Page 70 of 194 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Lol ya I dunno. Just play through the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Lol ya I dunno. Just play through the pain.
    lolwut?

Pitching is an act of extreme and violent athleticism. But it is also one of extraordinary finesse, especially at the point where the baseball departs from the hand. In order to pitch effectively, you need to be able to release the ball off your fingertips in a specific place, and with a specific amount of pressure, over and over again. When you have a blister, you can't.

"Have you ever had a blister on your foot, and you don't have a Band-Aid, and you're walking, and suddenly inadvertently you're limping because of it?" said Leiter. "You just can't help it. It's impossible to throw a ball if you have a blister. It hurts, it's sore, it's coming off your finger, it starts to bleed."
    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-little-injury

I love it when ordinary people wonder why super star athletes do what they do.

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

4 of the Mariners 5 starting pitchers are on the DL already. We've got a minor leaguer taking the mound every night
    A combination of playing bad teams and suddenly scoring 10 runs a night has allowed them to crawl back to .500, which has been fun to watch, but it sucks that the offense is finally clicking and we have some excitement young talent and no fucking rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Like I said, I'd love to see the blister lol. I used to pitch guys (still do in a men's fastball league every summer) and I've had a blister exactly where they're talking about many times. I used to throw the ball in the low 80s though and I didn't have a curve worth throwing. Still, its hard for me to understand the massive difference between me pitching with a blister at 80mph and an mlb pitcher when I know how easy it was to pitch through the pain (for me). If it's the same kind of blister as the shitty ones I've had on the foot sure, but I haven't seen rich hills finger and I've literally had that injury and pitched at a pretty high level.

I think the MLB is a tad higher of a level than your summer league pitching dude.

Just a tad

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

I dunno man

you ever played in a Canadian summer rec league? pretty intense

Canadian *men's summer rec league

sorry, spencer

crucial detail

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Like I said, I'd love to see the blister lol. I used to pitch guys (still do in a men's fastball league every summer) and I've had a blister exactly where they're talking about many times. I used to throw the ball in the low 80s though and I didn't have a curve worth throwing. Still, its hard for me to understand the massive difference between me pitching with a blister at 80mph and an mlb pitcher when I know how easy it was to pitch through the pain (for me). If it's the same kind of blister as the shitty ones I've had on the foot sure, but I haven't seen rich hills finger and I've literally had that injury and pitched at a pretty high level.
    Curves are different, you're essentially grinding it across the seams when you throw it. I had a Fb/Splitter/Sinker combo in HS, I was a catcher Freshman year and we lost a lot of guys to injury and asked if I could pitch (used to in little league) so I just kinda went with it and he asked if I wanted to do it regularly the following year cause he liked what he saw (One love, Coach Sicco), but after about a month I started incorporating a screwball because I needed something down or arm side run more than the splitter, I took the Mike Norris approach (it's held with a circle change up grip, and you release it similar to how you turn a doorknob. Hold your hand with the OK hand gesture, and then turn it at a 45 degree angle, that's how I released it) and it absolutely MURDERED the top inside joint of my middle finger.

I can see where Hill is coming from, but I honestly just think he has baby hands at this point. If he's thrown 690 in 2 years and still doesn't have a callus, then his skin is either super soft and made of vagina, or he keeps changing the pressure point on his finger.

Thread Information