I think the MVP in baseball actually does a pretty good job (at least lately) of measuring the stats in a vacuum. Trout likely would win MVP every single year (excluding this year) if we went stritcly by "BEST" player of any given year, but I think things like durability, clutchness and playing for a playoff team still matter. All things being close, Im going to break the tie with the player that plays for the best team.

My picks if the season ended right now:

AL mvp: It's ridiculously close, but Im gonna say JD Martinez. Jose Ramirez is a damn close second and I think Betts has missed a bit too much time.

AL cy: I think Verlander wins it running away. If its close down the stretch, im giving it to verly to make up for the porcello travesty.

NL mvp: I think it goes to whoevers team makes the playoffs, but its between Freddy Freeman and Arenado for me. Carpenter will probably finish with the best stats, but they aren't soo much better then Arenado or Freeman that he will have a chance.

NL Cy: Scherzer. Excellent case of the team success doesnt matter. He wins the CY regardless because he's been so much better then everyone else. Degrom would have been in contention and I think Nola/Corbin will get some good votes if their teams make the playoffs.. but Scherzer is the best pitcher in baseball.