Page 23 of 194 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

You're one of those guys, huh? Machado is a competitor and an entertainer. He's out there because of his talent and drive and desire to compete, but his job is to entertain. He wants to hit 4 or 5 bombs in a game. His fans want to see him do it.
    If the manager wants to sit players then pull Jones or Davis or someone not chasing a major league record or at least a personal record. If Machado pulls a hammy stretching out a double in the 8th, oh fucking well. Shit happens. You don't pull your stars every time you feel you have a comfortable lead.
    None of this should be news to you. You watch baseball. Come on.

It really doesn't matter what Machado's job is. It's not his choice. It's the manager's job to win games, that's it. If the game is already over, what's the point of keeping him in the game?

The orioles are currently in 1st place in the AL East. They have a good chance to win their division and go far in the postseason. I'm not about to jeopardize that by giving Machado a few more AB's so he can chase a record. And on top of that, it's not likely that the White Sox are going to throw him shit anyway. He's not going to get anything to hit. I'm one of those guys who looks at the big picture. I bet most Orioles fans would rather watch the Orioles win the world series than watch Machado hit another home run.

Also, if Machado did get hurt chasing a home run, you know who would get a lot of criticism? The manager. I wouldn't blame him at all for sitting Machado. He has his own job to worry about.

I understand it's the managers job to win. Good managers have relationships with their players, though, and they don't just do whatever they want whenever they want despite what their players want. That's why it's hard to define what makes a good baseball manager. It's a combination of knowledge and strategy and instinct, but it's also about managing people and people who are huge stars with huge egos and are ultra-competitive. Good managers also know it's a business and about putting butts in seats. That's what their bosses, the owners, really care about.
    Bottom line is he's not going to pull Machado out of that game, and he didn't. I know he COULD have, but he didn't, and he didn't for all the reasons I just gave you.

Easy to say now. The decision looking good or bad is completely results-based. If he would have gotten hurt people would have been screaming at him. I'm for not taking the risk at all. And notice how he didn't do anything in the 3 more AB's that he had. Probably because Chicago didn't give him anything to hit. I don't really care if Machado is mad about coming out. He'll understand that the Orioles are in a position to make a deep run in the postseason and that the manager is just trying to prevent him from getting injured.

You know what else brings fans to the stadium? Winning games and keeping your best players healthy. I bet a lot of people come to Orioles games to watch Machado play. I bet attendance would drop if Machado wasn't in the lineup.

Like I said, managers don't pull star players every time they have a comfortable lead. Of course they do sometimes. Players get scheduled rest and occasional breaks and we all know this, but in this particular situation Machado was putting on a impressive show and no manager worth a shit is going to pull him when he's 3-3 with 3 homers and 7 RBI.
    Every point you're making is a no shit point, honestly. Everyone knows a manager wants to win. Everyone knows it sucks when players get hurt. But players play. Everyone knows that, too.
    It's the other stuff that you don't seem to know that surprises me.

Yes, they are no-shit points. Which is why I'm surprised I'm having to fucking explain them to you.

You don't. You just chose to say the manager should pull Machado when he had 3 homers and 7 RBI in 4 innings because he "might get hurt". Which is fucking stupid and why he didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    If Machado pulls a hammy stretching out a double in the 8th, oh fucking well. Shit happens.
    It's easy for you to argue like this when you completely ignore key points of the argument. Shit happens? It doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter for the player who suffers a season-ending injury?

Or it doesn't matter for the manager who now might lose his job because he decided to play his star player in a game that was already over?

Or it doesn't matter for the fan who now does not get to watch his favorite player play?

Or it doesn't matter for the owner who just lost value on his best player?

Whatever, man. Fuck it.

Thread Information