Page 66 of 147 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Thread: For NBA fans

Comparing Gobert to Ben Wallace is an insult to Wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
    Comparing Gobert to Ben Wallace is an insult to Wallace.
    Wallace will be in HOF soon

I can agree with that post Sano, but gobert is the closest thing we have to Ben in our current NBA and this Jazz team is the closest team, imo, in the league to having a title contender without any legit allstar players.

@prof Its hard to compare sheed and Millsap because they're similar in terms of being underrated PF, but their games were very different. Sheed was a more explosive player, but Millsap gets it done offensively as well as Sheed with other tools. Defensively, Sheed was a monster, but Millsap is such a smart system defender it's hard to say they aren't on par. If we're comparing the two players in terms of actual skill and athleticism, Sheed would win (much like most PF from the 90s/early 2000s) but in terms of what Millsap brings to a team in today's NBA it's hard to say Sheed was more valuable to those pistons teams then Millsap would be to the Jazz if traded.

Billups was way better offensively then Hill, but Hill is a very smart 2 way player whereas Billups was a bulldog like Lowry. I would prefer Hill defensively if I'm being honest and I'd rathere have the ball in Haywards hands anyways. As a secondary ball handler who can play off the ball and defend, hill is awesome in his role.

Hood and Hamilton are pretty comparable. I think I would take 04 hamilton over hood, but only because hood is inexperienced. Would argue Hood has more potential, but they're very similar.

Hayward to me is clearly a much better player then prince ever was. Prince was a revolutionary player at the time with his 3 and D play, but Hayward is no slouch on defense and does a whole lot more offensively. In a sense, Hayward is what Billups was for the Pistons. An unheralded all star who should be given more credit.

So ya, though I agree Detroits wings were better as a whole, I do think both units are comparable and with some experience, may yet prove to be as good.

End of the day, my main point in this argument is that Millsap would bump the jazz defense to #1 in the league as currently constructed and bump it's offense to the top 7 at least. You can win a championship with the undisputed #1 defense in the league and a top 10 offense and if the Jazz won it, they would only be the second team in history to win it without any all stars on the team. Which I think is very cool and what I cheer for when I watch the NBA
    Last edited by Spencer 555; 01-13-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Like I said, Millsap is good, but he's not turning the Jazz into a powerhouse. And the Jazz can't afford Millsap, Gobert, and Hayward on max contracts and maintain the depth they have. Millsap wants the 150/million or whatever that he's eligible for. It's a lot to gamble for a non-superstar wanting that money which is why Atlanta wanted to trade him at first.

The Jazz might make the second round if that, but that's as far as they go, even with Millsap.

Haha well I disagree with your assessment of milsap, but you're most likely right about Utah being too cheap and conservative to fork out that kinda money for a player that could make them a contender regardless.

That being said, I think I've seen enough from Trey Lyles to say I think he has the potential to be what Utah needs at PF in the next couple years, so maybe they can just grow internally and be even better with their own guys. I still think they should try to package those three in a trade just to get rid of Alec Burks terrible contract and get some value out of favors before he loses it all sitting on the bench. Favors is a really valuable player in the right circumstances, just not when your team has Gobert or a player in that ilk lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555
    I can agree with that post Sano, but gobert is the closest thing we have to Ben in our current NBA and this Jazz team is the closest team, imo, in the league to having a title contender without any legit allstar players.
    Gobert is not the closest thing we have to Ben Wallace and the Jazz have nothing to do with that comparison.

Ben Wallace won DPOTY 4 times in 5 seasons and had 4 seasons of 1000+ rebounds and averaged 15 rpg in a season and is a lock for the hall of fame. Comparing a 2-3 year player to Ben Fucking Wallace is dumb

I'm not saying Gobert is on Bens level, but Gobert is the best defensive big man in the game since Ben. Wallace and that pistons team is my fav Era of basketball so you don't need to preach to me about how awesome wallace is. If I had it my way Wallace would literally go down as the greatest defensive big man of all time so you literally are preaching to the choir right now about him lol.

PS I hope Gobert wins dpoy this year and I at least expect him to win a couple in his career. Dude is a fantastic player.

Ben Wallace will not make the HOF

that's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    I'm not saying Gobert is on Bens level, but Gobert is the best defensive big man in the game since Ben. Wallace and that pistons team is my fav Era of basketball so you don't need to preach to me about how awesome wallace is. If I had it my way Wallace would literally go down as the greatest defensive big man of all time so you literally are preaching to the choir right now about him lol.
    Dwight Howard?

Thread Information