Page 25 of 194 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

If there is any manager that WOULD pull him you'd think it would be Buck too.

I already acknowledged that his manager left him in the game because I posted that he didn't do anything in his additional 3 AB's (again probably because Chicago didn't throw him anything to hit). No, I don't think I know better than the Orioles manager, but that does not necessarily mean that he was right. Again, the merit of the decision is results-based and it's easy to claim he was right after the game is over and Machado is fine. But you have to look at it at the time of the decision. There is absolutely no reason to leave him in the game at that point other than to try for individual records. I don't think individual records are more important than a player staying healthy or giving my team the best chance to win going forward. I'm not sure how that makes me arrogant.

Thumbs up

Yeah. Manon says my "no manager would do that" answer is bullshit, but the fact is no manager would without a really good reason and neither did Showalter today. I've also given a bunch of reasons WHY no manager would do it, but he ignores them.

EDIT - No other reason than personal record? Ok, at this point I'm convinced you either aren't listening or there's some other disconnect.
    Relationships with players matter. Trust and respect and friendship. Energy and feel of the team is important. The fans are important. History and records and accomplishments are important. Fun is important.
    AGAIN, there's more to being a great manager than just lefty vs righty and when to send a runner. Lots of people know the X's and O's of baseball. It's not just about that, manon.
    Last edited by Hugh; 08-07-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Yeah. Manon says my "no manager would do that" answer is bullshit, but the fact is no manager would without a really good reason and neither did Showalter today. I've also given a bunch of reasons WHY no manager would do it, but he ignores them.
    Have you consulted every other manager in baseball to make this claim? Which one of your points did I ignore? I'm addressing your points and you're ignoring mine.

The Dodgers pulled a rookie making his first start against the rival Giants when he was in the like 7th or 8th inning while he was shutting them out. His walked batter got hit in because the relief gave up a HR on the next pitch.

I dunno baseball enough to know if that's comparable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    Have you consulted every other manager in baseball to make this claim? Which one of your points did I ignore? I'm addressing your points and you're ignoring mine.
    Of course not, and that's a dumb question, and you've ignored every point I've made about why they shouldn't and didn't pull Machado in that game and continue to say the only thing that matters is that he might have gotten hurt. It's like you're a robot. So they should pull Machado when? Every time they have say a 7 run lead? 9 runs? What if they have a 5 run lead but it's the 8th inning?
    What if they have a 10 run lead but Machado is a single away from the cycle? Do you pull him then? Serious question because this shit is getting stupid.

EDIT - No other reason than personal record? Ok, at this point I'm convinced you either aren't listening or there's some other disconnect.
    Relationships with players matter. Trust and respect and friendship. Energy and feel of the team is important. The fans are important. History and records and accomplishments are important. Fun is important.
    AGAIN, there's more to being a great manager than just lefty vs righty and when to send a runner. Lots of people know the X's and O's of baseball. It's not just about that, manon.
    History and records are important, but not more important than team success. Team success trumps any individual accolade.

And personal relationships matter as well. Personal relationships are sometimes about not giving a player whatever he wants and doing what you think is best for the player and the team. The player being pulled should realize:
    1) The score is 10-1, and the game is already over.
    2) I'm probably not going to get much to hit anyway.
    3) I am a really important player and my being healthy matters.
    4) My team is in 1st place in in our division.
    5) My manager isn't trying to piss me off, he's doing what he thinks is best for the team.

Giving a player whatever he wants regardless of the consequences can be just as damaging if not moreso than pulling the player and causing him to be temporarily miffed at you. Just like you probably don't let your kids do whatever they want to, even though they may be a little mad at you for a while.

Of course not, and that's a dumb question, and you've ignored every point I've made about why they shouldn't and didn't pull Machado in that game and continue to say the only thing that matters is that he might have gotten hurt. It's like you're a robot. So they should pull Machado when? Every time they have say a 7 run lead? 9 runs? What if they have a 5 run lead but it's the 8th inning?
    What if they have a 10 run lead but Machado is a single away from the cycle? Do you pull him then? Serious question because this shit is getting stupid.
    When you feel the game is over. If I'm winning 10-2 after 7, I'm going to pull my player. Yes I would pull Machado with a 10 run lead late, even if he has a chance to hit for the cycle.

Well actually that depends on context a bit. If my team is at the bottom of the division I might consider leaving him in.

The point about "every manager would do that" IS bullshit, because you don't know what EVERY manager would do. You may think you do, but you don't.

I've watched baseball my entire life and there are things you just don't see. Like healthy players with a chance to do something historic, like hit 4 HRs or the cycle or pitch a perfect game getting pulled out. You don't ever see that, manon.
    Why the fuck do you think that is?
    Pull your head out of your ass. Even if you're really this arrogant, you can't possibly be this stupid.

Thread Information