Page 170 of 194 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1935

Thread: For MLB fans

Yeah that's probably the only one though that I can think of though that's comparable. I don't think anything like this has happened other than this and where you are in the Bay Area. The only difference is I got to live it which was a much difference experience. I hate basketball and football but I like baseball and hockey, but no less it's been a prolific time to be a sports fan in Boston. The Celtics, even though I don't care about basketball, are absolutely going to own the East now. The Patriots are on the tail end of their dynasty with Tom Brady being as old as he is, but they obviously got their worth out of him. The Bruins are always in contention (though most of us here feel they should have won more than they did, they sort of under preformed), and the Red Sox look like they're set up to be a dynasty for the next few years.

It's funny too because Boston SUCKED at every sport when I was a kid in the nineties. We didn't win a damn thing. Once the Patriots won in 2001 it was just insane, we started winning absolutely everything across all four sports. I don't even think it's up for debate that we're the most prolific sports town of the last twenty years, and by a huge margin. It'll come to an end eventually, it always does, but it's at least been a fun ride.

But yeah, Bay Area is probably the only thing that's similar.

uh... I grew up with it too.
    49ers dominate in the 90s (2 SB, but it was basically was Cowboys v. 49ers the AFC was irrelevant), then Lakers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, then Warriors, 2015, 2017, 2018. Angels who no one cares about unless you are vacationing in the summer to Disneyland pick up a game on the week trip, they even won in 2002. Then Giants won the world series in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Plus although not the same the whole Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa thing was awesome and Bonds was in SF and McGwire went insane in St Louis he was still rooted for heavily in Oakland -- Sammy Sosa was kinda the villian. It's not like the Bay Area or CA became irrelevant after the 70s/80s era. I include Lakers because that is more heavily rooted for in the Bay Area than like the Kings -- it's prolly 59%/39%/2% Warriors/Lakers/Kings fans.

California has won the NBA Championship 8 times in the last 18 years. Plus have Kevin Durant/Thompson/Green/Curry/(Cousins?) superteam and LeBron in LA. California is winning next yet too.

uh... I grew up with it too.
    49ers dominate in the 90s (2 SB, but it was basically was Cowboys v. 49ers the AFC was irrelevant), then Lakers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, then Warriors, 2015, 2017, 2018. Angels who no one cares about unless you are vacationing in the summer to Disneyland pick up a game on the week trip, they even won in 2002. Then Giants won the world series in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Plus although not the same the whole Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa thing was awesome and Bonds was in SF and McGwire went insane in St Louis he was still rooted for heavily in Oakland -- Sammy Sosa was kinda the villian. It's not like the Bay Area or CA became irrelevant after the 70s/80s era. I include Lakers because that is more heavily rooted for in the Bay Area than like the Kings -- it's prolly 59%/39%/2% Warriors/Lakers/Kings fans.

California has won the NBA Championship 8 times in the last 18 years. Plus have Kevin Durant/Thompson/Green/Curry/(Cousins?) superteam and LeBron in LA. California is winning next yet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I actually hate football and never watch it and think it's the dumbest sport to ever be created and paste needs to be 60% of your diet to enjoy watching it, so I have no fucking clue what that is. I don't even know how to play football or any of the rules. I remember MIT did a study a few years back where they determined that on average they only actually play football for 9% of the actual football broadcast. It's basically just hours of you watching people in pads walk around with their hands on their hips, shots of the coaches with headsets on, shots of the crowd. They more or less don't play football. And it was like quantifiable data so it's not my opinion. Nothing happens in football. So even if whatever that this photo is is something bad, I genuinely don't care. If I was a dictator my first act would be to eliminate football. It's like watching people who are bored in a doctor's office fiddling around waiting for their appointment. There's literally a study that shows you just watch people stand around.
    Here here!

Toronto has drake tho

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    Bay Area in the 1970s-1980s:
    Athletics: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
    Raiders: 1977, 1981, 1984
    Warriors: 1975
    49ers: 1982, 1985, 1989

if you extend to include all of California the Lakers won six championships in that 2 decade span as well: 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88
    plus there was a Californian in the presidency for the majority of the era (Nixon until 74, then Reagan 81-89)

that's gotta be somewhat comparable right?
    I know Hulky, I was speaking to this. You didn't live this is what I meant.

I actually hate football and never watch it and think it's the dumbest sport to ever be created and paste needs to be 60% of your diet to enjoy watching it, so I have no fucking clue what that is. I don't even know how to play football or any of the rules. I remember MIT did a study a few years back where they determined that on average they only actually play football for 9% of the actual football broadcast. It's basically just hours of you watching people in pads walk around with their hands on their hips, shots of the coaches with headsets on, shots of the crowd. They more or less don't play football. And it was like quantifiable data so it's not my opinion. Nothing happens in football. So even if whatever that this photo is is something bad, I genuinely don't care. If I was a dictator my first act would be to eliminate football. It's like watching people who are bored in a doctor's office fiddling around waiting for their appointment. There's literally a study that shows you just watch people stand around.
    I love football. Loved playing it, love watching it. I love everything about it.
    I have zero interest in WWE but lots of people in here love it. That’s cool. You don’t see me ripping it or calling them retards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Sorry, my bad. I was probably a little harsh. I get a little too blunt when I think out loud plus I have harsh sense of humor that I sometimes do a bad job at making it obvious I'm joking. You're right, I didn't mean to seem disrespectful.

I guess in a more poised and respectful way I just don't understand what's likable about it? The plays only last like a few seconds and it stops constantly. Like I said, there's quantifiable data that shows that they don't play much football in a football game relative to the broadcast. I know most people argue it's like a game of chess, so I suppose if that's your thing then it's all you and enjoy it; I'm well aware that I'm absolutely in the minority in my opinion of the game. I just personally have never understood the appeal. I haven't watched a football game probably since the nineties, it just bores me to tears. But I mean whatever, different strokes for different folks.

I always wondered why rugby never became popular here. People love football for a lot of reasons but the hits are obviously a huge appeal to people. Rugby is brutal and fast paced, it's something I think Americans would really like. I always thought it was odd it didn't have more of a following in the US.

I know Hulky, I was speaking to this. You didn't live this is what I meant.
    12 championships in NBA and MLB since 2000 for CA. Definitely grew up with the Steve Young Jerry Rice (and then Jerry in Oakland) era. Oakland and SF both went and lost a SB since 2000 as well. Dodgers lost the world series last year and likely go this year as well.

1988: Lakers (Champion), Dodgers (Champion), Athletics (Lost Championship), Jose Canseco (MVP, Athletics)
    1989: Athletics (Champion), Giants (Lost Championship) 49ers (Champion), Joe Montana (MVP, 49ers), Magic Johnson (MVP)
    1990: 49ers (Champion), Athletics (Lost Championship) Joe Montana (MVP, 49ers), Magic Johnson (MVP)
    1991:
    1992: Steve Young (MVP, 49ers)
    1993: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants)
    1994: Steve Young (MVP, 49ers)
    1995: 49ers (Champion), Chargers (Lost Championship)
    1996:
    1997:
    1998: Padres (Lost Championship)
    1999:
    2000: Lakers (Champion), Jason Giambi (MVP, Athletics), Shaq (MVP)
    2001: Lakers (Champion), Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), San Jose Earthquakes (Champion)
    2002: Lakers (Champion), Angels (Champion), Giants (Lost Championship), Rich Gannon (MVP, Athletics), Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), LA Galaxy (Champion)
    2003: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), San Jose Earthquakes (Champion), Raiders (Lost Championship), Anaheim Mighty Ducks (Champion)
    2004: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants)
    2005: LA Galaxy (Champion)
    2006: LaDainian Tomlinson (MVP, Chargers)
    2007: Anaheim Ducks (Champion)
    2008: Kobe Bryant (MVP)
    2009: Lakers (Champion)
    2010: Lakers (Champion), Giants (Champion)
    2011: LA Galaxy (Champion)
    2012: Giants (Champion), Buster Posey (MVP, Giants), LA Galaxy, LA Kings (Champion)
    2013: 49ers (Lost Championship)
    2014: Giants (Champion), LA Galaxy (Champion), LA Kings (Champion)
    2015: Warriors (Champion), Steph Curry (MVP)
    2016: Steph Curry (MVP), San Jose Sharks (Lost Championship)
    2017: Warriors (Champion), Dodgers (Lost Championship)
    2018: Warriors (Champion), Dodgers (???)

I dunno California has been pretty good in my lifetime too...

I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm saying what's going down in Boston is a generational thing that doesn't happen in most places. I'm not saying it hasn't happened other places. California has absolutely had a good run. Just that what's happening here is pretty extraordinary, most cities don't get something like this where they dominate in all four sports for this long. So I mean you're just as lucky as I am. You included MLS too - the Revolution haven't won but they've been damn good for a long time. We're spoiled here currently is my point.

Thread Information