Page 24 of 194 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

I explained over and over the things a manager has to consider and what a good manager should and it's not just when to go to the pen or a pinch hitter. Sometimes it's managing risks and sometimes it's taking risks, especially if your star player is doing something phenomenal and the stadium is buzzing with excitement over it and the team is fired up. Sometimes you let that shit play out even though yes, there is the risk of an injury. There is always the risk of an injury.
    In all honesty, does that make any sense to you?

I can see both sides of the argument. I just wouldn't take the risk. If either of us ever manage a major league baseball team I guess we'll have very different philosophies.

I'm generally team pro-rest during blowouts but idk how much it matters in baseball for infield/outfield players tbqh.

Not the rest. Just the risk of an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gyps View Post
    I'm generally team pro-rest during blowouts but idk how much it matters in baseball for infield/outfield players tbqh.
    But you wouldn't pull a player with 3 HRs and 7 RBI in the the first 4 innings and a real chance to set a major league record simply because of the same injury risk that's present in every single game they play every day. No coach would, not unless the player was actually hurt. I've never even heard of anyone doing that.
    But manon would. He's the coach, dammit, and he doesn't care about what the players or fans want. He decides. When a pinch hitter steps in for Machado in the 6th and the fans start to boo and the players are staring holes through the back of his head, who cares?! He's the coach! When the media asks what he was thinking, he'll just say he didn't want him to get hurt. That should settle it. Everyone will understand then.
    And when the Orioles fire manon and hire me, he'll finally understand too.

Congratulations Ichiro on 3,000 hits. Got it on a triple to deep right.
    I believe he's truly one of the greatest to ever play.

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    It's easy for you to argue like this when you completely ignore key points of the argument. Shit happens? It doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter for the player who suffers a season-ending injury?

Or it doesn't matter for the manager who now might lose his job because he decided to play his star player in a game that was already over?

Or it doesn't matter for the fan who now does not get to watch his favorite player play?

Or it doesn't matter for the owner who just lost value on his best player?

Whatever, man. Fuck it.
    Oh I thought we were done but I guess you want to continue. Players may be staring holes in the back of my head (they wouldn't because they understand context and they would be feeling good about hitting 3 home runs anyway) but at least they'd be healthy when doing it.

And you've yet to respond to anything I posted. You just continue to make "well no manager would do this", bullshit posts with no substance. See how far your go-from-the-gut approach works when you're getting death threats from fans after you injure your best player in a game that's already over. Ya I'm the one who would be getting fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Congratulations Ichiro on 3,000 hits. Got it on a triple to deep right.
    I believe he's truly one of the greatest to ever play.
    Stud. Pete Rose can sod off.

I dunno I think it's close. If he has a history or recent soreness or whatever I can see pulling them. The guy is in his early twenties though with a shot at history, I think you give him the shot. Sucks he didn't at least get the 4th. It would be awesome to be at a game that a guy just keeps peeling HRs off though. I remember going to a Giants game with Barry Bonds on the team and wondering if it would happen (to be honest I don't remember anything else about the game other than it was when the ballpark ATT was new on the water, and garlic fries across the street). I saw a Grand Slam at a Rays game though and that was exciting, I can't imagine a guy just HRing every inning to kick it off or like was George Springer did against the Royals in one inning lol.

What's incredible to me, manon, is that you're too arrogant to see that the actual manager of the Orioles didn't pull him. Again, I can't think of a single player sitting on 3 HRs who got pulled just because he "might get hurt". Never.
    Why do you think Buck Showalter left him in the game? Do you think any of the things you or I have posted in here didn't occur to him? Do you think you know better?

Thread Information