Thread: New Game Mechanic - Blocking Revised

Default New Game Mechanic - Blocking Revised

The concept of Blocking is being revised. Instead of say "Knight 80% blocking" it is broken down two fold:

- Attack accuracy
    - Dodge chance

So 50% Attack accuracy against a guy with 30% dodge chance would be a 20% actual chance to hit. This is just an example.

Another would be 100% accuracy against 25% dodge, would be a 75% actual chance to hit.

If you guys are really interested and want to help, look at the Unit thread and implement this new blocking method. Currently I am going to make all units 100% accurate and then use the listed blocking for dodge chance. However post release this will allow additional tweaking over that of the previous game.

Please discuss anything relevant and post your ideas for breakdowns of accuracy/dodge. Something with minimal effort, but hugely relevant to me would be how you view this accuracy/dodge breakdown playing out with TAO units using the old stats if that's what is most comfortable to you. Like a Pyro should be 100% accurate, but a Berserker should be only 80% accurate.

Keep in mind this means an inaccurate attacker is more likely to be blocked and a high dodge is more likely to dodge. If we roll with extremes on these stats it is possible we have units that simply can not connect against other units.

This sounds like a really neat concept.

Would it be too complicated to have a block, dodge, and accuracy percentage? I mean, I don't really think a knight should be dodging very many attacks, but with his big shield, he should be blocking quite a few. What do you think?

Do block and dodge do essentially the same thing or are you taking some damage when blocking?

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Do block and dodge do essentially the same thing or are you taking some damage when blocking?
    I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead. That would definitely make things more interesting. It would mean "knights" wouldn't be as tank-y as they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by |AFO| View Post
    I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead. That would definitely make things more interesting. It would mean "knights" wouldn't be as tank-y as they were before.
    I agree, I mean it would be a small figure (-2 or -3) but it would add another variable to the luck aspect in this game. Since our spin on a traditional strategy game is the luck factor, we need to take full advantage of this.

But we also can't make it so chance based that it lacks a strategy to win. It shouldn't turn into a shit show.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

I would suggest 2 things:
    1. The dodge/hit accuracy should vary on what side/where you attack the opposing unit such as low hit acurracy on front assault, higher on side and 100% on attacks from behind, as well as magic attacks should not be blocked but as a twist, magic attacks could be blocked by the magic based units(if possible) ex. dragon has 100% hit accuracy on all units but magic based units.
    2. the option to change what direction your units face, I know this shouldn't matter since right now the units can actually block attacks from behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
    you're OUR idiot, which is the point in the end
    Netjak win Netjak strong Netjak forever
    https://vimeo.com/user175625740 my new game recordings

Thread Information