Page 64 of 194 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    This shit with Eric Thames is pretty funny. I remember him in Seattle 5 years ago, the last time he played in the majors. Looked like a textbook career minor leaguer. A softball player. It's incredible to come back after 5 years and do this, even if it's just a hot start and he turns back into a pumpkin in May.
    I think he will soon honestly. I mean, the dude couldn't hit offspeed, went to Japan, learned how to do it there and returned. The problem is he's absolutely MASHING inside pitches / high / low middle, and is pretty ineffective on pitches low and away so far this season (i think his contact rate on low and away is like under .100 and he's chasing them to), so it's only a matter of time until the memo is out and they start pitching him low/away.

It's either one of two scenarios :

A - He starts crowding the plate ala Rizzo and changes his stride and continues mashing
    B - He start getting pitched around if no one is on base or 2 outs, his OBP will climb, but his avg will dip cause he'll see junk city until he can learn to hit it

Pitchers have been trying to pitch around him already actually. I'm believing the hype man. Dude has a great approach and big-time power.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Pitchers have been trying to pitch around him already actually. I'm believing the hype man. Dude has a great approach and big-time power.
    I believe it to. But he has a legit weakness low/away, he can still drive it from there, but not as effective as what the Reds "Just keep jamming him" approach seems to be lol

Lol true the home run pace is obviously unsustainable. What u think he finishes with avg/obp wise and homer wise if u had to guess?

I think 260/350 with 30 bombs by the end of the season is his floor at this point honestly.

I saw Trea Turner for the Nats hit for the cycle. That's awesome. For some reason that's always been one of my favorite things in baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

the cycle is a great feat, probably one of my favorites too other than seeing guys stuff the stat sheet with something like 4/4, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 2 SB or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Lol true the home run pace is obviously unsustainable. What u think he finishes with avg/obp wise and homer wise if u had to guess?

I think 260/350 with 30 bombs by the end of the season is his floor at this point honestly.
    If he adjusts to low and away and can drive it, I'd say .280-.300 / 40 HR / .330-.360 OBP

If he can't, probably .260-.270 / 25-30HR / .300-.310

Read an article on ESPN about Heyward's good start to the year. He said that he traced a lot of his struggles at the plate back to being a leadoff hitter in Atlanta. He said he wasn't used to being a leadoff hitter, and going up there first made him more passive, trying to work the count and see pitches and get on base, and he lost his aggressive, middle-of-the-order-hitter mindset that he brought into the bigs. Here's hoping he has his groove back and mashes it all season long. And fuck Fredi Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by KBHoleN1 View Post
    Read an article on ESPN about Heyward's good start to the year. He said that he traced a lot of his struggles at the plate back to being a leadoff hitter in Atlanta. He said he wasn't used to being a leadoff hitter, and going up there first made him more passive, trying to work the count and see pitches and get on base, and he lost his aggressive, middle-of-the-order-hitter mindset that he brought into the bigs. Here's hoping he has his groove back and mashes it all season long. And fuck Fredi Gonzalez.
    His problem wasn't a leadoff hitter at all, it was this :

2012 : https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/Tende...fricanelephant (Firm and balanced)

2016 : https://gfycat.com/ifr/InsistentFlawlessJellyfish (Brings hands down, then back up creating more motion and a longer swingtime)

Get rid of that extra motion, I don't know where, when, why, and how it came about, but it pretty much ruined him for about 3 years. I kinda find it horseshit Heyward would attribute his crappy mechanics to batting leadoff in Atlanta. Instead of simply saying "Yeah, I had a hitch and was getting massacred on inside pitches. I think its time I stop moving the bat away and back before starting a swing"

Same thing happened with Brett Lawrie. Stupid hand motion lol.

Thread Information