Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Alpha Release of new Tactics-Style Game!

Cool. I can't wait to see the code.I only mentioned UnityWeb because I've built an SRPG engine and I could take the Characters and their Features and just plug them in.So I would just need the art assets and SFX. I have Lobby and Matchmaking done. If Store Purchases are using In game currency, then I can use my Battle results code to allot the gold and then make a separate menu for purchasing Units. Maybe put the store in a menu similar to TAO's Unit set up screen.

TLR; (I'd just need):
    -New Characters to play with, better re balancing of old characters (art, idea-design, animation //, minor coding)
    -Integration with 3rd party login site APIs (so that people from kongregate can play/other websites don't need to login through us).

And I wouldn't charge a dime. If it's just to re-do TAO at it's core and add more functionality, then I can do that no problem.

Oh cool. sounds neat. I'd like to look at your stuff before I commit to a rebuild of my work. Things such as:
    -How your networking is implemented
    -How you do databases, authentication, and the like
    -How you deploy your unity build to servers
    -How your game loop functions (ie how do generalize troop abilities)
    -How well documented it is

Is your Unity SRPG engine shared/open source by chance that I could look at?

-How your networking is implemented
    I use Photon Unity Networking but other methods work just fine.

-How you do databases, authentication, and the like
    I could use Steam as I have a License there and could just put the game there free to play. My AI programmer is also skilled in server implementations and the rest.

-How you deploy your unity build to servers
    Steam again, but we have other alternatives.

-How your game loop functions (ie how do generalize troop abilities)
    The classes are created with a combination of the Decorator/Strategy Patterns coupled with some Tensors for move-trees. This way moves and animations can be assigned
    arbitrarily. All of the Attacks , Searches, Effects, etc are batched to a templated delegate system that executes any desired function across any desired partition of the board.
    It takes me less than an hour to completely finish a new Unit. All that is required are assets(animations,sfx,models) which you've already made.

-How well documented it is
    All commented with a version control(git).

Is your Unity SRPG engine shared/open source by chance that I could look at?
    Unfortunately, it isn't. It's being used to run our game which is due on Steam for Early Access August 4th. I just wouldn't mind helping create another TAO while I have the free-time(till May). I can send you a Key to my game if you'd like to see. All I'd have to do is turn off the real-time code,over-watch system,push mechanics, etc and it'd just be a regular SRPG. So I would, with your blessing:
    1 Take any assets/ccharacter types you made and turn it into a Unity version.
    2 Release it on Steam for free.
    3 Just ask that a Patreon be supplied to pay for the servers.
    4 Add new Content over time.
    In just this month I've added 8 new Units in the build I'm working on. To give you a scope:
    HammerKnight, Spearman, Trap-Setter, Mime, Sealing Ward, Thunder Ward, BomberMan(lol), Ogre.
    Each unit at a minimum has 4 abilities with potentially 2 over-watches.

Of course if you plan to release a commercial build then I understand if you don't commit to a rebuild.

EDIT: Do you know of anyone with the original models from TAO? A long shot, but I'd love to have those.

Cool sounds like a good design (and your game looks super cool!). Though I'm not going to commit to a Unity port at this time, maybe I'll look into it later.

From what I know, the original TAO didn't have models in it, I think everything was just GIFs. There's an archive site that holds a lot of the old TAO information, it may have some the old graphics. Though I'd venture to guess it'd be copyright infringement to use them. I think hulky told me about it a bit ago. Here's a link: https://web.archive.org/web/20080208...ena.com/units/

BrutalRage has everything TAO related. I mean everything. You can probably contact him through Facebook.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Thanks for the link! I really missed the models and at the least just want a local copy of them. I can still give you a key to my game if you'd like. Whenever you want to commit to the port just let me know. It wouldn't take me more than 2 weeks. I just don't wanna go implementing without your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    BrutalRage has everything TAO related. I mean everything. You can probably contact him through Facebook.
    How often is he on here? Did he make a thread for it?

Quote Originally Posted by AllFatherGray View Post
    How often is he on here? Did he make a thread for it?
    He isn't on here, if you search the names in the Facebook group, you'll find him. I think his name is Dave Clark. This is his website: http://taorankings.com/

And this is the game he shelved for now: http://www.taorankings.com/html5/

Thanks a lot! He has everything!

Quote Originally Posted by AllFatherGray View Post
    Thanks a lot! He has everything!
    Who? Hulky or BrutalRage?

BR made his game identical to TAO and very close to UnitofTime's. I don't think he was planning on changing very much from the original. A lot of people would be interested in a game more similar to TAO.

Thread Information