Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: nano.dollardns.net

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default nano.dollardns.net

Its here! Fresh from the nightly bugfixing sessions, I present you Nanites Noir! in "official" alpha release version!

http://nano.dollardns.net

The stage has come where I regard this game as being playable, albeit not fully understandable for outsiders. Therefore observe These annotated screenshots to help me introduce what might seem like swirls of colorful bubbles and circular objects. Imagine you are staring into a test tube filled with a nutritious fluid and observe tiny cell cluster having a go at each other on which can outlive the other... Well not only cell clusters, but actually bacterial cells guarded by fierce nano-scale robots, which in turn are using futuristic high-end military grade weaponry to desintegrate each other... Well and you are in charge of commanding and programming one of these badass machines. What could possibly go wrong in this in-vitro test lab. Rumor has it you are secretly working on some obscure military project, but thats just what the coffe-junkies in caffeteria are saying. Don't trust people who actually enjoy coffee...

I will be truly thankful for anyone interested in laying the groundworks of this game, that is helping me test out the core game/battle mechanics and identify stuff that is overpowered or useless at this stage. So go ahead and register an account if you haven't done so already! I'll be giving out plenty of bonus stuff for the early birds.

The "missing feature road" still has plenty of milestones strewn along before the new "official" release, so expect some of this stuff to appear in near future:
    - battle log (current work in progress); browse through previous battles step by step to get insight in where you nanite may fail in combat.
    - win prizes; winning battles (or just participating in them) will grant you a chance at winning new (and powerful) instructions and nanites.
    - nanites management improvement; see where your nanites are in use, recall active (unanswered) challenges. (currently editing your nanite will cancel any challenge it is registered in, this includes source challenge.)
    - chat window; this is an elaborate section with a public chat window, and chat windows for every friend you want to include
    - function buttons in chat window; challenge user, jump to user, ...
    - clan system
    - public and private (user-created) tournaments (far fetch, but all existing mechanics are prepared for this feature)

Please, if you have any questions go ahead and ask. I would LOVE to see some action here!

Main fluid area where you let your cell cluster "swim" around collecting nutrition bubbles to let your cell cluster grow. Search for other users to challenge or nurtion sources to occupy (bigger blue object near the center - also selection shows "BLUE SOURCE"). By occupying a nutrition source, the "source score" will slowly rise over time to and converge to a maximum of 500 points. The occupying user will earn these points when a different user successfully occupies the nurtition source and in turn earns 10% of that score as a bonus.
    If you challenge an other user or occupy a nutrition source, the nanite will be regarded as "in use" and you will not be able to engage in further challenges. In current lack of a nice nanite status overview, please go ahead an edit your nanite setup if you need to free it from an existing challenge. Any existing challenge (or source occupation) will be cancelled once you edit your nanite setup (see below).

Nanite management section. You will start out with one nanite, surrounded by the cells of your cell cluster. Click on it and select edit in order to modify its instruction register. The Starting instruction register is a randomized set of moderately defensive instruction setups (and has till today proven quite useful at times)

The nanite editor shows you the instruction register, which will be executed step by step from left to right (starting at postiion 0). The instruction register has 12 positions, and the execution will loop a few times until any winning conditions are met (conditions are nanite hit points or cell count reduced to zero), otherwise the battle ends in a draw. Your main objective is to define an instruction register setup that succeeds in reaching a winning condition while preventing the opponent in doing so.
    Every instruction has three attributes that define its performance when executed:
    • PRW (power) describes the strength with which an instruction is executed. For most instructions to take effect, they need to have PWR greater than enemy RES.
    • POT (potence) is the magnitude of the executed instruction, e.g. the damage it deals or the instruction register slots it affects.
    • RES (resistance) is the overall ability of the nanite and cell cluster to withstand incomming attacks.

When you click on an instruction within the register, a section called instruction editor will appear. Here you can spend PTS (points) on the instruction attributes, whereas the costs vary for every instruction (see the tooltip on the plus and minus buttons). Details about the instruction nature (category) and effect are listed on the right side.
    At the bottom, the instruction palette shows all your available instructions, each with a counter on top. Click on an instruction from the palette and then on the instruction register position you want it inserted - this will replace any previously present instruction at that position.
    When you are satisfied with your setup, click save at the very bottom. Note that a "valid" instruction register only states that every instruction register position holds an instruction, but not that the PTS (points) are well spent.

Some additional notes:
    If you edit and save the instruction register of a nanite that was in use (i.e. you have created an unanswered challenge for another player, or the nanite is currently occupying a nutrition source), these challenges will be deleted! If a user were allowed to change the nanite setup after occupying a nutrition source, one could go all offensive at first, and then turtle up when the mission was successful - thats not the meaning of the game.
    I am currently working on how a user gets meaningful information about where their nanites are in use (open challenges, occupied nutrtion sources), and also if there are any incoming challenges from other players. Its all work in progress on a prioritized list...

Overview of battle Reports in chronological order. The list shows number of cells and nanites on attackers and defenders side, together with the battle outcome and score gain of the player. Clicking on a timestamp in the "time" column will take you to the "battle log" (see below).

The battle log lets you browse through every instruction execution of that battle. It is an intermediate method to see what is actually happening (and where the enemy nanite instruction register has its weak points) before a more usable interactive version will be implemented in the near future.

Simple user rankings. You can click on various column headers to sort the list. The column "instructions" shows the number of distinct instructions a user owns.
    Last edited by Bogart; 05-10-2016 at 08:57 AM.

a game that I am creating in my spare time. find the how-to-play >here<

Apollo

You think Xerent still has all the files from Genesis?

registration email msg never arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    You think Xerent still has all the files from Genesis?
    err wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxvero View Post
    registration email msg never arrived
    Thanks for checking it out and reporting here, Luxvero! Will look into what went wrong and let you know!
    Edit: Just as a heads-up, once you log in you will be able to change your email address and re-send the activation email etc. from the account settings menu.
    Last edited by Bogart; 05-02-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Its here! Fresh from the nightly bugfixing sessions, I present you Nanites Noir! in "official" alpha release version!

http://nano.dollardns.net

The stage has come where I regard this game as being playable, albeit not fully understandable for outsiders. Therefore observe These annotated screenshots to help me introduce what might seem like swirls of colorful bubbles and circular objects. Imagine you are staring into a test tube filled with a nutritious fluid and observe tiny cell cluster having a go at each other on which can outlive the other... Well not only cell clusters, but actually bacterial cells guarded by fierce nano-scale robots, which in turn are using futuristic high-end military grade weaponry to desintegrate each other... Well and you are in charge of commanding and programming one of these badass machines. What could possibly go wrong in this in-vitro test lab. Rumor has it you are secretly working on some obscure military project, but thats just what the coffe-junkies in caffeteria are saying. Don't trust people who actually enjoy coffee...

I will be truly thankful for anyone interested in laying the groundworks of this game, that is helping me test out the core game/battle mechanics and identify stuff that is overpowered or useless at this stage. So go ahead and register an account if you haven't done so already! I'll be giving out plenty of bonus stuff for the early birds.

The "missing feature road" still has plenty of milestones strewn along before the new "official" release, so expect some of this stuff to appear in near future:
    - battle log (current work in progress); browse through previous battles step by step to get insight in where you nanite may fail in combat.
    - win prizes; winning battles (or just participating in them) will grant you a chance at winning new (and powerful) instructions and nanites.
    - nanites management improvement; see where your nanites are in use, recall active (unanswered) challenges. (currently editing your nanite will cancel any challenge it is registered in, this includes source challenge.)
    - chat window; this is an elaborate section with a public chat window, and chat windows for every friend you want to include
    - function buttons in chat window; challenge user, jump to user, ...
    - clan system
    - public and private (user-created) tournaments (far fetch, but all existing mechanics are prepared for this feature)

Please, if you have any questions go ahead and ask. I would LOVE to see some action here!

Main fluid area where you let your cell cluster "swim" around collecting nutrition bubbles to let your cell cluster grow. Search for other users to challenge or nurtion sources to occupy (bigger blue object near the center - also selection shows "BLUE SOURCE"). By occupying a nutrition source, the "source score" will slowly rise over time to and converge to a maximum of 500 points. The occupying user will earn these points when a different user successfully occupies the nurtition source and in turn earns 10% of that score as a bonus.
    If you challenge an other player or occupy a nutrition source, the nanite will be regarded as "in use" and you will not be able to engage in further challenges. In current lack of a nice nanite status overview, please go ahead an edit your nanite setup if you need to free it from an existing challenge. Any existing challenge (or source occupation) will be cancelled once you edit your nanite setup (see below).

Nanite management section. You will start out with one nanite, surrounded by the cells of your cell cluster. Click on it and select edit in order to modify its instruction register. The Starting instruction register is a randomized set of moderately defensive instruction setups (and has till today proven quite useful at times)

Overview of battle Reports. Clicking on an entry in the "time" column will take you to a "battle log" page that lets you browse through every instruction execution of that battle. It is an intermediate method to see what is actually happening (and where the enemy nanite instruction register has its weak points) before a more usable interactive version will be implemented in the near future.

Simple user rankings. Nothing special to see here! So far no "real" user has managed to gain any points... Be the first!

>copied and edited from this facebook post<
    Last edited by Bogart; 05-04-2016 at 05:34 AM.

hmmmm ok, so i can

- hover the mouse to redirect the bubbles to your cluster
    - hold mouse inside radar screen to move cluster
    - click blue circle outside radar to fast travel to where everyone is

ive eaten some bubbles to accumulate some cells, but couldnt attack anyone or the occupied BlueSource

so i went to the nanites page, clicked my 1 nanite > edit
    (whats POT PWR?)
    i dont think i bought anything, but i clicked "save" anyways, and finally the popup read "your nanite is ready for battle"

finally i attack and ... holy shit 200 lines of battlelog generated!

is this gonna be a game for obsessive compulsive tacticians?

so a persistent massive tactical game, like Planetarion, DawnOfMyth and others, but instead of a myriad of resources, soldiers, research trees, and exploration, the challenge will be to infer your opponents configuration of nanites from the battle logs, change your settings and try again to remove the enemy from the source?

hmmmm ok, so i can

- hover the mouse to redirect the bubbles to your cluster
    - hold mouse inside radar screen to move cluster
    - click blue circle outside radar to fast travel to where everyone is

ive eaten some bubbles to accumulate some cells, but couldnt attack anyone or the occupied BlueSource

so i went to the nanites page, clicked my 1 nanite > edit
    (whats POT PWR?)
    PRW (power) describes the strength with which an instruction is executed. For most instructions to take effect, they need to have PWR greater than enemy RES.
    POT (potence) is the magnitude of the executed instruction, e.g. the damage it deals or the instruction register slots it affects.
    RES (resistance) is the overall ability of the nanite and cell cluster to withstand incomming attacks.

i dont think i bought anything, but i clicked "save" anyways, and finally the popup read "your nanite is ready for battle"

finally i attack and ... holy shit 200 lines of battlelog generated!

is this gonna be a game for obsessive compulsive tacticians?

so a persistent massive tactical game, like Planetarion, DawnOfMyth and others, but instead of a myriad of resources, soldiers, research trees, and exploration, the challenge will be to infer your opponents configuration of nanites from the battle logs, change your settings and try again to remove the enemy from the source?
    Exactly that! Nicely deducted, thanks for checking this out

In the beginning, this might seem a little too straight forward "anti-setup-building" as you only have one nanite and a limited set of instructions.
    But as stated in the "missing features", you will sooner or later be able to win additional nanites and instructions from fought battles - so as soon as you have more than one nanite on your side in battle, a "one-kills-all" setup is highly unlikely to encounter. You have two winning conditions to focus on: Either kill all enemy cells or enemy nanites, which makes this more versatile.
    As a matter of fact there are already 40 Instructions (10 categories, 4 levels) coded and tested which will be available as battle prizes too... Sneak preview from the instructions image:

Hope you like what you have seen so far!
    Last edited by Bogart; 05-03-2016 at 03:05 AM.

I named my nanite KAP.

Edit: Also guys. Give it a try. Bog has worked hard with it and has put a lot of time into it.
    Last edited by Mask; 05-04-2016 at 02:24 PM.

As several people have expressed that nano shows a steep learning curve, let me try to give you all a little insight into the core mechanics that is the nanite instruction register.

During each battle step, your nanite will execute an instruction, starting with position 0 of the instruction register. The instruction register has 12 positions, and the execution will loop back around to 0 a few times until any winning conditions are met (conditions are nanite hit points or cell count reduced to zero), otherwise the battle ends in a draw. Your main objective is to define an instruction register setup that succeeds in reaching a winning condition while preventing the opponent in doing so.

Every instruction has three attributes that define its performance when executed:
    PRW (power) describes the strength with which an instruction is executed. For most instructions to take effect, they need to have PWR greater than enemy RES.
    POT (potence) is the magnitude of the executed instruction, e.g. the damage it deals or the instruction register slots it affects.
    RES (resistance) is the overall ability of the nanite and cell cluster to withstand incomming attacks.

When you click on an instruction within the register, a section called instruction editor will appear. Here you can spend PTS (points) on the instruction attributes, whereas the costs vary for every instruction (see the tooltip on the plus and minus buttons). Details about the instruction nature (category) and effect are listed on the right side.

At the bottom, the instruction palette shows all your available instructions, each with a counter on top. Click on an instruction from the palette and then on the instruction register position you want it inserted - this will replace any previously present instruction at that position.

When you are satisfied with your setup, click save at the very bottom. Note that a "valid" instruction register only states that every instruction register position holds an instruction, but not that the PTS (points) are well spent.

Some additional notes:
    If you edit and save the instruction register of a nanite that was in use (i.e. you have created an unanswered challenge for another player, or the nanite is currently occupying a nutrition source), these challenges will be deleted! If a user were allowed to change the nanite setup after occupying a nutrition source, one could go all offensive at first, and then turtle up when the mission was successful - thats not the meaning of the game.
    I am currently working on how a user gets meaningful information about where their nanites are in use (open challenges, occupied nutrtion sources), and also if there are any incoming challenges from other players. Its all work in progress on a prioritized list...

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    I named my nanite KAP.

Edit: Also guys. Give it a try. Bog has worked hard with it and has put a lot of time into it.
    Thanks a bunch Mask! Lets see if KAP lets you gain some headway in the rankings

TAO's School Yard Bully KickAssPlaya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    I named my nanite KAP.

You son of a b...

Oh wait. Maybe I should be flattered Going to give it another go tonight

Thread Information