Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Club

This just got me thinking that I should go back into fighting pro and you should corner me. You'd probably be awesome at that, haha.

I’d just get half cocked and quote Mickey lines from Rocky movies between rounds. I’d tell you to eat lightning and crap thunder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Yeah one time this guy put nails in his boxing glove and punched my face full of holes.

We could probably create the ultimate documentary ever if we agreed to just get drunk and see how far we could get fighting if we just had a shitty sense of humor and you were like YOU LOST THE EYE OF THE TIGER KID and we just staggered around after a few shots where you trained me wearing a watch cap slapping me in the back of the head while I do push ups then fight someone. It could be the underdog story, haha.

By the way, my fight name is Monkey Legs. And the only song I ever walked out to is It's Raining Men because I thought it'd be funny as fuck and I knocked the guy out which is the most hilarious shit ever to me because he came out to gangster rap.

Yeah I don't think I ever mentioned that on here actually. That was my name. Mikey "Monkey Legs" Sweeney. I fought 125 so I'm pretty small, and I was so small I typically ended up on bottom in grappling matches. But I'm absurdly flexible and like you'd be on top of me trying to hit me but I'd have my legs over my face. There was one day (years ago) where one of my trainers were like DUDE YOU'RE LIKE A FUCKING MONKEY WITH YOUR LEGS because this dude Chuck was trying to hit me but he couldn't get past my legs. So I became Mikey "Monkey Legs' Sweeney.

I'm officially back in the fight game next week. I've still been banging around but I got convinced to give it a go competitively. I'm 30 so I still have a window of a few years I can compete again. It'll be a few months before I step into a ring, I need to put on some weight. I've been swimming competitively the last few years which is one of the higest caloric demands of any sport - especially since I distance swim. I did the Boston Light swim this past year which was eight miles in open water (it's from Hull, Massachusetts to South Boston, Massachusetts if you want to google map the route), so I'm in great shape I'm just absurdly lean.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do weight class wise. Because of the swimming I'm walking around insanely light. I'm probably going to have to fight up, which I'm used to. I'll likely stick 125. I used to fight 135 but that was when I had years to establish a weight and maintain it. I'm not sure I can get that heavy again. I could definitely get to at least 130 and cut the five pounds. I've always been light in fights, most guys walk in much heavier than what they weighed in at. I usually only cut two or three pounds, if anything at all. The one huge advantage is I don't gas in fights from the weight cut, which is a massively underappreciated thing. Weight cutting kills you. Especially considering some dudes at 125 cut from as high as 140-45. So I might be lighter but I'm not totally junk in terms of energy.

We'll see how it goes. I could get hurt and this might not happen. My knees are absolute junk from all the fighting (I've already been told I'm inevitably going to need both knees replaced), and my feet are all fucked up too because I've broken every toe more times than I can count from kicking. So I'm going to feel it out and if it goes well and I can get back into shape I might be in a ring again before the end of the year.

I just fouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuught. And I wonnnnnnnnnnn. Beat up some Hawaiian dude. This is the twilight of my career so it's like a 1980s comeback story. My foot hurts.

Congrats. Tell us about it. What was it? Cage fight or kickboxing or what did you do?
    My wife said the watch shown on the show said uh the bad guy groups name before Thanos.

Thank you. It was in a cage, out in western Mass. I've always fought walking weight because I'm so light, I basically can't cut weight because of how light I am. When I was at the apex of me fighting I was walking around at 135, but that's when I was like snorting protein powder and lifting every day. My natural weight is around 120ish. So I always come in lighter than the other dude, because you have to figure someone fighting flyweight (125) likely walks around at 140 or so. The one advantage to not cutting is you don't gas nearly as quick, which I learned pretty quick when I was younger; like I learned that it was a huge advantage to be able to outlast people who had cut, because you have to figure while they weighed in at 125, they're likely walking into the ring at their natural weight and have 10-15 pounds on me. I went in at 121 so I was definitely at a size disadvantage.

I learned to fight small at a really young age because I had a great instructor/friend who taught me I basically had to embrace the fact that I was not a big guy, and own it. I can go toe to toe with huge dudes who outweigh me by like a hundred pounds and beat the fuck out of them because I can fight small. So that's more or less how I handled this fight.

The dude was way bigger than me, it looked like he cut a lot. He definitely acknowledged how small I am and he came out trying to take my head off. I'm a fast little bastard and basically, I kept intentionally putting myself into positions where he thought he would be able to clean my clock, then I moved. By the end of the first round he was absolutely exhausted. My wind is probably my biggest advantage; I competitively distance swim, I do like ten mile open water swimming races, so I can just go and go.

He came out absolutely gassed, and I started harassing him with leg kicks - my right leg to his lead left leg. After about fifteen of them, his lead hand started dropping when he stepped, which I took note of. So I booted him in the thigh, his left hand dropped, and I stepped into the kick and hit him with a cross to the jaw. He stumbled back and I booted him as hard as I could in the stomach with my foot into the cage, then laid into him and he dropped.

It was fun as hell. I still always fight but it's been a solid five years since I've fought competitively. I had a blast. I got to come out to music too and I came out to It's Raining Men because I wanted to beat someone up after coming out to the gayest song possible, haha.

Nice work. Is the one and done or are you planning to keep fighting for a while?
    Also, did you happen to see Alistair Overeem’s face explode when he fought Rozenstruik last week? I’m on my phone or I’d post a picture. You have to see it if you haven’t. He got hit and the entire left side of his mouth blew up like there was a firecracker under his lip. It’s horrific.

Ach we need to roll some time when you're on the east coast

congrats

Banner by Madamos
    Co-leader of The Dawg Pound - humpin legs since 2004

Thread Information