Page 182 of 194 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1935

Thread: For MLB fans

Im with you Hugh. Only time a non playoff team player should win an mvp is if they put up all time numbers or smoke the competition. Id say trout winning it this year isn't completely egregious because I would agree he was the best player in the AL pretty significantly, but he missed almost 30 games due to injury. Bregman put up mvp numbers in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    At least your ownership group brings home the hardware.
    And I haven’t read anything and Mookie Betts leaving Boston except trade speculation.
    They're shopping him because he doesn't want to be here. Boston is pretty cut throat when it comes to sports, not just baseball. If you listen online to 98.5 Sports Hub they talk pretty regularly about how athletes across all four sports hate coming here because it's championship or bust. It's the culture here, like the Red Sox could get to game 7 of the ACLS and lose and the city would be like WHAT A BUNCH OF FAHKIN LOSAHS.

I'm aware of how spoiled we are, there's no denying we've been the biggest sports dynasty in American history the last twenty years I've seen four World Series titles, Six Super Bowl titles. One Stanley Cup. One NBA title. Then I've seen three Super Bowl appearances they lost, two Stanley Cups they lost, and one NBA championship they lost. Not to mention how often Boston teams across all sports make it into the post season and have success.

But most people aren't aware. It's why athletes hate coming here. The expectations are too high. Terry Francona after he left the Red Sox did an interview and he was like "man you should measure years in Boston like dog years they want so much from you." And I think the people here are fucking stupid because this is a freakish thing and it isn't going to last. I mean it's insane, there's no denying we dominated the entire country across every sport for twenty years, but it's not going to last. I don't get it because like when I was a kid, Boston SUCKED at everything. The Curse of the Bambino was still a thing, nobody won shit, and it was after decades of like the Celtics winning everything, the Bruins too. We had our run but it's all going to come crashing down eventually.

I don’t have my finger on the pulse of Boston sports, but if you’re saying Mookie Betts doesn’t want to play for the Red Sox as if it’s common knowledge there and widely accepted as truth, it’s makes sense that Red Sox ownership might be hesitant to sign a 10 year $300 million deal with a player who doesn’t want to be there.
    The Nationals didn’t sign Bryce Harper and they just won the World Series. Mookie Betts is an awesome player but they can’t sign some huge blockbuster deal and make him the face of the franchise if he doesn’t want to be in Boston.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Well that's the thing, and I didn't quantify it well in my last post. Nobody wants to be here because of the sports culture. Like you said, you don't have your finger on the pulse of Boston sports culture because you're not here, which makes sense. I don't know shit about Seattle.

David Price has famously HATED it here since he got here. He just got paid so he stuck with it. It's exhausting being an athlete here because the expectations are so absurdly high. The Bruins made it to game seven of the Stanley Cup last year and after literally everyone was like "blow it up, trade every single one of them and start over." I'm from Boston and even I can admit the insane amount of championships we've had the last twenty years has made it too cut throat here. I wouldn't want to come here if I was an athlete.

Yeah, Boston sports fans have zero perspective. Either they never had it or they lost it somewhere along the way.
    Even you said you think Red Sox ownership is fucking stupid and you could fix what’s wrong in 5 minutes even though you’ve seen what, 4 WS in your adult life? Lol.
    That’s the thing. You can say you’re aware that you’re spoiled and maybe in the literal sense that’s true, but you don’t actually have any idea what that sounds like to someone like me.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

I do, actually. I'm of the age where I got stuck in the middle of my dad, and then the generation after me. My age is basically the only generation that saw Boston sports suck. My dad grew up during like the Bill Russel era in the NBA where they won what, I think fifteen times before I was even born? He saw all the Bruins crazy early success. Then you have my cousins who are younger than me who were born after the late nineties and all they've seen nothing but success across all four sports, and absurd, historical success. So they know nothing else (and they're going to be in for a rough time when it stops, because it will stop).

I grew up in the nineties when we were the laughing stock of sports culture. EVERY team fucking SUCKED. So I'm actually like a rarity for Boston sports fans, I didn't see the crazy historical stuff, and I don't only know the recent success.

So when I say it's annoying they're letting Mookie walk, I mean it in a financial sense. They have the money to give him a huge contract, and it's annoying because we have the highest ticket prices in baseball. It's not the first time they've been cheap here and let huge players walk, and it sucks that you can't even afford to go to Fenway for a game and they routinely refuse to pay people. If I have to pay twenty dollars for a beer at Fenway it's annoying when you see them like a Mike Trout level player leave and be like "we couldn't afford him" knowing the announcement was written from John Henry's private yacht.

There's also the other thing here that people might not be aware of, and it's how Boston and New York in baseball is basically a rich guy competition. It pisses people off here because John Henry is just as filthy wealthy as Steinbrenner, but Steinbrenner just pays for whatever needs to happen and it's way cheaper to go to Yankee Stadium than it is Fenway. Which is dumb. I'd actually say, as a Red Sox fan, that the Yankees and Red Sox are the reason there should be a salary cap in baseball. Every few years they blow everyone out of the water with signings because they both have so much money, and it's absolutely unfair to the rest of the league. The David Price contract was fucking stupid high.

But yes, your point stands about me. I've seen four World Series wins, and countless ACLS appearances, one Stanley Cup and two other Cup appearances, Six Super Bowls and three other appearances, one one NBA Championship and one other NBA Championship appearance. And basically every team in every sport has extremely deep runs every year. So I get what you're saying.

I do think it’s cool you’re a baseball fan. Baseball is something that makes no sense to anyone who isn’t a fan, and I totally get why, but I love it. Even listening to it on the radio is something I still love to do.

I love listening to it on the radio. I think it's the old timey aesthetic of it to be honest. I do wood working and my favorite thing is listening to the Sox on the radio out in my garage. I have this running joke with my family that I would be the ultimate 1920s baseball announcer because I'm stupid good at voices (if I was smarter when I was younger I'd have gone into voice acting). I can do like that old timey TED WILLIAMS HIT A FROZEN ROPE INTO MID FIELD HE'S ROUNDING FIRST NOW SECOND NOW THIRD AND HE'S SLIIIIIIIIIDING INTO HOME AND HE'S!!!! OUT. OH HORSE FEATHERS...."

Haha.

The pats success boggles my mind. I dont understand how a coach and quarterback can be so dominant over such a long length of time without the game passing them by and evolving. Is football just stuck in it's ways? I don't pay much attention to football, but the other major sports have changed a ton over the years recently and the dinosaur coaches who can't adapt are ran outta town. Hockey has a new speed/skill element that's essential, baseball has the homeruns, strikeouts, defensive shifting and 100mph pitches, basketball has wingspan and 3 pointers. From an outside perspective, bellicheck seems to have cracked the code and noone else knows how to beat his schemes.

In hockey with the bruins, the success has been cultural I believe. The players have always been the gritty/tough sons of bitches cause thats the boston way.

Red sox success, I think, has to do with analytics becoming much better at predicting success and essentially making it easier for high payroll teams to spend effectively. Imo, the red sox are basically the leafs of baseball. Highest ticket price, most rabid idiotic fans who don't tolerate failure but show up to games no matter what.

Celtics success, I think is a good representation of what to look forward to in boston when this run is over. Smart franchize, good coaching, but attracting free agents is hard and success (especially championships) is hard.

Thread Information