Page 35 of 194 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Domo arigato...

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    And by the way he just came out of the game.
    He batted in the bottom of the freaking 8th and then was replaced for the 3 defensive outs in the top of the 9th. This doesn't prove your point, if anything it supports Hugh's, because Weiss let him get every at bat then gave him the 9th off.
    Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    Addison Russell had two home runs, too. I wonder why he came out of the game? I guess Joe Maddon isn't part of the genius club.
    Russell batted in the top of the 7th, then was replaced as part of a double switch. The Cubs collected 3 hits in the 8th and 9th, otherwise his spot wouldn't have come up again.

This is such a stupid argument. Baseball players get subbed out all the freaking time to spare them an inning or two of defensive exertion, especially in a lopsided game. Rarely have I seen a manager intentionally pull a player who is having the game of his life and cost him at-bats. It just doesn't happen.

No surprise KB understands the situation.
    He's not a robot, or an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by KBHoleN1 View Post
    He batted in the bottom of the freaking 8th and then was replaced for the 3 defensive outs in the top of the 9th. This doesn't prove your point, if anything it supports Hugh's, because Weiss let him get every at bat then gave him the 9th off.

Russell batted in the top of the 7th, then was replaced as part of a double switch. The Cubs collected 3 hits in the 8th and 9th, otherwise his spot wouldn't have come up again.

This is such a stupid argument. Baseball players get subbed out all the freaking time to spare them an inning or two of defensive exertion, especially in a lopsided game. Rarely have I seen a manager intentionally pull a player who is having the game of his life and cost him at-bats. It just doesn't happen.
    Uh, yes it does happen. It happened in this game, KB. Addison Russell had 2 home runs and he got pulled in the 7th inning. If your only argument against that is that you think it's unlikely that the Cubs were going to get on base 3 times in 2 innings either via hit or walk against a horrible Rockies BP at Coors Field to give Russell another at bat, then you should probably never give your insight into anything Rockies-related in the future. The fact that the Cubs did get 3 hits and Russell missed an at bat helps my argument, not yours.

But even if every manager in baseball decided to let a player chase records instead of trying to keep them healthy, I wouldn't care. I will defend this point against any consensus. It is dumb to risk injuring a player to chase a record that has nothing to do with the goal of the team: to win games.

@Hugh - No surprise the ad-hominem machine has nothing substantive to say.

I tried explaining it. Now I'm just fucking with you.

lol @kb whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

so sick of this dumbass argument. the argument was never (do managers do this) it was (what is the smart thing to do in these situations).

And the smart thing is to not fuck with your player, especially your best player. If there's any thought at all of pulling him in the middle of that, it's because something doesn't look right, like a suspected injury he's hiding. In that case you talk to your player and ask him how he feels. If you think he's ok you pat him on the back and tell him good job and let him finish the fucking game. You let him play and perform, and take a seat and watch like everybody else, which is mostly what managers do anyway.
    Any asshole can crunch the numbers. Managers manage players, who are people, not units on a TAO board.

Pretty insane how crap Joey Votto was early on, and how fire he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    And the smart thing is to not fuck with your player, especially your best player. If there's any thought at all of pulling him in the middle of that, it's because something doesn't look right, like a suspected injury he's hiding. In that case you talk to your player and ask him how he feels. If you think he's ok you pat him on the back and tell him good job and let him finish the fucking game. You let him play and perform, and take a seat and watch like everybody else, which is mostly what managers do anyway.
    Any asshole can crunch the numbers. Managers manage players, who are people, not units on a TAO board.
    So your assuming that players dont want to rest and let their teammates have some extra abs in preperation for the playoffs. Your assuming that all players are selfish and would be pissed if the manager rested them. Your making general and braud statements about how players feel based on your clearly very biased personal impression. Joe Maddon and Greg Popovich are widely viewed as two of the best and most respected coaches in all sports and every player on those teams has bought into whatever the coaches plan is. If bryant had 3 homers in the 4th inning of a 15-0 game and maddon was like "great job tn dude, lets give you a rest and let your boy La stella close it out" I would bet Bryant would be like "sweet, go get it lastella, 25 man team!" not "coach, your an idiot, Im gonna get more dingers. Lastella fuckin sucks"

Thread Information