Page 180 of 194 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 1935

Thread: For MLB fans

You’re right about old baseball fans, Ach, but the young generation takes over for the old one every time. To use a baseball term, they’re batting 1.000. Eventually all the old fuckers that like watching incompetent turds fuck up balls and strikes and ruin games will be dead and baseball will either change or die with them.
    As far as stats go, steroids effected stats for an entire era more than just calling a pure strike zone will in my opinion. Sure they don’t let steroid users into the HOF ( yet ) but they aren’t throwing out their stats. Barry Bonds is still the all time HR leader.
    They’re already using the machine to show tv viewers the strike zone, so we can see every time the ump fucks up. They don’t have to do that. If they were worried about keeping the game pure, they wouldn’t. They’re using instant replay and manager challenges. All these things are new. I’ve read they’re experimenting with robot umpires in minor leagues already.
    I think it’s coming. People can beat their chests about the purity of the game and that dumb shit all they want but when it comes down to the nut cutting ( and it already has ) cash is king. Baseball isn’t going to die on principle.
    I think we’ll see it happen in the next 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I hate seeing them so slow to modernize it because it's such an awesome sport.

There's a really awesome BBWA journalist here in Boston, Tony Massarotti. He's a pretty big deal in sports journalism and has wrote several REALLY good books about baseball. He wrote an awesome book with Tim Wakefield about what it was like being a knuckle ball pitcher that's absolutely worth reading (https://www.amazon.com/Knuckler-Life.../dp/054775034X).

Anyways, he's been a heavily vocal advocate for basically what you said, that the old timey folks have to go because like it or not baseball is hemorrhaging viewers objectively. There's just too much of it, the games are just too long, and there's a bunch of common sense stuff they could do to speed up the game that would objectively be more palatable to younger viewers. It's not like pre-WW2 1930s where we can all sit around a radio for hours listening to baseball all day. Which, I get the old timey aesthetic of it, but it's just a a different world now. He was talking about it on the radio the other day and their largest demograph is people over sixty, so young people simply aren't watching it. I personally love it but realistically I don't have time to watch five or six three hour games a week.

So he had this brilliant idea that he's been very vocal about on the radio. Cut the season down by about a third, and make all games six innings. Instead of basing your record off of purely wins and losses, add a point system. You play one four game series every week. So for each game you win in the series, you get a quarter of a point. If you take 3 out of 4 games you get an additional quarter of a point for winning the majority of the series. If you sweep you get a half point additionally. So that way you get four game series that are much more meaningful. So like if you win two of the four games, you get .5 points. If you win three out of five games you get .75 points plus an addition quarter point for the majority win of the series and walk away with 1 point. If you sweep you get 1 point for all four games then .5 and walk away with 1.5 points.

I personally think it's a brilliant idea. The games would mean way more and it'd be like football, where everything you do all seasons counts much more so you're likely to be more invested.
    Last edited by Achilles; 10-30-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Stephen. Fucking. Strasburg.

This is our fucking franchise guy. All the hype. The 14K rookie debut. All the nonsense about the shutdown. All the stories about him being a head case who can only perform when it's 75 and sunny.

And here he is 5-0 in the post season this year with two absolutely dominant performances in the World Series. With his teams backs against the wall he went out there determined to do whatever it took to force a game seven. 8.1 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 R, 7 K

In an interview after we swept the NLCS he said, and I'll paraphrase here, that he felt every year the Nats made the playoffs they had truly great teams playing great but they just ran into a buzzsaw. He then added, "Maybe this year we're the buzzsaw."

Strasburg is absolutely that fucking buzzsaw.

For real, I don't want you to win the World Series. But I'm happy to see Strasburg pitch well. After all the bullshit he's been through, it's nice that he's got his moment now.

Quote Originally Posted by KBHoleN1 View Post
    For real, I don't want you to win the World Series. But I'm happy to see Strasburg pitch well. After all the bullshit he's been through, it's nice that he's got his moment now.
    i second this....let's go astros lol

Go Nats! I’m Washington all the way.
    I don’t hate the Astros even though they’re a divisional opponent because they paid their dues and did it right, and built their team with young players, something my fucked up team has never been able to do.
    I pretty much just want the Nats to win for Rendon and Strasburg, two of my favorite players.
    Also for Serge. He deserves it.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Never a doubt.

5 elimination games. Came from behind in all 5. They know no other way.

Congrats, Serge.

Come from behind wins in post season baseball are more rewarding long term memory wise, but holy shit are they stressful to watch in the moment. The most stressful sporting event I've ever watched was the 2004 ALCS when the Red Sox were down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees. They won game 4 and we were all like meh, doesn't mean shit. Then halfway through game 5 people started being like damn what is happening. It was super fun but I've never been more stressed out watching baseball games in my life because the entire second half of the series was all elimination games, and also nobody had ever been able to come back being down 3-0. I remember being at parties and nobody was sitting, everyone was just pacing around a nervous wreck.

I'm sure it was probably stressful as fuck for you to watch at times, but now the Nats have a way more epic story.

Thread Information