Page 62 of 194 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

I know you asked gryph, but I also wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I think washington overall is either awful to slightly below average defensively. Harper is about as average as they come defensively in right field, Eaton Is a below average cfer but an elite RF like Heyward on the cubs. However, If you take werth out of the lineup, play taylor in centre, move harper to left and Eaton to RF, you would be well above average defensively in the outfield, but you have dusty baker managing so that isn't happening... also taylor has a hard time hitting the ball lol.

Infield might be an unsolvable problem though. At 1st, Zimmerman is below average for sure as a converted 3rd basemen with a long list of injuries. At 2nd base Daniel Murphy is known to be one of the worst in the league. At ss, Turner is debatable. He is not known for his defense at the position and advanced metrics didn't like him last year, but a lot of scouts think he can stick at ss. And finally, Rendon is probably you're only saving grace defensively if he stays healthy. Rendon is not necessarily known for his defense, but advanced metrics liked him last year at 3b, it's his natural position (I think) and last year was the first time he's had a really healthy year.

As for wieters, he's pretty average, but he isn't the best pitch framer.

Overall, you're definitely bottom ten defensively, with potential to be top 15 if taylor replaces Werth. Luckily that nats pitching staff is so good, and the bats are really really good if Harper can get back to being a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
    Wieters is average defensively as a catcher. The Nats got him for his bat at the catching position though in my eyes since the market is so small for good hitting catchers. He's also not that bad of a framer iirc. He'll be a 15-20 HR guy for the Nats and that's what they needed. Adam Eaton is average defensively as well. Same situation for him though is that he's on the team because of his bat. Front office philosophy for the Nats is probably "we have a great rotation, won't need the defense as much as other teams so lets get bats at value prices."

just my 2 cents

Wieters is average for arm and base running related reasons but I'm pretty sure he's a negative for pitch framing.

If you want to watch the Nats defense go ugly, I didn't see a ton of it but I know Roark started three consecutive innings with a lead-off infield error.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarez View Post
    Wieters is average for arm and base running related reasons but I'm pretty sure he's a negative for pitch framing.

If you want to watch the Nats defense go ugly, I didn't see a ton of it but I know Roark started three consecutive innings with a lead-off infield error.
    It's because Wieters can't catch breaking balls or two seamers, he'll stab catch them. Maldonado and Ramos did that for a while to. As for the older post (sorry was working) i say the Mariners defense is bad at times cause I watch some of their games when I get the chance like I do all teams, the problem with them is I notice they are slightly out of position at times and their OF tends to wander a little in random directions, which tends to screw with Range Factors and Catching%. Jarrod Dyson does that a lot, it's not entirely their fault though, that falls on the manager and scouting department, once April ends we'll be able to see if they fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
    It's because Wieters can't catch breaking balls or two seamers, he'll stab catch them. Maldonado and Ramos did that for a while to. As for the older post (sorry was working) i say the Mariners defense is bad at times cause I watch some of their games when I get the chance like I do all teams, the problem with them is I notice they are slightly out of position at times and their OF tends to wander a little in random directions, which tends to screw with Range Factors and Catching%. Jarrod Dyson does that a lot, it's not entirely their fault though, that falls on the manager and scouting department, once April ends we'll be able to see if they fix the problem.
    Yeah I think the thing tho with the Mariners is that right now they have three guys who can probably play CF right now in that OF.

I think defensive metrics are eventually going to find that LF and RF are different beasts then CF and not all elite CFers can play the corners at the same elite level. Having 3 CFers isn't what it's hyped up to be really imo.

The Mariners outfield has been subpar defensively for a while. They tried to address it this season by adding Dyson and Haniger, but we'll see. Haniger should definitely be an upgrade in right over we've had since Ichiro left, but he's pretty raw. The other day he literally lost the game by dropping a ball with the bases loaded. He was on the run but it bounced right out of his glove. It was a pretty routine play that cleared the bases. And Gryph is right about Dyson. They say he's out of position a lot but makes up for it with speed.
    But the Mariners are 3-8 because of bullpen struggles and inability to hit with runners in scoring position. That's been the story early, but it's still early.
    I was just hoping I wouldn't be saying "it's still early" this early.

"Unbelievably classy move here by Greg Bird paying tribute to Jackie Robinson with his batting average. h/t @McCartyConnor"

lol'd he's my 1B in fantasy and it's been tough so far

He'll come around. He needs to take a lessen from this years chase headley. If they throw outside, go outside, throw inside, move dem hips. He looks like he's up there pressing trying to pull one to the short porch to get himself started. It's weird, i don't know where this little hand hitch thing he's been doing has come from, but hopefully someone notices it and fixes it, cause he didn't have that last year. Last thing I want is Heyward 2.0 with the whole batting crap.

braves. ijs. 2-3 more years and we'll be playoff bound

Hard to say, if probably give it 3-5.

I think the jays should tank this year. If we can get good value for Bautista and Martin at the deadline, this could be a quick turnaround for the franchise. Really confident with some of our low minors prospects, vlad Jr and bo bichette appear to be superstars in the making.

Thread Information