Page 77 of 109 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football

Gonna be funny when Bama wins the whole thing.

I have to side with Marez on this. I would rather have the team with quality wins and SOS be there than the team that looks better by the eye test. If we're going by the eye test, then Alabama is just going to get in every season because they get the best recruits and start the season at #1. It seems silly to play an entire season of football and have the main criteria for getting in the playoff be the eye test. Like what's the point of playing the season?

That being said, if the college football playoff were like a TAO draft or something, I would pick Alabama before Ohio St 110% of the time.

Bama got in this year on name and previous reputation. If you stick the exact same resume that Bama had this year and attach it to a Vanderbilt, there's no way in hell they would be in. Bama is literally given the benefit of the doubt every year before they even play a damn game because of the pre-season rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Bama got in this year on name and previous reputation. If you stick the exact same resume that Bama had this year and attach it to a Vanderbilt, there's no way in hell they would be in. Bama is literally given the benefit of the doubt every year before they even play a damn game because of the pre-season rankings.
    Yup. The Vanderbilt section in particular is just 100% accurate. I think even in the "eye test" situation. What "eye test" are we using? Because it feels like the eye test from 2016 and not 2017. Because usually no one uses the eye test when you're just whipping mid majors.

No one is contributing what the committee thinks though. They had tOSU has the 8th best team based on performance before conference championships. They would have had to vault 4 teams that may all be just as deserving as tOSU. Don't get me wrong. I'm anti-Bama more than anyone here being the only SEC fan, but other than hating Bama, what's the reasoning? Should a 3 loss team really be in the CFP? That would turn the entire thing in it's head. Would you put a 3 loss Auburn over UCF? I think Auburn is as good as the next 3 up and 3 down around them. They can only do 4 teams, and I don't think you can justify a loss to tOSU over Bama. Auburn is just a silly argument.

The eye test comes from playing the season. Wisconsin passed the eye test an more against tOSU and the rest of their schedule. If tOSU blows out Wisc then Ohio State is easily in.

Alabama wouldn't be their if everyone else did their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post
    No one is contributing what the committee thinks though. They had tOSU has the 8th best team based on performance before conference championships. They would have had to vault 4 teams that may all be just as deserving as tOSU. Don't get me wrong. I'm anti-Bama more than anyone here being the only SEC fan, but other than hating Bama, what's the reasoning? Should a 3 loss team really be in the CFP? That would turn the entire thing in it's head. Would you put a 3 loss Auburn over UCF? I think Auburn is as good as the next 3 up and 3 down around them. They can only do 4 teams, and I don't think you can justify a loss to tOSU over Bama. Auburn is just a silly argument.

The eye test comes from playing the season. Wisconsin passed the eye test an more against tOSU and the rest of their schedule. If tOSU blows out Wisc then Ohio State is easily in.
    toSU, not tOSU, whoever you want. I don't care. But Alabama doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 on their resume. I don't see how the commitee can knock UCF and not Bama. Auburn, tOSU, hell, Miami, deserve to be in more than Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke View Post

Under certain circumstances I would agree with you that it is hard for a team to jump 4 spots in the rankings during the final week, but I think what you and most people aren't considering in that argument is that 3 of those 4 spots were guaranteed based on the teams that were guaranteed to lose in the front of them. Miami or Clemson had to lose, Georgia or Auburn had to lose, and if OSU beat Wisconsin (like we did), Wisconsin had to lose. So in essence it wouldn't be us jumping four teams based on a win alone, we would have probably jumped those teams that lost even if we didn't play in the championship game (kind of like last year).

In the end, the ONLY team we really had to jump was Bama. Bama sat at home while we beat the only remaining undefeated power 5 team in the nation, while winning arguable the toughest conference while doing so. I think that is MORE than enough to jump a single team that didn't even play that extra game, especially when you consider that just last week, Holcutt said the gap between Ohio State and Bama was already "razor thin."

Deserves isn't what matters. Do you think Alabama or tOSU has a better chance to beat any of the other three teams?

I think that's important. 4 "Best teams". Not, "4 teams that deserve to be there". Conference championships in a way show who "deserves" but really, do you think Alabama is trash or something? Lol

Thread Information