Page 80 of 194 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast

Thread: For MLB fans

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Oh just realised I can write in conforto. Done. Over Hamilton.
    Hamilton has had an amazing start to the season though

Ya Hamilton's been awesome. If I was starting a team, he might be in my top 10 position players. There's still some upside in his bat imo.

Aaron Judge is a god damn fucking beast. Dude might just hit 45+ homers this season.

Pineda looks injured atm

The Giants rookie Blanch (sp?) just had a complete game shut out which is pretty cool

Alright im bored. Just wanted to post some of my perhaps controversial opinions about some things in the game today.

1. Bunting

More or less a dead art. In the age of big data, people started realising that the bunting strategy was being massively overused by dumbass managers (like Tony la russa). Over the years we have seen players bunt less and less because it is a situational strategy that usually ends in a net negative outcome. I told veil if I ever coached a team of little leaguers, I would tell them that bunting is horse shit and they should learn how to hit doubles and homers if they wanna make it to the big leagues and he told me that I was stupid because I'd need to teach them baseball fundamentals. Baseball fundamentals = do not bunt... In my books .

2. Shifting

Much like bunting, shifting has become a situational strategy in baseball. Unlike bunting, we are seeing more and more defensive shifts because it tends to end in a net positive outcome. Analytics and statistical scouting reports have lead big league pitchers and defenders to study and develop a general gameplan for each individual player and shifting has become popularized because it works. Beating a shift is not as simple as simply hitting the ball the other way as much as some traditionalist will have you believe.

3. Managers

My opinion about baseball managers is that they are more or less useless and the best mlb managers are more hands off then others. Guys like Tony la Russa and old school managers like that who are all heralded for their chess like baseball strategies are most likely overrated, paranoid and delusional (I hate them). In game managing is a very basic art that anyone could do well. In game coaching (pitching coach walking out to the mound is to stall for the bullpen) is not a real thing. Motivational coach speeches aren't a real thing.

4. Saves

The save stat should be removed from the game of baseball. It's almost as bad an indicator of pitcher talent as wins and quality starts. The best relief pitchers in the game do not necessarily have a lot of saves and it would be irresponsible to judge a "closer" on how many saves he has and how few blown saves he has. Fernando Rodney is absolute trash and shouldn't be in the mlb.

Please feel free to laugh at my stupidity guys, or if you feel I might be right about some of these things let me know.

Dude I never said shifting was useless I just said the time it takes for a position player to move from that location
    To field the ball or to the bag it's too much. Can cause errors or let a ball go into play which can be fieled. Every ms counts when the ball is in play.

Give them that exact scenario you typed out on facebook about a specific with quality start and his stats.

Inning by inning.

Managers like Bruce Bochy aren't gonna sit on the bench and watch that happen.

That's not why they get paid to do.

They get paid to throw signs to first base coach etc. For guys on first to take a lead to ensure the 1b stays near the bag for man a first 0 out. Sometimes a pretty big one if they can slide back to bag good during an attempt pick off. And 2nd batter to hit accordingly given different counts like sometimes they take a ball or a strike for the steal of the lead off from first to second. Some times they can bunt for a ball in play. Have you not seen some guys in majors they can lay down a perfect in play bunt. 3rd hitter are paid to hit and a good one can adjust they don't have to pull necessary to give in to the shift but like a slap away. To get a sure single instead of swinging for fences with man on 1st and 3rd 0 out man on corners.
    Last edited by Veilmenacex; 06-03-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Naw they get paid to put together a lineup card and make the in game decisions in regards to player substitutions. As stated in my paragraph, in game managing such as throwing a signal to first base to steal or throw down a bunt or take a bigger lead off is pretty much obsolete in the mlb today and for good reason.

Mlb players don't need some nitpicky disrupting manager with a superiority complex who manages based on hunches, they need pre game preparation from coaches, scouting reports and gameplans based on specific player matchups and they need to execute those gameplans.

I agree with all of that, Spencer, especially what you wrote about managers. You nailed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Thread Information