Page 158 of 194 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1935

Thread: For MLB fans

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    Liverpool, the Glazer family (Tampa Bay Bucs family ownership) owns Manchester United and the rest is a publicly traded company ($MANU).
    Ah my bad you're right, I know nothing about Premier League soccer, I got the teams mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    I think your expectations are just unreasonably high Ach. Boston sports media is pretty much sensationalist bullshit imo.

The team is in first place and you have a young core that's setup to succeed and contend for years. Mookie Betts is giving trout a run for his money as the best player in baseball and I think you also have the best pitcher in baseball in Chris Sale. Most people would love to have a team of that caliber in their city.

You and gryph are gonna make me go nuts complaining about dynastic sports teams. Enjoy it while it lasts man.
    This is what I mean when I say having access to local media totally changes your perception.

Boston is definitely the place to be for sports now. We win basically everything with regularity. But the Red Sox have been so fucked with management problems since 2013. The ownership is making outrageous money because Fenway is a huge tourist destination since it's a historic ballpark. It sells out basically every single game. They delivered the World Series and now it's basically just a money making factory for them.

We'll lose Mookie Betts, mark my words. He'll sign somewhere else. People here want these owners out. And like Gryph said, Dombrowski absolutely gutted our farm system for relatively nothing.

I do get what you're saying though, it's basically championship or bust in Boston no matter the sport. It's why David Price is miserable here, he flips out in the media almost daily because people are so critical. He can't wait to get out of here. It's super common among all four major sports for athletes to positively hate it here because our expectations are so high, and the city is just full of assholes.

And I don't mean that last part as a joke, people move here and hate how brutal we are about basically everything. It's a cultural thing, we're just really mean to each other in Boston. My ex-fiancee couldn't stand it here because of how mean everyone is, but I grew up here so I'm just used to it. So, again, David Price is the best example. The local journalists regularly crucify him and I'm like waiting to hear he shot up a school or something because he's slowly losing his mind. He can't wait to get out of here.

Ya I feel you Ach, I guess id just expect you to be "above" the lunacy, but I suppose that's not fair of me to assume considering you're not really a sports guy.

I think there are segments of every fan base who is like that tho honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Ya I feel you Ach, I guess id just expect you to be "above" the lunacy, but I suppose that's not fair of me to assume considering you're not really a sports guy.

I think there are segments of every fan base who is like that tho honestly.
    I mostly hate sports but I do like baseball. It was a wild ride seeing the Red Sox finally win in 2004. I can't stand football, which is funny being from here because we've ruled the NFL for years. I don't care about basketball or hockey either.

I totally understand we're spoiled in Boston. But people not from here don't realize what a mess the upper management of that team is. We've been scratching our heads for five years now trying to figure it out, and unfortunately Fenway has basically become a giant ATM machine for the owners. They'll do the bare minimum to get to the playoffs and nothing more.

The Royals won the World Series three years ago.
    Today they’re 41 games under .500 with a -196 run differential. I mean holy fucking crap.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

That’s just not true, Ach. There are lots of sports teams that do just the bare minimum to make money or stay competetuve and the 2018 Boston Red Sox aren’t that. Not even close. They have a $206 million dollar payroll, fucking loaded with talent, and by far the best record in all of baseball.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

I hate the Patriots rule the NFL thing. I consider the Jets/Dolphins/Bills historically garbage. At least the Yankees/Red Sox play against each other so it's legit competitive. Patriots can do whatever the fuck they want until the playoffs because the three other teams are always bottom half teams and usually bottom 10.

Yeah, the Jets are a terrible franchise. They sprinkle a good season in now and then, but overall they’ve been shit for as long as I’ve been watching football.

I haven't worded this well, which is my fault.

The Red Sox should be like when Steinbrenner ruled the MLB with more money than god. Considering their payroll, they have absolutely not done well in the post season the last few years. Again, coming here is a nightmare for a ton of athletes. David Price only came here for money and he still hasn't won a single post season game in his entire career.

This is what I mean when I say having access to local media makes it different, as it would in any city. We're absolutely doing better than most teams, there's no questioning that. But like I said, we're for sure going to lose Mookie Betts and probably Jackie Bradley Jr., which comes back to the Steinbrenner thing. They have the money but they won't use it, unlike Steinbrenner who did anything to win. It's just an ATM for them. Go look at the last few years, they gutted the farm system and we make it to the first round of the playoffs every year. Sometimes we don't even make it. But you can get sushi at Fenway and buy a neat pink hat!

They just turned it into a fan experience at this point with the Red Sox. I stopped watching. I'd kill to see them sell them to new owners.

I have no idea wtf Cashman is doing, so far he's cleared up 6 players from the 40 man roster, mostly for International spending money, and signed Osiel Rodgriguez the #1 guy from the pipeline last night, then dumps Warren for more money, Tyler Austin was seen shaking hands with players and coaches before departing field in the 4th inning of today's game, no official word, but he wasn't part of M's trade.

He's either protecting the guys who will be Rule 5 eligible, or he's clearing roster spots for someone huge, I don't really agree with most of it as he's basically gutted most of the frontend of our bullpen, leaving Shreve, Gallegos, and Warren who are long relievers, I honestly think he's putting too much faith in AJ Cole, John Holder, and whoever else is going to come up (most likely Acevado)

Thread Information