Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Club

What open-weight events are you referring to?

I fought as far back as when MMA was very loosely regulated and it was sort of a grey area in my state. So I could fight openweight if I wanted to. I caught the tail end of it before the boxing commission started really getting heavily involved with it. And this wasn't MMA in a cage, it was still just in a ring. I've fought since then but it's been much more strict since the old days. Like I said, I need to fight between flyweight and featherweight now. Some of the shit they used to get away with in terms of classes is insane in retrospect. I could make featherweight for sure but I'd certainly come in very light.

Interesting. I was going to mention "excluding the dark ages" in parenthesis, but I figured you weren't old enough to be fighting around that time. It sounds like this is more of a special occasion for you (regardless of your past), but it would be foolish to disregard weight advantages/disadvantages if you are competing against quality competition (i.e. any high-level wrestler with a well-rounded skillset). Dehydration sucks, but there's almost no reason not to do it with only a minor cut and a day to recover. You can obviously win either way, I just think it would be in your best interests since it's a small cut and you're admittedly not the strongest grappler.

I admittedly actually think weight cutting is fucking stupid. I 100% agree with your points, but if you think about it, it's the most pointless thing ever. Realistically what they should do is make you weigh in three or so hours before the fight so that everyone just comes in walking weight. I certainly understand the logic behind it, you cut weight to gain a weight advantage. The aforementioned pointless aspect of it though is everyone does it, so there's inherently no reason to do it. Make it so you weigh in the day of the fight so if you cut a ton of weight you're gassed and pay for it. I'd argue the fights would be better too.

That said, I will be cutting this time. I can realistically fight across three or so weight classes. 125, 135, and 145. One I cut, the other I do nothing, the other I bulk a little. I do hate fighting down at 125 though. I don't know your background but fighting little shits like me is so tiring. I'd rather have some monstrosity of a dude lumbering away at me all day. You're right in that grappling big dudes sucks; I can grapple very well but I'm not a world beater with it. But I'm not a slouch either.

And it's not really a special event. I'm 29 and I've been fighting since I was 3. I just haven't competed in two years. I've still been banging around regularly full contact the whole time though. It ought to be fun though. I broke my damn hand my last fight though which certainly worries me a bit.

And as far as the dark ages stuff goes, yeah, like I said I caught the tail end of it. If you go straight kick boxing though instead of MMA you can still find open weight fighting. Though open weight is a relative term, it's mostly gigantic dudes.

What a UFC card tonight. I was on the edge of my seat for both main events. Cejudo finally dethroned Mighty Mouse, something I was starting to think I’d never see. He had such a brilliant game plan and executed it perfectly, then he called out the 135 lb champ, whoever it was at the end of the night. Huge balls.
    Turns out it’s still TJ. I thought it was No Love’s night but he was way too emotional and went in head first. TJ had Cody beat the minute the bell rang. Impressive. I’m glad. Cody is a great fighter but he’s just an immature douchebag and it got him knocked out again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Greg Hardy is an interesting fighter. He won Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender tournament easily, knocking out both opponents in the first minute of the first round. He had 3 amateur fights before that and won them all the same way. KO, first minute of the first round.
    He’s really fast. For 6’5” and 265 lbs he’s really fucking fast. I’ve watched a lot of heavyweights in the Octagon and he moves and throws punches as fast as anyone I can recall at that size. Maybe faster. And his power is legit. He throws bombs.
    He might get crushed in the UFC but he’s huge, powerful, fast, insanely athletic and, let’s face it, a mean motherfucker. And he’s only 30, which isn’t old for a heavyweight. Shit Cormier and Lesnar will be fighting for the belt soon and they’re both 40.
    I think Hardy is going to make some noise.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

He reminds me of Arlovski when he was in his prime. Arlovski was awesome to watch when he was younger, he was a huge guy but he was so insanely athletic. He used to move like a middle weight but he'd absolutely crush people. It was all down hill for him after Fedor knocked him out, which was his own damn fault. He was actually pretty handily besting Fedor and if he just stuck to that game plan I think he would have beaten him. But then he decided to try to pull off a crazy flying knee super early in the fight and left himself wide open and Fedor dropped him. He was doing just fine kick boxing with him.

Yes Arlovski is a good comparison. No idea what kind of chin Hardy has yet but that was The Pitbull’s weakness for sure.
    Last edited by Hugh; 08-31-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Yeah, if Tim Sylvia knocks you out, you have a problem. I hated that damn guy. He hijacked the heavyweight division for like a year and just used his reach to coast to decisions. He's inarguably the most boring MMA fighter of all time. When Randy Couture came out of retirement and beat the ever living fuck out of him was possibly my favorite fight of all time. Hell, I would happily fight Tim Sylvia and I'd bet on me to win. That guy was a joke who just happened to have very long arms and could outreach people. He wasn't a fighter, he just perfected using the rules to his advantage. He had no knockout power at all, no speed, can't roll. He temporarily ruined the heavyweight division. Thank god Couture kicked his ass into retirement.

Sylvia derailed two awesome fighters too. Jeff Monson and Brandon Vera were both amazing up and coming fighters, and Sylvia just jabbed for five rounds and basically ruined their careers. He didn't fight to win, he fought not to lose. I loved Monson and he should have amounted to a lot more, but in his title fight Sylvia basically just jabbed him for 25 minutes.

Arlovski definitely suffered from a weak chin though, you're right about that for sure. He was able to hide it for years because he was so talented.
    Last edited by Achilles; 08-31-2018 at 05:29 PM.

That fight was incredible but the decision was absolutely wrong

Thread Information