Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Fight Club

I liked Cro Cop too but he made his UFC debut in 2007. He was only 32 years old. I always wondered why he didn’t have more success in the Octagon. I don’t think he ever got comfortable in the UFC. He always looked out of place and tentative, completely different from the guy who dominated the PRIDE Absolute tournament the year before. He was unstoppable. Just walked people down and kicked their heads off.
    UFC and PRIDE were different though. Significantly. Different rules and regulations, in and out of the ring. Or cage. Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    seeing a dick go in and out of a vagina doesn't excite me..

Pride catered way more to strikers whereas modern UFC cateres way more to wrestlers. I've fought in rings, circular cages, square cages, and octagon cages.

The thing with fighting in a ring is there's no way for a wrestler to grind you up against something. In a cage they have something they can just muscle you into to do their thing. The opposite is true with a square ring, because a striker can take the center of the ring and push you into corners. I'm much more of a kick boxer, for context. I can wrestle but not nearly as good as I can go toe to toe with someone.

Cro Cop too, despite being only a few years older than I am now, was a pretty tired man by that point. He'd lived a long life for someone that young. He had a famous quote saying he was thinking more about fishing than he was fighting. He went through some crazy shit with the fall of the Soviet Union too in terms of war. He was like ex-special forces and went through the downfall of the reds. So he was older than his age to be honest.

The problem with Pride was people with kick boxing backgrounds could school you if they played the rules right. The UFC is the opposite. If you can wrestle and use the three point rule (Randy Couture famously did this in Tim Sylvia fight when he came out of retirement. He put one hand on the ground with both legs planted and because he had three points on the ground Tim Sylvia couldn't knee his face into oblivion because of it. In a real fight Sylvia would have rearranged his face), you can navigate the rules in the UFC in a really unfair way.

There's obviously no way to do it correctly. People would start dying. I'd say a square cage would be the best way to even it out between strikers and mat rats though.
    Тахиатай ч үүр цайна, тахиагүй ч үүр цайна

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    It's looking like I'm stepping back in a ring soon. It's been two years since I've fought competitively. I'm dreading cutting weight though. I'm a flyweight so I have to cut from about 133-ish to 125.
    Let me know if you need any help cutting weight. 8 pounds is very easy, even at 133 pounds. Assuming you have a day to recover, there should be zero impact on your performance.

I've done it a bunch of times but thank you. I lose weight super easily. I actually struggle to keep weight on, I have the most inhuman metabolism on the face of the Earth. I could like inject butter directly into my veins and I would lose ten pounds. It's not hard to do, I just hate being super dehydrated.

I'm going to go flyweight this time but I'm honestly considering fighting up, which I've done plenty of times. I hate fighting guys my size, it's fucking exhausting. I'd rather fight someone with fifty pounds on me than another spring loaded 135 pound guy whose bouncing off the walls and going a million miles a minute. I don't have a ton of knockout power but I can outlast just about everyone I spar with and exhaust them. I can pull off some pretty freaky submissions too because I'm so small and wiry, I probably gogoplata people more than anyone should be able to with how flexible I am. My fight nick name was always monkey legs because I'm a bastard to hold down because I can bend such weird ways. I'm not even that good of a grappler either, I can just do weird shit because I can like put my legs behind my head and stuff so rather than being a great Jits guy I'm just preposterously annoying to force into anything on the ground.

The heaviest I could realistically fight is featherweight though. And I wouldn't even come in at 145, I'd be well under it. The heaviest I've ever been was 140 and that was with intense weight lifting and dieting. I don't mind being lighter though, I fought open weight for most of my career and would fight guys as big as 250. That's kind of my bread and butter actually. Eventually you get sick of getting your head caved in and accept that you're small and learn how to fight small, which is honestly a really interesting thing if you get into the technical fighting details about what it's like being someone my size fighting big dudes.
    Last edited by Achilles; 07-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.

What open-weight events are you referring to?

I fought as far back as when MMA was very loosely regulated and it was sort of a grey area in my state. So I could fight openweight if I wanted to. I caught the tail end of it before the boxing commission started really getting heavily involved with it. And this wasn't MMA in a cage, it was still just in a ring. I've fought since then but it's been much more strict since the old days. Like I said, I need to fight between flyweight and featherweight now. Some of the shit they used to get away with in terms of classes is insane in retrospect. I could make featherweight for sure but I'd certainly come in very light.

Interesting. I was going to mention "excluding the dark ages" in parenthesis, but I figured you weren't old enough to be fighting around that time. It sounds like this is more of a special occasion for you (regardless of your past), but it would be foolish to disregard weight advantages/disadvantages if you are competing against quality competition (i.e. any high-level wrestler with a well-rounded skillset). Dehydration sucks, but there's almost no reason not to do it with only a minor cut and a day to recover. You can obviously win either way, I just think it would be in your best interests since it's a small cut and you're admittedly not the strongest grappler.

I admittedly actually think weight cutting is fucking stupid. I 100% agree with your points, but if you think about it, it's the most pointless thing ever. Realistically what they should do is make you weigh in three or so hours before the fight so that everyone just comes in walking weight. I certainly understand the logic behind it, you cut weight to gain a weight advantage. The aforementioned pointless aspect of it though is everyone does it, so there's inherently no reason to do it. Make it so you weigh in the day of the fight so if you cut a ton of weight you're gassed and pay for it. I'd argue the fights would be better too.

That said, I will be cutting this time. I can realistically fight across three or so weight classes. 125, 135, and 145. One I cut, the other I do nothing, the other I bulk a little. I do hate fighting down at 125 though. I don't know your background but fighting little shits like me is so tiring. I'd rather have some monstrosity of a dude lumbering away at me all day. You're right in that grappling big dudes sucks; I can grapple very well but I'm not a world beater with it. But I'm not a slouch either.

And it's not really a special event. I'm 29 and I've been fighting since I was 3. I just haven't competed in two years. I've still been banging around regularly full contact the whole time though. It ought to be fun though. I broke my damn hand my last fight though which certainly worries me a bit.

And as far as the dark ages stuff goes, yeah, like I said I caught the tail end of it. If you go straight kick boxing though instead of MMA you can still find open weight fighting. Though open weight is a relative term, it's mostly gigantic dudes.

Thread Information