Page 14 of 194 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

So glad the Royals currently have their heads out of their asses. Such an odd team. Gotta imagine 6 straight wins, 8 straight losses, 5+ straight wins doesn't happen super often.

Ichiro is a machine. Love that guy.

I can't believe how good Michael Saunders has been for Toronto this year.

Same. But replace good with bad and the other bits with everybody in their bullpen and Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    I can't believe how good Michael Saunders has been for Toronto this year.
    Yeah he got me 20 points today in fantasy lol (for reference in the TAO league getting 200 total in a week is awesome)

3/5 3 HR 8 RBI

The Atlanta Braves have hit 29 homeruns...total.
    As a team, combined, all season.
    That's pretty fucking hard to believe.

Ichiros an all time great but I don't really blame people for their reactions to the story. It's not Ichiros fault but the stories really were trying to make it sound like he had the most hits in MLB history... Counting his Japanese hits is kinda absurd from a statistical POV. Pete Rose was a bit over the top but honestly Think he was right

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarez View Post
    Ichiros an all time great but I don't really blame people for their reactions to the story. It's not Ichiros fault but the stories really were trying to make it sound like he had the most hits in MLB history... Counting his Japanese hits is kinda absurd from a statistical POV. Pete Rose was a bit over the top but honestly Think he was right
    I disagree.

ROSE MYTH #4: Ichiro gained extra hits from playing against weaker pitching in Japan.

TRUTH: Ichiro LOST about 50 hits per year from playing in Japan’s 130-game schedule.

He averaged 227 hits in his first seven seasons with the Seattle Mariners, but only 177 hits in his first seven full seasons with the Orix Blue Wave.

Did Ichiro’s Japan batting average benefit from weaker pitching? Yes: By about 26 points.

In his first seven full seasons with Orix he batted an incredible .359, compared to .333 in his next seven with the Mariners.

However, this dip was trumped by MLB’s 162 game schedule which increased his yearly average of at-bats from 494 to 682.

Over those seven years in Japan, Ichiro lost about 1316 at-bats – enough at-bats for two major league seasons.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2674831

So looking at it from that perspective, you can discount some of the hits Ichiro amassed in Japan, but you also have to add some to his total for playing fewer games. Ichiro dominated the minute he hit MLB (227 hits per season over his first 7!!!), so it's not like you can say his performance in Japan was subpar. MLB will never recognize hits not accumulated in MLB, and I don't think anyone is saying they should. But to undermine what Ichiro did and for Rose to sit there and make the snide remarks he did (next thing they'll be counting his high school hits), it's just petty.

That's a great article by the way, and includes a lot of discussion about the exclusion of Negro leaguers and how Bonds said once that he wasn't the single season home run king, that Josh Gibson's 84 home runs in the 1936 Negro league make him the king.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    The Atlanta Braves have hit 29 homeruns...total.
    As a team, combined, all season.
    That's pretty fucking hard to believe.
    Baseball is funny. Before the 3-0 loss yesterday, the Braves held the longest win streak in the majors at 6 in a row (including a sweep @NYM). They could very well lose their next 6, but for that one week they were great.

I like the job Snitker is doing. It sucks we lost Mallex Smith to a thumb injury but I can't contain my excitement for all the talent building up in the minors.

Thread Information