Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Alpha Release of new Tactics-Style Game!

I meant BrutalRage. If I could get into contact with him I wouldn't mind helping make a TAO game.

Try reaching out and sending a message on Facebook.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Any updates on the progress of this project?

Ah sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy (moving and a new job) and haven't had time to work on much recently, but I think things are settling so I should have a bit more time in the near future. This is definitely something that I would like to finish and eventually put out an official release, but that seems slightly far off now. For now I'm going to focus on adding new characters when I have time, and thinking of a new name for the game. Thanks for reading!

Unit of Time would seeing the TAO actionscript codes help? I think the main thing missed from your game is blocking if I remember right, but especially after your art redo it's a really awesome project.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    Unit of Time would seeing the TAO actionscript codes help? I think the main thing missed from your game is blocking if I remember right, but especially after your art redo it's a really awesome project.
    Thank for the feedback. I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like the art - that took a while for me to figure this iteration out.

As for the actionscript code, I don't think that would help all that much. However, let's talk about blocking because my game does have blocking - It's just different than what the original TAO has (And is currently up for debate if needed). Let me preface this next bit by saying that I didn't start this project to make a TAO clone - rather I was trying for a game which incorporated feedback from the community (You guys) and had some ideas that I had thought up, but still built upon the foundation that TAO presented. One of those ideas I had was a more deterministic game (ie less randomness), and part of creating that was changing blocking, basically the less RNG's you have in your game the more it comes down to player skill winning the game rather than lucky. But if having the blocking system that I have now just sucks and is a huge turn-off to the community - then I'd be fine changing it.

Let me know if you have strong opinions on the blocking system that you would like.

As for features that my game is missing, in the priority that I am pursuing them:
    1. ELO system - This is in my current unreleased build
    2. Gold generation from winning (to buy new troops) - This is in my current unreleased build
    3. Super cool (I think) splash screen and better menu environment - This is in my current unreleased build
    4. New characters (I'm kinda just creating characters/abilities then I'll see what sticks) - In progress (but I love suggestions if you guys have them!)
    5. Ability to swap characters out of your board lineup with characters on your "bench" - In Progress
    6. ELO based matchmaking
    7. Ability to undo moves
    8. TBD

Thanks for reading!

Wizzy and I just played a game and the damage reduction blocking was pretty cool. Only issue was the pop up in stats blocks the top left corners in game. You can still attack them but it's hard to know what is lethal and whatnot if you cursor over before making your thoughts for the turn.

Also listing who is online in the lobby instead of generic 3 players in lobby would be nice. For example Wizzy and I finished a game and there was a third in lobby and we didn't know it was burnout until he said something.

Buying new troops might be a lot of work to keep the balance. It's a good idea though.

Line of Sight was a huge strategic thing in TAO, and the archer seems to not have that here. It's fine either way, but confusing to people from TAO to make the switch. Assassin seems underpowered (old one hit all four tiles not just one, in a + shape [front back side to side]).

When in game in the bottom right there is "?" is that Avatars? If so how do you set your avatar?

A calculator for damage on the side would also be useful so people don't have to do the math. (example at the top here: http://greatlakes.taorankings.com/play/)

Awesome game.
    Last edited by Hulky; 06-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.

just played my first game and these are my thoughts:

-blocking needs to be increased all around
    -Barrier is incredibly broken; range needs to be reduced, you shouldn't be able to move with it and there should be a means of breaking the focus of the barrier
    -Enchantress is incredibly broken as well; see Barrier comments
    -you should be able to target a blank space
    -overall balance of the characters is pretty poor, I think you need to re-tool a lot of the characters. Not trying to make it exactly the same as TAO, so not going to tell you how, but I think using the TAO guidelines are a pretty good move

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. You honestly won't hurt my feelings and can only improve the game by giving feedback in these early stages of development. To address everyone's points:

Hulky:
    • I'll try and have a 'whose in lobby' box in my next release build
    • I will improve the HUD for showing how much damage a selected character will do when moved. I'll also try and eventually add a way to undo moves (that was also requested)
    • LOS for scout/archer was something that I couldn't remember how it worked from the original TAO so I rolled my own little algorithm to do it. The noticeable differences are that: (1) there are no trick shots (ie clicking somewhere else and doing damage elsewhere, I think that would be poorly understood by newer players) and (2) my LOS blocks more than TAO's did I think. So Hulky, Wizzy and Burnout and I discussed having a GA type character who could do easy damage past LOS. We can obviously discuss this more if we think the new algorithm is too restrictive.
    • The "?" Icons when you are ingame will eventually be customizable avatar icons. Still on my Todo list so everyone is a questionmark for now.
    • I'm hoping to not have an explicit calculator, but rather some sort of text popup on the board which will assist with how much damage you will do. Still a Todo

Wizzy:
    • Yeah, the character stats popup is super in the way right now. It's hard to scale non-vector graphics and have them still look good so I'm still looking for a solution so that screen resolution isn't fixed for the game!
    • For your other points I lumped them in with Hulky's bullet list

Maverik:
    • Blocking: So there is no more RNG blocking in this game (could be changed) - It's now all percentage based damage reduction, but I felt the damage reduction was fairly balanced or maybe even too drastic in some cases (knight)
    • Barrier is broken: Haha yeah so I've heard. There have been talks of changing it to be a single cast shield that you can move with but pops after one attack and decays after 3 turns. What do you think? Up for discussion though.
    • Enchantress I could add focus to, she's definitely a little OP right now.
    • Targeting blank spaces: What characters do you want to target blank spaces with, and why?
    • Overall balance is poor: Happy to retool characters where there is inbalance so that everyone is a viable character to use. Could you list a few characters that are out of balance (besides the BW/Chanty you already listed)? I did however use TAO as a general guideline to follow when I created my characters.

I think I got everything. Let me know if I missed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfTime View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. You honestly won't hurt my feelings and can only improve the game by giving feedback in these early stages of development. To address everyone's points:

Hulky:
    • LOS for scout/archer was something that I couldn't remember how it worked from the original TAO so I rolled my own little algorithm to do it. The noticeable differences are that: (1) there are no trick shots (ie clicking somewhere else and doing damage elsewhere, I think that would be poorly understood by newer players) and (2) my LOS blocks more than TAO's did I think. So Hulky, Wizzy and Burnout and I discussed having a GA type character who could do easy damage past LOS. We can obviously discuss this more if we think the new algorithm is too restrictive.

Maverik:
    • Blocking: So there is no more RNG blocking in this game (could be changed) - It's now all percentage based damage reduction, but I felt the damage reduction was fairly balanced or maybe even too drastic in some cases (knight)
    • Barrier is broken: Haha yeah so I've heard. There have been talks of changing it to be a single cast shield that you can move with but pops after one attack and decays after 3 turns. What do you think? Up for discussion though.
    • Enchantress I could add focus to, she's definitely a little OP right now.
    • Targeting blank spaces: What characters do you want to target blank spaces with, and why?
    • Overall balance is poor: Happy to retool characters where there is inbalance so that everyone is a viable character to use. Could you list a few characters that are out of balance (besides the BW/Chanty you already listed)? I did however use TAO as a general guideline to follow when I created my characters.

I think I got everything. Let me know if I missed anything.
    re: targeting blank spaces - has to do with LoS, I actually think the TAO LoS was very good and I think yours takes away a lot of competitive aspects

if you create the game targeted to not overwhelm new players, your threshold for keeping players interested is going to be very low

I think the highlighted part in red is really, really bad and would definitely dissuade me from playing

for Barrier/Enchantress, allowing for having successive targets is a really bad feature as well

I think indefinite, single cast targets that have a limiting factor (ie. for Barrier, target can't move; for Enchantress, she can't move while in focus) is much more balanced.

re: retooling the characters - not sure if the board is the same size as TAO's was, but the ranges all seem off-balance, I think the ranges need to be adjusted or board size needs to be increased. I think range should be reduced and board should be a bit bigger.

I'll play a few more games and give you more feedback, but I think the damage reduction should be increased overall as well. The game I played with Wizzy was really short/quick and rather uninteresting. Didn't feel like there were very many difficult decisions to be made.
    Last edited by Maverik; 06-25-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Thread Information