Thread: World Sky and Weather Test

Default World Sky and Weather Test

Soon I will try and upload (hopefully) a WebGL (Browser HTML5 format) made in Unity (the program I have been using) "game" [it's not actually a game, just a scene with the weather and sky system I've been fooling with] for you guys (and me) to see if you like it in an open world environment/game. What I have made in the program looks pretty awesome and I've spent quiet a bit of time just looking at the sky and playing around with it and hopefully you guys think it's cool and all that jazz as well.

Side note for anyone wondering: I hit wall after wall trying to hash out networking and some of the issues of the game like rotating units and 2 players over the network controlling a faction each. I keep fooling around with my loose open world idea though and it makes more sense to me so I work on it a bit to distract myself. I've talked with people and a concern is if I do finish this game and have it become a open world/turn based strategy combo - that the open world could overpower the turn based aspects, but that's not going to stop me from having fun and doing what I want on the side. Maybe they combine cool in the end, or even I end up going a different direction for failing the turn based - who knows. Anyways when I get the sky and weather test up hopefully that link "play now" in the forums will link to it, when it does [if it does] it will be edited from unavailable to the current update.

Banned

Open world would be pretty cool.

It's up now. It's WebGL so Chrome can't play it without jumping through hoops but FireFox, Safari, (maybe IE?) and the other normal browsers should work. Click the Play Now Game Link to Tile Arena Online (Sky Weather Test) in the forum to try it if you are interested.

No downloads unless you need so plugin to use WebGL.

Right off the bat I found what's going to be the biggest issue with WebGL - running out of memory from your browser as it allocates whatever amount then the memory gets hogged up pretty fast.

Wizzy

no walking - intentional?

other than that I didn't get to do much before the memory ran out and the game froze. Put up a rainbow, then lightning, and snow (at the same time) and then boom memory gone.

yeah it's no walking around in this one theres a couple balls with some materials on them to see how the lighting works with some different things that would/could be in the world. Basically this is just to look at the sky and slide the times and weathers around and test how to do exporting/uploading as a WebGL. The memory issue thing is going to basically nix WebGL for me in the future though and might be something for Matt to look into before he cruises into 3d.

Banned

All I could do was look around, I'm not even sure what the balls are for.

It looks pretty cool though and the graphics are good considering. I think this could be a hit. Maybe you could have a strategy/open world game where you would have different mini-games of a strategic type.

Where are you thinking of going with this? Something like Skyrim?

Thread Information