Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Club

EDIT- Sorry. Misread.
    I’d like to see McGregor/Ferguson for sure.
    I think Khabib would destroy GSP. I’d like to see GSP fight Kevin Lee though. I think Lee would destroy him too but I think it would be a more interesting match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

I think GSP is a better match up for Khabib than Connor was. The guy isn't invincible, he's gonna get smashed, soon

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

Nate Diaz is a joke, btw.

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree Ach. I really like Connor's striking, that's just me. I do agree that his style has gotten him beat twice, but it's also gotten him a couple of belts and I just enjoy it. I see the confidence he has in picking his shots etc. But, i like Ferguson better, i'm starting to REALLY like Ferguson tbh. I would love to fight like him.

And Hugh sorry buddy I misread you. I know you know what you're talking about though FWIW

I would love to see this card:

Khabib vs GSP for title
    McGregor vs Ferguson

winners fight

then round out the card with a couple of huge heavyweights, a women's bout and someone else.
    Sorry, I only just saw this now.

I'm not saying McGregor is a bad fighter. McGregor is a great fighter. I'm just saying I'm at almost twenty eight years of kick boxing and I can offer some worth while insight. I'll try to quantify it better as someone who, and I'm not bragging here, easily has more time in a ring than most UFC fighters. I'm not saying I'm better than any particular UFC fighter, not at all. I'm not. But I've been doing it way longer than most of these guys, I've taught it professionally for years, so I'm just politely trying to give some perspective from someone with a ton of experience.

McGregor is not a good technical kick boxer. I know this because I've been fighting some of the best technical kick boxers in the world for years. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's far from great. However, me saying he's not a great kick boxer does not mean he's not a good fighter. Those two things aren't the same.

McGregor can scrap, and he's intimidating because he can take a beating. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing either - that's how I fight. I had this one dude I fought more times than I can fucking count, and he was a way better kick boxer than me. In every sense. He was more technical, more efficient, he in a biomechanical sense executed his strikes so well that he got the absolute highest output of power out of them. He was a better kick boxer, plain and simple. If you put him and I (him and I are good friends just to note), next to each other hitting mitts, and had one hundred kick boxing instructors watch us, 100 out of 100 of them would say he had a much more fundamental understanding of the inherent biomechanical framework of kick boxing. I have absolutely no problem admitting he's a better kick boxer than me.

However, he never beat me once.

The thing about fighting, is you have to remember... it's a fight. And there are some dudes - a lot of dudes - who totally fold despite how good they are when they have someone get in their face and throw down. This is actually the downfall of a lot of kick boxers in street fights. They can do crazy shit all day hitting mitts and bags, but when someone throws down and scraps with them and they're in a fight, they fall apart. The best thing you can do, in my opinion, if you want to be a successful fighter, is kick box with people that have no problem beating the ever living fuck out of you. Because you can go toe to toe with other super technical kick boxers that are playing the game, trying to read you and counter you, pick up on everything you're telegraphing, but when you have another kick boxer who is a really good kick boxer, who might not be as good as you but is still really good, but he's willy to just jump right into it with you and swallow some teeth in the process, you have a problem. And this obviously doesn't apply for everyone. Like an Anderson Silva level kick boxer is just so good it doesn't matter how much I want to scrap with him he's just going to out class me.

So with this dude I mentioned, despite how much better he was, I'd just get in his face every time we fought and it'd always end with him getting so disheartened that within a minute or two I was beating the ever living fuck out of him like it was a hockey fight. A lot of super technical kick boxers get into the (bad) habit of way too much so treating fighting like chess with people they fight that approach it the same way. Then they face someone like me who they punch in the face and I spit, kick them in the liver, and start donkey konging their head, pick them up and slam them on the ground, and tenderize them like meat. And they don't know how to deal with that level of aggression because of the way it's taught is like a board game and they don't expect someone to turn it into a back alley brawl. And they crumble when you do.

I live in the worst neighborhood in Boston and have gotten into tons of fights, and I'm also extremely small. I have a target on my chest because I look easy to pick on. I'm 5'9 and 120 pounds. Dudes think they're going to wreck me if I'm out at bars (not recently, but it's happened a lot). Most guys, if they try to hit you and you don't stop, and then you just come at them like a freight train, are going to absolutely fold. I'm not saying swing like an idiot, I'm a damn good kick boxer. But when people hit you and you don't stop, as long as you're smart enough and don't let them catch you on the chin or the temple, you're going to totally take the wind out of their sails. They're going to realize "oh man this guy can take a beating."

This is Connor McGregor. He's not a bad kick boxer. But he's by no means a great kick boxer. He's willing to scrap, and because of how dudes are trained, like I elaborated on, they'd totally fold under him. That's why he was so successful. Same thing, you could find a ton of kick boxing trainers, sit down and have them watch film of him, and while they'd say he wasn't bad, and he's even very good, he's not great. He's just so willing to throw down that people would start back pedaling, and then it was his time to shine because he was in his element and he'd throw them a beating.

Butch should reply to Ach’s post in 10 months. Let’s see how long we can keep it going.,
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Jorge Masvidal was brilliant against Nate Diaz last night. They stopped it in the 3rd because of a bad cut from an early elbow but Diaz was beat to shit by then anyway. It’s Nate Diaz so he could have come back I suppose, but not likely. Masvidal’s body kicks were fucking brutal. He dropped Diaz twice, took him down and beat on him. He dominated the clinch. He just kicked his ass. I was truly surprised.
    The Rock put the BMF belt on him in the ring, which was awesome. He is.
    Also, if you didn’t see Kevin Lee knocking out Gregor Gillespie, look it up. The whole fight lasts 20 seconds but it’s worth watching. Out fucking cold.
    Last edited by Hugh; 11-03-2019 at 01:34 PM.

That was a great fight. Nate Diaz and his brother Nick are like the weirdest fighters I've ever seen. They both have this super goofy, dumbass orangutan unorthodox style of fighting. The weird thing though is that when it works, it works incredibly well. Not even because it's practical, I think it's just so weird it massive throws people off. I actually have had tons of conversations with people I bang around with. Every now and then over the years someone will come into the gym, and have like an odd disposition and be physically awkward. In a purely fundamental sense you're an all around better kick boxer. But then he just starts doing some weird shit and even though he's not better than you, he's catching you. You catch on after fighting people like that after a few rounds, but I've had my clock cleaned tons of times by weird gangly people, or people with any type of weird sense of movement. That's basically the Diaz brothers to me.

So people like Diaz and his brother, they need a lot of attention to train for. I know you love this stuff so I can give you a first hand account of how I'm in a similar situation.

So I fight 125. Hopefully again in a few months (it's been a while so I'm taking my time). I'm right handed, but I fight with my lead hand forward when I box, which I've just always done. So my jab and lead hooks are right in your face basically. Now I'm not claiming this is a better way to do things, it's probably not for most people. It's just what I've always done, and relative to my size it works for me because you basically can't catch me in a fight. The unorthodoxy throws people off and it's a huge advantage.

So the fact that Masvidal schooled Diaz that bad definitely means that guy did his homework. It'd be like if you and I fought. I'd probably wreck you at first because I'm this super small unorthodox fighter, but if we kept at it and you paid enough attention to what I was doing you'd eventually figure me out. I might be weird but you can figure out weird if you take the time.

Holy shit. That looked like anime or something.
    That’s the most knocked out anyone has ever been.

Yeah dude, if you watch it again, he took a few seconds to fall. I know this part from being a medic - typically with significant head trauma your whole body stiffens. So like if you watch videos of people getting hit by cars they stiffen up right after. That's why that dude took so long to fall, he got his clock cleaned so bad he stiffened up and stayed standing clean unconscious for a few seconds.

What that dude did worked, but it's a pretty huge roll of the dice to try to pull off. He did it, and it was spectacular and probably one of if not the best knockouts I've ever seen in terms of how shocking it was. But it was a huge gamble because typically what they teach you is you NEVER spin for anything because you have to turn your back. He did something that in my opinion is stupid and I would never teach anyone to do and he pulled it off and got, like you said, an epic anime knockout. That was like a one in a million head kick.

Like I taught professionally for years and I've cornered for people and I would NEVER be like dude, forget all the boxing and footwork we did, just go Dragonball Z on him. But I mean hey, he pulled it off.

Thread Information