Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
I think the Marlins won that Realmuto trade. I don't know anything about Jorge Alfaro, but isn't Sixto Sanchez worth more? Like a 20 year old that can throw groundballs and 100 mph fastballs that isn't super wild? Isn't Realmuto like 28? Isn't this the Phillies saying our window is 3 years? I think I'd rather be the Marlins here.

Going to caveat it by saying if this is a move Bryce Harper wanted to come to Philly, then Philly did good. Then I could see the 3 year window making more sense.
Barf.

Just kidding mostly, but I STRONGLY believe that the Phillies won this trade. Potential isn't reality. Sixto Sanchez has a ton of potential but there's so much work in developing a pitcher and so much risk in their arms. Look at Michael Kopech who went to the White Sox in the Chris Sale deal. He's been great, but he's also missing a ton of time with TJS. I know multiple people after an elbow scare earlier that believe Sixto will have TJS sometime in the next two years. Plus tehre's reports that the Phillies soured on his conditioning routine. But even if all that is bullshit, I think you're VASTLY underrating the value at the catcher position.

Even IF Sixto's elbow is fine, their are just so many variables to get Sixto from where he is to where he needs to be. Realmuto is ELITE. And while, yes, he is only controlled for two years, it isn't the type of two year deal that bars you from signing anyone, and it gives you two years to lock him up potentially long term.

I've seen a few people prefer the Marlins side, so it definitely isn't a rare opinion. But I am so far on the other side of the fence that it isn't even funny. I don't even care if the Phillies win the next two years, as a calculated risk I love this. One real prospect, one elite CURRENT talent at the hardest defensive position to fill.

This trade is just a no-brainer to me. When I trade for Premium players, I'm expecting to give up packages of elite prospects. Jorge Alfaro has a chance to build into a league average Catcher, but I'm not an Alfaro believer. He had a 22% Whiff/SwStr% last year, and has never generated the type of power I'd want for someone who whiffs that much. His contact/power tool are just not intriguing to me. He's a completely expendable second piece.

JT Realmuto is my pick for best offensive and best catcher in baseball. And Catcher is the hardest position in baseball to find someoen who is competent on both sides of the game. Not having to give up more than one premium prospect for him, and having that one high premium prospect be a pitcher, is highway robbery IMO.