Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball

Man, I still can't get over losing. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I genuinely thought Duke was going to win a championship this year. Some years you just feel like things are going to fall into place. I remember thinking that in 2015, the way that team finished the season on a tear, but lost in the semis of the ACC tourney - but were able to rest up for a week and came out super strong on the first weekend and were able to mow through teams (close games against Utah and then Wiscy in the final, but some real blowouts in between). In 2010, I went to Greensboro and watched that Duke team win the ACC tourney, and they had such good leadership with Singler and Scheyer and Nolan Smith, and just the way they were playing that week it felt like no one could beat them. And sure enough, they marched to the final and eeked out that win over Butler.

I had that same sort of feeling about this team. I know they struggled at times and they were far from perfect, but it just felt like Bagley and Carter were so dominant inside and I was sure Grayson's confidence would grow through the first couple games and he would deliver when needed. Obviously anything can happen, Duke could have lost to Rhode Island or something with a bad game - but in my gut I just felt like they were going to put it together. I didn't feel that last year, I didn't feel it with Ingram's team, with Kyrie's team - what I'm saying is it's not just about me thinking our talent is superior to other teams, because obviously Duke consistently has amazing draft classes. Like I said, I had to leave at halftime and just checked the score a few times. With all my heart I just expected them to win (even against a team like Kansas) and I wasn't really worried about it. When I saw that 3 point lead under a minute, I wasn't surprised at all, and I just sort of expected it to be over in another minute. I probably watched replays of Grayson's shot a dozen times last night, and it hurts so much to watch.

I don't know what this post was supposed to be.

Yeah I mean I had Duke winning it all in my bracket. It was pretty easy to see them winning it all. That zone was weak though. Very easy to get good looks against it but really only UNC and KU carved it up. And yes I would say KU dismantled it. Missed a lot of good looks, as did Duke to be fair but this was never one of the great Duke shooting teams.

Don't get me started on that Duke Wisconsin game though... Wiscy got jobbed.

Anyway Duke will be right back in position next year with this absurd recruiting class.

The shooting was the most disappointing part of this team down the stretch. Allen shot 42% from deep his sophomore year, then never really found that stroke again. He started this year off really well, but shot only 31% in conference play. Trent shot 47% from deep in December, 55% in January(!), 41% in February, then only 31% in March. O'Connell early in the year looked like he would become a reliable bench shooter, but seemed to lose all his confidence in the second half of ACC play and K couldn't afford to have him on the floor much if he wasn't shooting it well. Duke shot 24% from deep against Kansas - that's just not good enough. And a lot of those were open looks in good sets or in transition or off of offensive rebounds. And no one could make shots.

Quote Originally Posted by KBHoleN1 View Post
    Man, I still can't get over losing. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I genuinely thought Duke was going to win a championship this year. Some years you just feel like things are going to fall into place. I remember thinking that in 2015, the way that team finished the season on a tear, but lost in the semis of the ACC tourney - but were able to rest up for a week and came out super strong on the first weekend and were able to mow through teams (close games against Utah and then Wiscy in the final, but some real blowouts in between). In 2010, I went to Greensboro and watched that Duke team win the ACC tourney, and they had such good leadership with Singler and Scheyer and Nolan Smith, and just the way they were playing that week it felt like no one could beat them. And sure enough, they marched to the final and eeked out that win over Butler.

I had that same sort of feeling about this team. I know they struggled at times and they were far from perfect, but it just felt like Bagley and Carter were so dominant inside and I was sure Grayson's confidence would grow through the first couple games and he would deliver when needed. Obviously anything can happen, Duke could have lost to Rhode Island or something with a bad game - but in my gut I just felt like they were going to put it together. I didn't feel that last year, I didn't feel it with Ingram's team, with Kyrie's team - what I'm saying is it's not just about me thinking our talent is superior to other teams, because obviously Duke consistently has amazing draft classes. Like I said, I had to leave at halftime and just checked the score a few times. With all my heart I just expected them to win (even against a team like Kansas) and I wasn't really worried about it. When I saw that 3 point lead under a minute, I wasn't surprised at all, and I just sort of expected it to be over in another minute. I probably watched replays of Grayson's shot a dozen times last night, and it hurts so much to watch.

I don't know what this post was supposed to be.
    How I feel about 1997, 2002, and 2003 Kansas teams.

And maybe the team that lost to Trey Burke and Michigan.

Jeff Capel going to Pitt. Bleacher Report is saying it's a 7-year deal, so Pitt seems serious about giving him a chance to rebuild. I think he can be successful(ish) at Pitt. His first two forays into head coaching showed he wasn't a super Xs and Os guy, but I think his latest stint on the Duke bench probably taught him a lot. I would hope he paid more attention to how K ran the entire program - knowing that he would be a head coach again some day. His recruiting is obviously terrific, he really knows how to sell guys on being a part of his (or Duke's) program. I hope (probably foolishly) that he's always recruited cleanly. I think Duke will miss his recruiting, but someone else (Nolan Smith and Jon Scheyer) will fill the void. It doesn't take a genius to convince kids to come to Duke. I have been really pleased with his ability to recruit big men, which is something Duke lacked for a while when K was running more of the recruiting show. I wish him luck, and I think he'll turn Pitt around in a few years.

I wish Frank Mason would have gone to a Final Four. He really deserved it.

You think hes gonna be something in the nba? Ive liked his polish as a backup so far.

Excited for the kansas game tn. Ive got no horse in the race, but thats an exciting matchup. Theyre both 1 seeds but it feels like david vs goliath.

Dont know anything about loyola or michigan in the slightest so I probably wont watch.

Let's go Loyola!!

Thread Information