Page 26 of 194 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Yes, you do see that, Hugh.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-times...ng-a-no-hitter

And I just gave you plenty of reasons why a manager would do that. And I gave you those reasons without relentlessly using ad-hominem.

48 instances in 100+ years of baseball and you don't even know the circumstances around any of them? Injuries or anything? Jesus I watched a combined no-hitter for the Mariners a few years back where the starter got pulled because he injured himself.
    I've made my point, and now you're making it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gyps View Post
    If there is any manager that WOULD pull him you'd think it would be Buck too.
    True, but maybe we overestimate his shittyness and underestimate his old schoolness.

In my head, I can imagine buck wanting his players to play every inning of every game because otherwise they're pussies. But at the same time, I could definitely see him bein like "oh you're goin for a record are u? Well that's a shame cause ur on the bench"

Bucks a dick and I'm not sure what he'd do most of the time. Think it's weird that orioles players seem to respect him so much.

I'd put money on Joe Maddon sitting his star in that situation for all the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    48 instances in 100+ years of baseball and you don't even know the circumstances around any of them? Injuries or anything? Jesus I watched a combined no-hitter for the Mariners a few years back where the starter got pulled because he injured himself.
    I've made my point, and now you're making it for me.
    Guarantee most of those 48 instances happened in the last 15 years. It's becoming more and more important for managers to consider the things manon is saying. The MLB is babying it's players more and more every year. Follow the trends dude lol.

You said you didn't see it ever in your lifetime. Just that alone has probably happened (I don't know how old you are) more than 34 times in your lifetime. It's happened 10 times in the last 6 years. If we factor in position players being pulled early for accolades (whether home run or rbi or cycle or whatever) it's probably over 100 times in your lifetime. So, no, you didn't make your point. I don't know what statistics you were expecting me to find to invalidate your premise, but even if I had only found 1 I would have succeeded. I found several.

Bullshit. It has not happened 34 times when a coach pulls a player on the verge of doing something historic JUST because he can. We aren't talking about pulling a player because of injury or fatigue or because of a strategy for winning the game. Those are all actual reasons.
    Pulling a guy a single from the cycle or 7 innings into a perfect game or trying to hit 4 HRs in a game simply because he MIGHT get injured is what you and I have been talking about this entire time. That's what I can't remember seeing or hearing about. If it's happened with a young pitcher on a pitch count or a history of injury, fine. Either way you know I'm right and you've just expanded it anyone who has ever been yanked in one of those situations for any reason because you won't admit it.

I think it's the other way around, mate. I'm the one providing reasoning and statistics and you're the one making generalizations. It has happened. And as Spencer pointed it out, it's happening more and more now. Obviously, it would be hard to provide statistics for position players being pulled when they could have set a single-game home run or rbi record, or hit for the cycle, because technically there is a fraction of a percentage of that happening as long as the game isn't over. But it's pretty naïve to think that that has never happened. And I don't think it's something that's worth calling me stupid or arrogant, or telling me to pull my head out of my ass over.

I feel like a coach who would do what you suggested would have to be extremely arrogant and stubborn. I feel like shutting the door on something special or even historic, despite what fans or players or anyone else wants, and not for any really good reason at all, let's be honest, is just a prick move all around. I mean you can say it's about injury risk, but these guys from Spring on play 200 games a year and could hurt themselves at any time. The real reason someone would do it, I think, is because they don't give a shit about the record and want the players to know who's boss.

No good reason at all and a prick move. Okay.

I've spent half of my Sunday giving you reasons why it would be necessary to bench a player who was having a historic day and we end up with this? That it's some ego-thing and the manager needs to feel superior?

I'm done. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Wrong sport, but Nick Foles was pulled early against the Raiders when he already had 7TDs.

Thread Information