Page 28 of 194 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

And yes it's totally gonna get worse. And more boring (depending on how u look at it).

I personally still love baseball and think it's exciting, but some of the rule changes to protect players (the second base slide thing) have REALLY upset me. There's a lot I don't like right now about baseball, but with the jays being an exciting team right now and the absolutely amazing bullpens we're seeing in today's game I'm still a fan.

Fuck the strikezone being too low, fuck the posey/utley rules, fuck challenges where the manager sits at the top of the stairs and waits for his video crew to tell him to challenge or not (would be fine if there was a time limit for this, a very short one) and fuck never seeing another 300 game winner because pitchers get babied to shit. Im pretty amazed kershaw managed to get 300ks in this environment now that I think of it lol.

Also, cue any reference of a star QB being pulled because of the score is out of reach for the opposing team.

I can't really follow all these posts, so maybe this has been pointed out a lot. But I don't think of position players in baseball being very prone to injury over the course of a few innings. Sure, things happen. But the risk of an individual game or inning over a 162 game schedule is pretty minimal. That's a lot different than a QB who only plays 16 games and is at a high risk of one play causing a serious injury. QBs don't get hit in practice because of the high risk, so limiting those hits is a high priority during games, and in a blowout you typically pull your star players (but not always). A pitcher is a different animal too, because of the wear and tear on an arm. And it's not that you get ahead by a big lead and automatically pull your pitcher, it's done because of arm fatigue or pitch count. But for a position player in baseball (not a catcher), what is the risk of injury from fielding balls or taking swings at the plate? Those are the same things they do in practice all the time, the same things they do in games all season long, the same motions they go through in offseason training.

I mean, getting hit by a pitch, one bad swing at a breaking ball or up in the zone pitch, step off wrong trying to make a play on an almost out of reach ball, etc. I rather have a 0% chance of injurying said player once.we have a safe lead than anything higher than 0% of them.being in.

Edit: Plus, Let's assume players play 5 games a week, that's 31 weeks. Think of how careful teams are with baseball players when injuries happen. The injury it's self as far as healing time, rehab stints, etc. You're almost as out as long caparably to weeks in the season of an NFL.game depending on the injury.

As a manager, who is directly responsible for the success of the team, you HAVE to play the what-if game. At least I feel like a good manager should. What if I let him play when we're up by 8 for another 6 innings and I lose him for a couple weeks, or the season? If I lose him will our offense be as feared? If they aren't feared, then the offenss will drop off because pitchers will attack the zone more. Is his non-guaranteed 4th homerun worth that? Is it worth us maybe missing the playoffs or being 1 and done? What's the benefit of leaving him in? Does this win count more than others? How many games up are we in the division? Will this raise team morale? Etc etc.

All important and fair questions. Fans should want to sin first, see special stuff later, because that's what teams should want.

You're comparing a QB playing a violent, contact sport with 11 guys trying to take his head off every play to this? Seriously?
    Machado was already halfway through a baseball game with a real shot at breaking a single season major league record. It was another 4 or 5 innings with no greater injury risk than the other 1500 innings he's going to play this year. What a terrible time to pull him out and "rest" him. Rest him some other time. Rest him ANY other time he's not having the game of his life.
    And I watched the Mariners come back from a 10 run deficit THIS YEAR and win. So the game was not over in the 4th inning yesterday despite the score. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Machado was already halfway through a baseball game with a real shot at breaking a single season major league record.
    Which does not justify putting him at risk of an injury at all.

It was another 4 or 5 innings with no greater injury risk than the other 1500 innings he's going to play this year.
    The difference being in the other 1500 innings he's going to play the games will be close enough to warrant that he plays.

What a terrible time to pull him out and "rest" him. Rest him some other time. Rest him ANY other time he's not having the game of his life.
    Why is it a terrible time? You're up huge in a game that's already over. Give him a few innings off. It seems like the best time to do it to me.

And I watched the Mariners come back from a 10 run deficit THIS YEAR and win. So the game was not over in the 4th inning yesterday despite the score. Just saying.
    Did the Mariners score all 10 runs in the 8th and 9th inning? And I don't think anybody on this forum was lobbying for him to be pulled in the 4th inning, just the last few. JUST SAYING.

You're still asking why it was a terrible time to pull him? Unbelievable. Every single thing I've said about what managers consider and do in different situations goes right over your head and you keep going back to MACHADO DID NOT STATISTICALLY NEED TO FINISH THE GAME ACCORDING TO TABULATED DATA. DOES NOT COMPUTE. REMOVE PLAYER.
    Mr. Robot.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.

You haven't even made a valid argument as to why you should leave the player in. All you've said is "Well, every other manager would do it," which:
    A) Is not something you can claim to begin with as you don't know what every other manager would do, and
    B) Does not constitute a valid argument. You're not providing a reason to leave him in, you're taking refuge in consensus. I don't care how popular your position is.

The bottom line is you think that leaving a player in to chase an individual record is more important than keeping the player healthy, so why don't you just say that? Just say "I would like to see him have a chance to break this record and I don't care if he gets injured," because that's what you're arguing for.

I've made a ton of valid arguments why he should ( and did, by the way ) leave him in. I'm not going to keep saying them just because you're not paying attention.
    Call Buck Showalter and ask him. Maybe then you'll listen.

Thread Information