Page 39 of 194 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Agree with the premise. I'm thinking the Royals should move on from Cain after his contract is up for this reason. Last year was his most healthy year and he played 140 games. Plus he will be I think 32 or 33 when this contract is up so yeah.

Big Papi has to be the MVP this year, right? Wouldn't it just be wrong not to give it to him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

The crazy thing is that he won't even get the most votes on the team. Not playing on defense really does hurt his case, and Mookies non-counting stats are definitely better.

Edit: the more I look, it really just comes down to Mookie being an infinitely better base runner while playing gold glove caliber defense. He leads the league in total bases where Papi leads in OPS, and ultimately I don't think you could call either ones season at the plate better than the other.
    Last edited by I'malive; 09-12-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Just about ready to call the Royals dead, just losing too many games to bad teams down the stretch. They at least made it fun though, especially considering the injuries (which KC had been pretty fortunate in avoiding last year). In the end maybe it's only a couple games back but I don't see them getting a wc spot as it would take something like 15-4 down the stretch to pull off and even that MAY not do it.

Mariners are back in the wild card race after winning 7 straight. I wouldn't have thought them or the Yankees would still be in the discussion 2 weeks ago.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Big Papi has to be the MVP this year, right? Wouldn't it just be wrong not to give it to him?
    No

Check your emotions at the door, Sano.
    In other words, you don't get to vote.

Check your emotions at the door, Sano.
    In other words, you don't get to vote.
    Mike Trout? You think David Ortiz deserves it over a player who has produced 9.3 WAR, and should probably already have the other past 4 MVPs if baseball writers didn't like rewarding the same player consecutively?

All I said was "no" and I get told to check my emotions lol.

It was a joke, man. I thought you were joking too.
    But the conversation won't go anywhere because I don't believe the league MVP should go to a player on a bad team. That's my opinion. You can be the best player in baseball, which Trout likely is, but the most valuable player, in my opinion, has to bring some degree of success along with stats. It's like someone saying " Without Mike Trout, the Angels would have never been able to...finish 20 games under .500 and 5th in the AL West?"
    Ortiz is leading baseball in OPS and SLG %, which is ridiculous for a 40 year old player. His numbers this year are incredible , and considering the way so many young Red Sox are hitting this year, his last year, and what he's doing, I think he's more responsible for the success of his team than any single player in baseball this season.

It was a joke, man. I thought you were joking too.
    But the conversation won't go anywhere because I don't believe the league MVP should go to a player on a bad team. That's my opinion. You can be the best player in baseball, which Trout likely is, but the most valuable player, in my opinion, has to bring some degree of success along with stats. It's like someone saying " Without Mike Trout, the Angels would have never been able to...finish 20 games under .500 and 5th in the AL West?"
    Ortiz is leading baseball in OPS and SLG %, which is ridiculous for a 40 year old player. His numbers this year are incredible , and considering the way so many young Red Sox are hitting this year, his last year, and what he's doing, I think he's more responsible for the success of his team than any single player in baseball this season.
    To say the hitting the youth is doing is because of Ortiz is kinda silly. He's not the hitting coach. He's not involved with how well a rookie hits. He might give tips here or there but Betts's success and other player's on that team's offensive success is their own doing.

Ortiz doesn't bring anything to the table but a bat. To not give a player MVP just because the rest of the team is under performing is silly and and an old school mentally that has no place in today's game or in any sport. Value is the most opinionated word to being with and the award should simply be renamed to "Most Popular Player That Played Well". If it was the MPPTPW award then yeah give it to Ortiz. WAR is as exact as we are going to get as fans with measurable value. Why should any player who puts up astromincal numbers every year get punished because the rest of his team blows massive cocks? In the same instance, Ortiz's value isn't a huge impact to his team and you can point to other players on that team that have done just as much and more than him offensively. He's basically on average if not a little better offensively in the grand scheme of things with the rest of the Red Sox offense. So how is he bringing the most value?

Thread Information