Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Club

Also, the fact that CM Punk was on the actual UFC PPV main card is one the dumbest fucking things I’ve seen in professional sports. I don’t know why that idiot thinks he should be in the UFC and I have absolutely no idea why Dana White let him, but I hope it never happens again. He’s not a fighter. He’s not a martial artist. He has no business in there and watching him is not entertaining. Maybe he’s entertaining as a pro wrestler or whatever. I have no idea and I don’t care. I don’t want to see the UFC turn into the WWE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

^ Agreed, the whole CM Punk debacle was pretty dumb. However, we've seen time and time again over the years that Dana will sacrifice sport/organization legitimacy for PPV buys, it's just CM Punk was probably the most extreme example.

How about DC knocking out Stipe to become the Champ Champ? I have always been a huge DC fan and am happy he got the job done. Hope Stipe bounces back and reclaims the title after DC retires. The DC/Brock promo was full-WWE (and pretty funny imo), but DC adamantly denied that it was staged. Dana confirmed that they are making that fight even though Brock can't fight until January due to his USADA suspension. Since DC is retiring in March 2019, he has maybe 2 fights left. Would love to see him go out against Brock and Bones at HW, but that probably won't happen since Bones is such a moron.

Daniel Cormier is a beast. What can I say? I was dead wrong. Some guys do get better even into advanced age.

He’s just awesome. I can’t explain it either other than to say DC is just one of the best fighters to ever get into the cage. Size doesn’t matter. Age doesn’t matter. Looks literally don’t mean a thing. DC is 5’11” and weighed in at 246 for this fight. He just looked like a 40 year old fat guy who used to lift weights. Lol. Incredible.
    That shit show with Brock Lesnar in the cafe afterward stupid but whatever. Another thing that makes DC so great is he’s an entertainer. I want to see that fight with Brock.
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Also, Brock is just a fucking asshole. Yeah I know he got called out and he’s selling a fight and all the rest but he’s still a fucking asshole. He’s calling Stipe Miocic a piece of shit as he’s still clearing the cobwebs from getting KOd. That’s pretty bad. The man just lost his belt. He didn’t have to bring him into a beef with DC. I don’t expect him to show respect but he could have at least had the decency to keep him out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    He’s just awesome. I can’t explain it either other than to say DC is just one of the best fighters to ever get into the cage. Size doesn’t matter. Age doesn’t matter. Looks literally don’t mean a thing. DC is 5’11” and weighed in at 246 for this fight. He just looked like a 40 year old fat guy who used to lift weights. Lol. Incredible.
    That shit show with Brock Lesnar in the cafe afterward stupid but whatever. Another thing that makes DC so great is he’s an entertainer. I want to see that fight with Brock.
    This was always the joke with Fedor back in the PrideFC days. He had the build of a teddy bear but he wrecked people.

I miss the hell out of Pride, I liked it a lot better than the UFC. I was always bummed that Mirko Cro Cop got to the States so late in his career because he just barely missed MMA getting hugely popular. He was a beast when he was still in his prime. Probably my favorite fighter of all time. It was like watching the terminator fight.

It's looking like I'm stepping back in a ring soon. It's been two years since I've fought competitively. I'm dreading cutting weight though. I'm a flyweight so I have to cut from about 133-ish to 125.

I liked Cro Cop too but he made his UFC debut in 2007. He was only 32 years old. I always wondered why he didn’t have more success in the Octagon. I don’t think he ever got comfortable in the UFC. He always looked out of place and tentative, completely different from the guy who dominated the PRIDE Absolute tournament the year before. He was unstoppable. Just walked people down and kicked their heads off.
    UFC and PRIDE were different though. Significantly. Different rules and regulations, in and out of the ring. Or cage. Whatever.

Pride catered way more to strikers whereas modern UFC cateres way more to wrestlers. I've fought in rings, circular cages, square cages, and octagon cages.

The thing with fighting in a ring is there's no way for a wrestler to grind you up against something. In a cage they have something they can just muscle you into to do their thing. The opposite is true with a square ring, because a striker can take the center of the ring and push you into corners. I'm much more of a kick boxer, for context. I can wrestle but not nearly as good as I can go toe to toe with someone.

Cro Cop too, despite being only a few years older than I am now, was a pretty tired man by that point. He'd lived a long life for someone that young. He had a famous quote saying he was thinking more about fishing than he was fighting. He went through some crazy shit with the fall of the Soviet Union too in terms of war. He was like ex-special forces and went through the downfall of the reds. So he was older than his age to be honest.

The problem with Pride was people with kick boxing backgrounds could school you if they played the rules right. The UFC is the opposite. If you can wrestle and use the three point rule (Randy Couture famously did this in Tim Sylvia fight when he came out of retirement. He put one hand on the ground with both legs planted and because he had three points on the ground Tim Sylvia couldn't knee his face into oblivion because of it. In a real fight Sylvia would have rearranged his face), you can navigate the rules in the UFC in a really unfair way.

There's obviously no way to do it correctly. People would start dying. I'd say a square cage would be the best way to even it out between strikers and mat rats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    It's looking like I'm stepping back in a ring soon. It's been two years since I've fought competitively. I'm dreading cutting weight though. I'm a flyweight so I have to cut from about 133-ish to 125.
    Let me know if you need any help cutting weight. 8 pounds is very easy, even at 133 pounds. Assuming you have a day to recover, there should be zero impact on your performance.

I've done it a bunch of times but thank you. I lose weight super easily. I actually struggle to keep weight on, I have the most inhuman metabolism on the face of the Earth. I could like inject butter directly into my veins and I would lose ten pounds. It's not hard to do, I just hate being super dehydrated.

I'm going to go flyweight this time but I'm honestly considering fighting up, which I've done plenty of times. I hate fighting guys my size, it's fucking exhausting. I'd rather fight someone with fifty pounds on me than another spring loaded 135 pound guy whose bouncing off the walls and going a million miles a minute. I don't have a ton of knockout power but I can outlast just about everyone I spar with and exhaust them. I can pull off some pretty freaky submissions too because I'm so small and wiry, I probably gogoplata people more than anyone should be able to with how flexible I am. My fight nick name was always monkey legs because I'm a bastard to hold down because I can bend such weird ways. I'm not even that good of a grappler either, I can just do weird shit because I can like put my legs behind my head and stuff so rather than being a great Jits guy I'm just preposterously annoying to force into anything on the ground.

The heaviest I could realistically fight is featherweight though. And I wouldn't even come in at 145, I'd be well under it. The heaviest I've ever been was 140 and that was with intense weight lifting and dieting. I don't mind being lighter though, I fought open weight for most of my career and would fight guys as big as 250. That's kind of my bread and butter actually. Eventually you get sick of getting your head caved in and accept that you're small and learn how to fight small, which is honestly a really interesting thing if you get into the technical fighting details about what it's like being someone my size fighting big dudes.
    Last edited by Achilles; 07-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Thread Information