Page 70 of 147 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120 ... LastLast

Thread: For NBA fans

4/5's back then were Bigs in general. At the end of the day, they were the anchor of top notch defenses, and again I would argue those three are better than Ben.

Howard especially had a chance to have a special career, but his desire to leave Orlando (which I believe never happens if LeBron stays in Cleveland) and come back early after back surgery with the Lakers just diminished him. At his peak he was definitely better than Wallace. Dude anchored one of the best defenses with Rashard Lewis, Turkoglu, and Rafer Alston/Jameer Nelson. He was also likable during those times.

Totally agree on that statement about howard but only for Orlando Howard and only when he was at his peak their. Dude killed his career leaving and letting shaq and other media members influence him (love shaq, but he was a terrible mentor for dwight). It's pretty amazing that he's still one of the better big men in the game right now, but I'm not sure that's him being good or a testament to the shitty quality of big men in our game today.

If we're gonna classify 4's from that Era as big men, which is understandable, I agree that Duncan and KG were comparably great defensively and arguably better then wallace on that end.
    Last edited by Spencer 555; 01-15-2017 at 02:37 PM.

I really don't see how you think big men are of shitty quality in the league right now. 4/5s dominate the game still. Porzingis, Favors, Millsap, Ibaka, Aldridge, ANOTHY DAVIS????, Drummond, TOWNS????, COUSINS????, DeAndre Jordan??

Blanket statements like that are ridiculous. To say the NBA has a shitty quality of bigs right now is grossly wrong.

Not shitty, just not consistent enough. We went from Shaq, TD, KG, and Dirk to the list above.

3 of those can or will be compared to the above 4.

Davis: pure stud. Too injury prone. Worried that what gives him a sizable advantage with his lean frame will never allow him to play a full season.

Cousins: Best big in the game and no player can stop him. Only problem, they don't have too because he stops himself. Blame the Kings if you want, but he was dysfunctional before he got there. Can't control emotions.

Towns: TBD. Best POTENTIAL of anybody. We'll see if Thibs can bring it out. Size, quickness, skills. Doesn't seem like he'll have Davis' injury issues.

Eidt: Can't believe we forgot about The Process himself, Joel Embiid. If this guy can stay healthy (his injuries have been way more serious) then he will be the best. It's crazy but he hasn't even played basketball that long (I don't mean professionally, I mean ever) and to think he's this good already? Chad Ford stated he had Hakeem as his ceiling and health permitting he's right.
    Last edited by The Professor; 01-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Prof sumed it up well. The bigs of our generation are promising, but a lot of the guys you mentioned up their don't compare to what we used to have. The game for generations was run through big men, down low in the post. Today's NBA is about guard play almost exclusively, and the only team that runs a system through a big man thats doing well is the grizzlies because Marc can pass like a point guard, shoot threes and defend adequately.

And for the record, I didn't make a blanket statement about the state of big men in our league, I just said I can't really tell if the 5 position is watered down in today's NBA compared to the "golden age" I referenced, where so many big men were monsters in the paint. I certainly don't hate what basketball has become, but I think the mid to late 2000s and everything before the spurs dismantled the heat with the most beautiful basketball ever played and Steph curry's 3 point revolution was kinda a transitional period between generations.

This new generation has a boat load of talent everywhere on the court and we have like 10 legit mega stars. It's pretty awesome and honestly way more fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    but I'm not sure that's him being good or a testament to the shitty quality of big men in our game today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555
    And for the record, I didn't make a blanket statement about the state of big men in our league,
    ok

@Prof Really excited for Embiid, forgot about him just because as you said he hasn't been playing long. We can't ask for consistency when 3 or the 4 dudes you said haven't been in the NBA that long though.

Sano, that literally means "I'm not sure if howard is just really good or bigs in the league now are just shitty" in layman's.

Dear Cavs,

Get fucked.

- Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Dear Cavs,

Get fucked.

- Warriors
    That was weird game. I believe Cleveland had won 4 straight right? But Vegas had GS as 9 pt favorites at tip off. How the hell do they know it's gonna be a rout there?

Warriors were due for a win? Warriors point differential off the charts? Warriors are better at home? Cleveland barely won a couple of those 4 games? Cleveland was on its fifth or sixth straight road game? No JR Smith? Cleveland hasn't actually looked good all month?

Idk, but if you look at everything from an unbiased analytical perspective, probably makes sense.

Thread Information