Page 40 of 194 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

What's more impressive to me is players that have to play the field and bat and are only .020 behind Ortiz in alugging. The AL MVP belongs to either Trout or Altuve.

They should just change it to the Best Player Award and give it Mike Trout ever year then. Actually they should just call it the Mike Trout Award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

In Mariners news: 8 str8 m8! That's gr8! They almost control their f8!
    Don't h8.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gyps View Post
    Just about ready to call the Royals dead, just losing too many games to bad teams down the stretch. They at least made it fun though, especially considering the injuries (which KC had been pretty fortunate in avoiding last year). In the end maybe it's only a couple games back but I don't see them getting a wc spot as it would take something like 15-4 down the stretch to pull off and even that MAY not do it.
    Aaaaand not even going to approach that now. I'm performing last rites. Fun team, tough season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    They should just change it to the Best Player Award and give it Mike Trout ever year then. Actually they should just call it the Mike Trout Award.
    TIL the best player in baseball doesn't bring the most value.

Well no, because there are several players bringing more value to their teams this season, because of what their teams are accomplishing and how important they are to that. As important as Trout is to the Angels, they're still in last place and obviously would also be in last place without him. It's not a difficult concept.
    It's why Griffey only won one MVP all those years in Seattle. I thought he was the best player in baseball most years, but he only won it in 97 when we won 90 games and went to the ALCS. He carried the team that year and they wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.
    It's not the Best Player Award. Never has been.

It started changing the year they gave King Felix the Cy Young when he went, what? 12-10 that year?

Cy Young is for the best pitcher in baseball, which he was that year. Nothing changed at all. A pitcher can win the MVP. Verlander, Kershaw. They won it the years they were the main reason for their teams success. The years they were the MVPs.
    Again, not a difficult concept.
    Gold Gloves go to players who play the best defense. Silver Sluggers are the best offensive players at their position. Batting titles, home run titles, triple crowns, all awards for the specific things.
    The MVP is for the player who is most important or valuable to his team in that season.
    Just look at the history of winners and the teams they were on.

Yeah, my point being though is that even if he was the best pitcher that year, it would of gone to someone else because the BBWA valued a useless stat like Wins for a pitcher back in the later 90's early 00's (See, Bartolo Colon [Angels] over Johan Santana [Twins]). Like Sano said, it's most valuable player, not most valuable on a good team.

Sano or whoever can want the award to be something other than what it is, but what it is is clear and I believe right.

Thread Information