Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balance and Debugging - Alpha Release

Default Balance and Debugging - Alpha Release

Alright guys, I got the game up and running and it's pretty smooth so far. I urge anyone that hasn't checked it out to give it a go right now. I've got some questions, though:

1) What is Prefab?

2) Do we get a choice to play with regular or hex tiles?

Comments:

1) Maybe add unit stats on the top left and what the selected unit is since it's kind of hard to see the animations and make out the unit.

2) Make the question mark a hover over feature to check unit stats, use the area on the top left to add stats.

3) I noticed that the units can move nearly the length of half the board, especially the dragon. If you remember in classic TAO, it would take any given unit multiple turns to make it to the opposite side of the board.

4) I would rather the units be out in the open from the beginning of the game, the fact that some are hidden makes it hard to formulate a strategy from the beginning, the point isn't to attack blindly and I don't think we should encourage it.

That's all I have for now, curious to see what others think about it.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

I really like it so far, it has that tactics feel.

1) Prefab I assume you are talking about from the campaign mode when you buy units. That's because that menu takes the name info from the wrong area. The name I named the Prefabs were like UnitNamePrefab, so DragonPrefab for example. Then the DragonPrefab has scripts attached to it and the prefabs with scripts are loaded into a unit list and in the unit list there is three attachments a name, a prefab connection and a sprite connection so that purchase menu is taking name info from the prefab line instead of the name line. In game functionally I think everywhere will have the correct naming (I think health and AP levels were some weird numbers too, but the maxes were correct). If that's not what you are asking about a Prefab is when you create an object that you want to use multiple times so you make it once as a prefab (prefabricated object) with all the scripts and animations and controllers attached then can reference it in different places.

2) I put hex tiles into the campaign mode because people wanted to try it months ago. So that's a game mode you can test hex on to see if you guys like it more or not. One thing I'd like to point out about hex is making the tappered corners, or something similarly interesting strategic board is much harder and someone that really wants hex should design a board that I can make a mode implementing if they want.

1) In this you can also zoom in to see your unit (I think parts of the campaign it's hard to zoom on the far left/right sides if I remember right), I also messed up on the hotseat multiplayer by making both players yellow. I should have changed the other player faction to red or something else on the health bars to make IDing easier.

3) I think the dragon has the same range as a DT in TAO in terms of movement and attack (minus the attack isn't just in a line and the board is a row or column larger). The real question on this is the Action Points (AP), I can make them apply to movement as well (Wizard is an example of this btw if you want to see how it works). If you guys balance the units with that system in mind. All the non-Wizard units have a 0AP cost for movement right now so you can move faster.

4) are you talking about deploying units? You can deploy them and reselect them from the board to place them back in the to be place queue. If not I think you might be talking to the Fog of War in campaign mode, which I included to show off how different units can have differing "sights" but I went over that fast so I think they all have sights equal to the larger of either range or movement, or that number plus one (not sure that was a while ago). I didn't think Fog of War would be something we actually want, but thought it was worth showing as an option.

____

PS off the bat the menu is messed up in some scenes, specifically I noticed this if you hit restart and then try to return to the main menu, just quit the application and reopen it for now to get back out.

Wizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post

Comments:

1) Maybe add unit stats on the top left and what the selected unit is since it's kind of hard to see the animations and make out the unit.

3) I noticed that the units can move nearly the length of half the board, especially the dragon. If you remember in classic TAO, it would take any given unit multiple turns to make it to the opposite side of the board.

4) I would rather the units be out in the open from the beginning of the game, the fact that some are hidden makes it hard to formulate a strategy from the beginning, the point isn't to attack blindly and I don't think we should encourage it.

That's all I have for now, curious to see what others think about it.

I think these might be the main issues that I noticed as well. Trying to think of others right now from my playing last night but Kash hit the nail on the head.

#4 I'm pretty sure he means the AI's units are hidden at the other side of the board, making it difficult to pre-determine where you want to move your own unit to for the best point of attack. Honestly though, until the AI is a little smarter I think that it's fine the way it is with the "Fog of War" I assume we're all talking about. Makes it a *bit* more difficult

What do you guys think about the angle you can view the board?

Also what happened to being able to choose the direction you're standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    1) Prefab I assume you are talking about from the campaign mode when you buy units. That's because that menu takes the name info from the wrong area. The name I named the Prefabs were like UnitNamePrefab, so DragonPrefab for example. Then the DragonPrefab has scripts attached to it and the prefabs with scripts are loaded into a unit list and in the unit list there is three attachments a name, a prefab connection and a sprite connection so that purchase menu is taking name info from the prefab line instead of the name line. In game functionally I think everywhere will have the correct naming (I think health and AP levels were some weird numbers too, but the maxes were correct). If that's not what you are asking about a Prefab is when you create an object that you want to use multiple times so you make it once as a prefab (prefabricated object) with all the scripts and animations and controllers attached then can reference it in different places.

2) I put hex tiles into the campaign mode because people wanted to try it months ago. So that's a game mode you can test hex on to see if you guys like it more or not. One thing I'd like to point out about hex is making the tappered corners, or something similarly interesting strategic board is much harder and someone that really wants hex should design a board that I can make a mode implementing if they want.

1) In this you can also zoom in to see your unit (I think parts of the campaign it's hard to zoom on the far left/right sides if I remember right), I also messed up on the hotseat multiplayer by making both players yellow. I should have changed the other player faction to red or something else on the health bars to make IDing easier.

3) I think the dragon has the same range as a DT in TAO in terms of movement and attack (minus the attack isn't just in a line and the board is a row or column larger). The real question on this is the Action Points (AP), I can make them apply to movement as well (Wizard is an example of this btw if you want to see how it works). If you guys balance the units with that system in mind. All the non-Wizard units have a 0AP cost for movement right now so you can move faster.

4) are you talking about deploying units? You can deploy them and reselect them from the board to place them back in the to be place queue. If not I think you might be talking to the Fog of War in campaign mode, which I included to show off how different units can have differing "sights" but I went over that fast so I think they all have sights equal to the larger of either range or movement, or that number plus one (not sure that was a while ago). I didn't think Fog of War would be something we actually want, but thought it was worth showing as an option.

____

PS off the bat the menu is messed up in some scenes, specifically I noticed this if you hit restart and then try to return to the main menu, just quit the application and reopen it for now to get back out.
    I would rather play with normal tiles for now, just to balance the units, then we can do hex. It's just a different game with the hex.

I'm talking about the Fog of War, I think it would be hard to strategize at any point if we can't see. It would require people jotting down notes for positioning and that's way too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Also what happened to being able to choose the direction you're standing?
    I haven't figured that one out yet.

If you could comment on the unit stats and how they play out (if you want to test with implied units in the way block ranged shots you can, I'll try and figure it out by the time it's networked multiplayer)

Wizzy

In regards to unit stats, all units seem pretty easy to kill. Maybe buff the healths?

Which ones in paticular, Wizzy? Can you recommend some changes?

Wizzy

Yeah pretty much everything you said in your initial post I had discussed with Hulky earlier that night when he sent me the Alpha to make sure it was able to run, including turn direction being missing. I'll be looking for some other things to give input on at some point.

In regards to which units in particular are squishy, I'd say all of them. They could all use a health boost. I don't have the unit health in front of me right now to go down the list and say which should be buffed but I'll do that too when I get the chance. Some units don't need a health buff because they are crazy OP already and should die fast. I.E Illusionist

There's also the chance of this happening: http://i.imgur.com/DgnKF51.png and I let Hulky know but he was already aware of the issue

Also I don't mean to boost the health 30+ points or anything crazy.

Thread Information