Page 188 of 194 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 1935

Thread: For MLB fans

Why would he? Theyre only trading him cause they dont think he'll resign.

Well the only way we could realistically "afford" to pay him what he's worth is by ducking under the luxury tax this year, so it is possible that there was some kind of verbal agreement. It would make sense for both sides - enable the Sox to pay closer to what Mookie wants, while bolstering the team and farm system in a way that wouldn't have been possible without the trade. I'm not saying there's really any chance of this happening, but it wouldn't be the craziest free agent storyline that I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    I dunno man, but you may have a better understanding of the trade market then me based on this trade.

Just a few years ago the cubs gave up Torres who was a top 5 prospect in baseball at the time for half a year of a closer. Would seem like Betts on a 1 year deal is at least worth double that to me. I understand most people feel the cubs overpaid, but there's a price to pay for winning. A lot has changed in the last few years, teams have gotten smarter at managing their money and capital, but damn.

I would have been happy to see the jays trade like this: Lourdes Gouriel (young big league talent - proven impact player) + Anthony Kay (close to bigs 45 FV prospect #4 in jays system) + Adam Kloffenstein (A ball prospect 45 FV prospect - far from majors - #10 in jays system) for Price and Betts, and I think the jays would have had the bankroll to absorb the entire Price contract.

This would have been comparable to the haul the A's made off with for Donaldson and that was seen as a huge win for the jays at the time. Factoring in what we knew about Donaldson at the time (all star - not mvp level player) + three control years, would you not agree that a year of Betts (mvp level player) + potential to get the inside track on signing him long term (young) + #3 starter - beloved veteran presence on young team - minus all the money, would you not agree that this should have garnered similar trade value (or even more because again, most people laughed the donaldson trade outta the building)

Rant over, sorry for grammar, I dont have much time these days to sort out my thoughts properly.
    Nah I feel you. But what some people don't remember was that Cubs team had no place for Gleyber to actually play [at the time] Addison Russel just came out belting out 20+ bombs at SS, Zobrist was all over the place, Javy locked down 2b, which was both of Gleybers prime positions. Cubs were in "we need to win. Now's the chance" and overpaid for Chapman. But Chapman also at the time was making 11.3 million [also half paid by Yankees because of how trading mid contract works] So in reality it was more like getting one of the best relievers in baseball for 5 million in exchange for a super prospect who was roadblocked at the time.

Flipping that to the Dodgers side though, Betts is in arbitration that was set at 27 mil. Dodgers have to pay ALL of that. Plus whatever they are taking on from the Price trade [I don't think those numbers were released yet] I just think it's a dumb trade by the Dodgers and wasn't needed. I'll lay it out like this :

Dodgers Gave up -
    5 Years of Control of Alex Verdugo and Kenta Maeda [After losing Ryu and Rich Hill to FA]
    Add Mookie Betts and David Price [For upwards of ... AT LEAST 50 million]
    A complete question mark if Mookie resigns there [And even if he did that's 300 million + Minimum]

And if they didn't do that trade
    Keep 5 years of plus value from Verdugo
    Use that 50 million to bring in 2 stop gaps [Taijuan Walker and Ervin Santana for example]
    Roll with a rotation of : Kershaw, Buehler, Walker, Santana, Urias/May/Whoever and save money and set themselves up to keep a window open.

The NL west is weak, it's been the Dodgers division to lose for a while now. Rockies didn't do crap, Neither did the Giants or DBacks. So there's no changing of parity in that division. Brewers got exposed consistently in the playoffs [unless Yelich decides to play with all sliders on rookie mode again], Cubs underperform, Cards overperform and fall flat [also lost Ozuna] like, the only team they'd need to worry about would probably be the Braves and MAYBE the Phillies.

That's a horrible way to look at it, but I understand where you're coming from. I bet these are the types of debates happening in MLB war rooms all the time. Thx for goin in depth with me gryph, hope you're doin well and getting excited for the new season.

You think my jays have a chance at bein good this year?

Also, I think the padres will surprise people this year. The dbacks and padres have incredibly good farm systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    That's a horrible way to look at it, but I understand where you're coming from. I bet these are the types of debates happening in MLB war rooms all the time. Thx for goin in depth with me gryph, hope you're doin well and getting excited for the new season.

You think my jays have a chance at bein good this year?
    Yeah, I coulda pulled a bit more in depth, but just...I don't see how you can justify losing 60% of your rotation, give up a prized prospect, get 20% of said rotation back and add 67 million in payroll for a fantastic player that you already have fantasic players in his positions. lol

I.f Ryu goes on a run like he did last year, I could see them making a lot of noise. They def won't be a rollover for the rest of the division though thats for sure and if the 97 hall of fame children on that team show up in spades, could potentially sneak in as a WC or at least make a few teams sweat.

Also our baseball league renewed this morning. So expect me to start lookin for heads in a week or two.

Yipee, ill be available. Probably won't be as heavily invested though this year lol

I really hate Dick Monfort and Jeff Bridich. I want gryph to be the rockies gm

Wouldn't you rather someone who has won the tao fantasy baseball league run the rockies?

Ya anyone else.

Thread Information