They will never in a million years do that. I agree with you, but there's no way it will ever happen. Baseball fans are obsessed with the old timey aesthetic of baseball. People would flip the fuck out if they got rid of home plate umpires. That's a huge part of the reason baseball is losing so many viewers, they refuse to modernize it because of that aesthetic, you know like BBWA types who don't wan to change the game. In my opinion they need to come close to cutting the season in half, add a pitch clock, take off three innings, etc. The average length of a baseball game is over three hours, and you get them 5-6 games a week. Nobody has time for that. I might not like football personally but the one thing about it I totally dig is it's an event. It's once a week and it's a huge deal when it comes around. Baseball, which is my favorite sport to watch, is so frequent it's not really a big deal if I miss games. I'd personally like it a lot more if they cut the season down, made games more meaningful as a result, and they were less frequent.

So in that vein I definitely agree with you. They should do away with plate umps. They just won't because they're so obsessed with how it will affect baseball stats, because you technically can no longer really compare stats between an era where you had an ump's subjective call and a computerized call. Which, I'm with you, I don't give a fuck it makes more sense to use the machine. But all the math purists in baseball would never in a million years allow that, along with the old timey american past time folks.