Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Balance and Debugging - Alpha Release

Anyone with any ideas (Brandon) can post in here.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

I could have used some feedback on a few things:

1) Why no one outside of Wizzy and Kash played it.
    2) Why it only held your interest for a short duration of time (I seriously think on an average day of TAO I spent more time clicking my avatar up and down on the lobby than people spent time play testing this).
    3) The balance of the units, what units were OP and what ones were correct. Any unit you'd remove to make it balanced, any unit you'd add, changes whatever.

Literally anything. When I work on the game (which I keep doing) I see basically no thoughts (the ones that are there, are there but I check this multiple times a day and it's hard for just Wizzy and Kash to get the conversation going with just two people). Is it my fault for not giving super detailed play by play or something? I need input if you want it to be a game you guys helped with otherwise it's going to be just what I make and I am far less likely to change it after the fact because I am not really a fan of wasting all my time and energy.

Could be a few things:

- It's a downloadable file so people didn't bother to try it
    - It's not online so people are still waiting for the final product
    - It's a .exe file so mac users (like me) won't be able to run it

Things like unit stats and abilities you don't even have to play to balance or comment on though. Now I'm working on a browser networked one with very little input on units which is going to disappoint people when they start playing and it's not however they wanted.

Upon a quick glance at the units, they seem balanced in my opinion. But keep in mind, when making abilities such as stun/silence, they should have lower infliction rates and last for short durations such as 1-2 turns if the unit does not need to focus on an enemy (ie. Frost golem must focus on one enemy in order to keep the status infliction) - or else it will be game breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    - It's a .exe file so mac users (like me) won't be able to run it
    If anyone missed the facebook post or the announcements post, the mac version is now downloadable at: www.taoforums.com/alpha.html

Just wanted to let you know that I played the mac version for a bit today. Looks pretty cool and I had fun beating up on the AI. I'm not a fan of the octagonal board though. You can't control the flow of your opponent much at all, which means theres really no point in playing defensively. Overall I didn't think that any single unit was OPd. Its tough to judge against the AI though.

I like the idea of square tiles and seeing where that goes. It makes the board larger and allows for better movement and defensive strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I like the idea of square tiles and seeing where that goes. It makes the board larger and allows for better movement and defensive strategies.
    I agree on squares, but people wanted to see hex so I used that in that one mode. However Hex doesn't make the board smaller. I can make the board any size or shape I want. I can make 50x100 if I wanted. It is better for defensive strategies though since fewer angles make for less units needed to block movement off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    I agree on squares, but people wanted to see hex so I used that in that one mode. However Hex doesn't make the board smaller. I can make the board any size or shape I want. I can make 50x100 if I wanted. It is better for defensive strategies though since fewer angles make for less units needed to block movement off.
    Agreed, and defense is a big part of the game. It would also be easier to figure out LOS with square tiles, I think. I'll have some more feedback this weekend, I just have midterms going on now and they end this week so I'll be playing it a lot more after.

Thread Information