave to another Western conference team. It's either OKC or the east. If he goes to the Lakers I'll burn his house down and deface any statue we eventually build for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    OKCs current roster can contend with the Warriors. KD would be an idiot to leave to another Western conference team. It's either OKC or the east. If he goes to the Lakers I'll burn his house down and deface any statue we eventually build for him.
    I dunno man lol if I were durant id rather be on the spurs, warriors, celtics, pacers or raptors (in that order) then the thunder. Ibaka and the sg there really suck.

Durant isn't leaving OKC this year. 1 year contract is probably already done, just waiting til he's allowed to sign.

agreed 100% I just think westbrook and durant need to unleash themselves. neither is a good role player or #2 option. OKC is what happens when u have two ball dominant players on one team who dont play to there full potential off the ball.

How awesome would Mike Conley be on the spurs btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    How awesome would Mike Conley be on the spurs btw.
    would be a wise career move for him

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    So I don't follow the NBA as closely as some of you...so I have a few questions.

1. Two years ago warriors were just ok. Not awful but lost in the playoffs kinda team. Then last year they win and this year best of all time? WTF? What happened? I know curry got better but...wtf?

2. How are the other non Curry players good? Legit could not name one player on that team (other than curry) two years ago.

3. Is Steve kerr a god a coaching or something?

4. How in the fuck did Thunder choke that series away?

5. Why do the cavs always look like shit in the finals regardless of who they face? I know the east sucks balls but...come on man.

6. When will the Warriors fail? Like who can win the title now?

7. How did the Thunder fuck up the Spurs?

8. Why is the all star game still a thing? it is trash.

9. When is the draft again?

10. King James leaves Cavs now right? Same with Durant?
    1. Golden State has built mostly through the draft. But it takes a while for drafted players to start playing playoff basketball. It's rare that you draft a player and he dominates right away. It takes time to learn the NBA game and develop chemistry with your teammates. Curry has been in the league for 7 seasons (really closer to 6 because his 3rd season he missed most of due to injury), and he was good right away, but he's improved every season since. Klay has played 5 seasons, Barnes 4 seasons, Green 4 seasons, Ezeli 3 seasons. They've all improved since being drafted and are just now getting to the point where they are starting to play smart, quality basketball.

They've also done a good job of acquiring players recently via trades or free agency. In the last 3 seasons Golden State has added Iguodala, Livingston, Speights, Barbosa, and Rush. Bogut was added 4 years ago. All of these guys have been in the league for a while, so there wasn't really a big learning curve for them.

Pay attention to Minnesota, because a similar thing might happen to them very soon. Their best players are 20 year olds, and you don't win a lot when your best players are 20, but in a few years they could be very good.

2. As mentioned previously, Golden State's best players other than Curry (Green, Klay) haven't been in the league for that long. Iguodala was acquired by Golden State only 3 years ago.

3. It's hard to rate Steve Kerr as a coach. You can credit him with establishing Golden State's current team identity, or at least establishing a style of play that is conducive to his personnel. Some coaches don't do that. Some coaches have one system that they play and they need the right personnel in order for it to be successful. You can at least give credit to Steve Kerr for adapting to his personnel and not forcing them to play a dumb way. But, I mean, at this point I think you could take a homeless guy off the street to coach Golden State and they'd still win 70 games.

4. They couldn't close out games.

5. Mostly the East sucks balls. Also you can't force chemistry. You can't just throw a bunch of good players together and expect them to be completely in sync. It takes time. And Golden State is a bad, bad matchup for Cleveland.

6. Like Spencer said, I think they have to be the favorites for at least the next few years. But inuries happen, and players are moving around all the time. Oklahoma City will still be good. Spurs seem to always be good. Minnesota will probably be pretty good in 3ish years.

7. Ask Prof, he would know better than the rest of us.

8. Agree.

9. June 23rd

10. I don't think either will leave. James would face incredible backlash from media and fans if he left Cleveland. He'll probably get new teammates, though, and maybe a new coach. And for Durant, it's hard to imagine him landing in a better situation than he is currently with OKC. OKC with Durant and Westbrook is one of the 4 best teams in the NBA. And he probably likes a lot of his teammates. Billy D appears to be a decent coach.

Ok thanks people.

Personally I think Durant stays for one more year then goes allowing OKC to overpay for westbrook.

James is never going to win a title in Cleveland.

Thread Information