You’re right about old baseball fans, Ach, but the young generation takes over for the old one every time. To use a baseball term, they’re batting 1.000. Eventually all the old fuckers that like watching incompetent turds fuck up balls and strikes and ruin games will be dead and baseball will either change or die with them.
As far as stats go, steroids effected stats for an entire era more than just calling a pure strike zone will in my opinion. Sure they don’t let steroid users into the HOF ( yet ) but they aren’t throwing out their stats. Barry Bonds is still the all time HR leader.
They’re already using the machine to show tv viewers the strike zone, so we can see every time the ump fucks up. They don’t have to do that. If they were worried about keeping the game pure, they wouldn’t. They’re using instant replay and manager challenges. All these things are new. I’ve read they’re experimenting with robot umpires in minor leagues already.
I think it’s coming. People can beat their chests about the purity of the game and that dumb shit all they want but when it comes down to the nut cutting ( and it already has ) cash is king. Baseball isn’t going to die on principle.
I think we’ll see it happen in the next 5 years.