Thread: For MLB fans

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well that's sort of like the thing with it (and I'm genuinely not bragging or beating my chest, I think we can all agree the last twenty years in Boston has been insane), is basically the rhetoric on all news media here since like 2010 is "this is going to come crashing down eventually," and it just... hasn't. I know it will, I'd be dumb to think it won't. But this has just gotten historically insane at this point. I mean like Hugh noted, "what do you think this sounds like to me," I've seen an absolutely historical amount of championships here. Four World Series, Six Superbowls, one NBA Championship, and Stanley Cup and with basically constant post season deep runs in every single sport as well as other multiple championship appearances any of said four teams (except the Red Sox, they've won all of them handily) came pretty close to winning.

Nothing like this has ever happened. It's fucking insane. Like it's not out of the question that the Patriots could win the Superbowl this year. The Bruins got to game 7 of the Cup last year and now they look like absolute world beaters, the numbers they're putting up are insane. The Red Sox are super unpredictable which annoys me, the routinely win the WS then like miss the playoffs with the same exact team the next year which still boggles my mind, but their ownership has so much money they're basically in the running absolutely every year. And the Celtics are always in deep playoff runs and they're playing the long game and are absolutely going to be a contender and very soon since they've developed their youth.

It's nuts because I have friends all over the country and they all share the same exact sentiment as you guys, about how we're so spoiled we don't even know we're spoiled. Like I mentioned earlier, I was born in '89 so I at least saw a little over a decade of every sport team here being fucking garbage, so I'm not blind to it. But I can't imagine if you were like born in 1995 or so and all you've seen is every single team across all four sports absolutely crushing the rest of the country year in year out. Because basically once the Patriots won in 2001 after Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in, it for some reason absolutely opened up the flood gates and EVERYONE in EVERY sport started ruling. I remember after the Patriots second or third Super Bowl on opening day with the Red Sox they had the whole championship Patriots team come out from behind the flag with wheel barrels of dirt from Gillette Stadium and dump it all over the field at Fenway, and then the Red Sox had one of the most iconic runs to a World Series ever. It's been fucking wild here since 2001.

I'm thirty years old and I've been to twelve championship parades since I was twelve or thirteen or so. And across four sports.

It's going to be a rude awakening for that whole gen z generation once it inevitably happens. Like I said, this is surreal, and I wouldn't be surprised if this never happened in any city ever again. I know I'm very lucky to have been around for it.
    Last edited by Achilles; 11-24-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Thread Information