Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: TAO Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    For all the bitching going on in this thread, 10 new lists could have been made.

Make your own list or STFU. Sick of coming to this thread with false hope.
    Who wants to man the TAO Phonebook thread? I'd do it but I don't want you guys to think I'm greedy.

Just do it. No matter who does it, its probably going to make ppl cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseballboy View Post
    Just do it. No matter who does it, its probably going to make ppl cry.
    People already cry about me enough.

Hasnt stopped you yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Baseballboy View Post
    Hasnt stopped you yet!
    Hey now! I read everything and consider it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by rainblade View Post
    Who wants to man the TAO Phonebook thread? I'd do it but I don't want you guys to think I'm greedy.
    Does this mean I get to call everybody and tell them to "Fuck Off I love you"? Then Call you a whole bunch of times everyday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
    you're OUR idiot, which is the point in the end
    Netjak win Netjak strong Netjak forever
    https://vimeo.com/user175625740 my new game recordings

Quote Originally Posted by rainblade View Post
    Hey now! I read everything and consider it fully.

Just saying that no matter what/who, its going to happen.

I’m going to repost this Top 100, mainly because I like The Butcher more than I dislike the people who are complaining. If someone besides Cliché could confirm that Tcbb and Bobcat are the same person, I’ll take one of them off. To be honest, 29 and 18 isn’t a huge difference since you’re splitting hairs with a lot of these players. I’m actually kind of happy I had them that close together considering I haven’t played either in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineLeft View Post
    50 of thems are noobs. Good effort put into the list. Nice descriptions.. Could help with some of the backgrounds likes Quicks and others..

In awe some of those people are even listed.. Kinda .. insulting to some of the better players.. solid top 8-10 for sure though.
    So which of the 50 players on this list are noobs? Please list them for me. I’m pretty interested to hear your rationale for calling those 50 players noobs considering you probably didn’t play many of them when they were at peak form.

And which great players did I omit? I’m sure I left off a lot of deserving players but I haven’t heard any names mentioned. I mean, if you’re just commenting that this list sucks, that’s fine. But if you actually want me to amend it, I need to know why a particular player deserves to be on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    This. So much this.

I don't even know how this could be done without asking the '03ers, as TAO basically had different eras in terms of game play. You'd really need to ask people who were there from the onset to get a vaguely accurate opinion on who was the best. The problem is that you're dealing with eras in terms of the early evolution of the game. I was easily top 5 for the whole game when turtles were still the go to, and BEFORE the mudquake was added, but then after the game changed drastically and I wasn't all that good and Monkus more or less took over. Then DM rushes came into play once Rev went up, then the Furgon negated it, then all out rushes took over.

Point being, you'd need to ask people who were there at the onset, and even so, you couldn't really produce a definitive list.
    You say you were “easily” a top 5 turtle player before the mud quake was added. Well I played in 2003 and I don’t remember you being a top 5 turtle player, or anywhere close to that. Darkness and Bludz (who both helped me with rankings) also played, maybe not as early as 2003 but certainly in the earlier years of TAO, and neither of them made mention of you. But I can’t remember ever playing you, so I can’t say for sure. So for the sake of argument let’s just say that you were. That would mean that you were good at playing a particular style of turtle during a pretty non-competitive era of the game for a short period of time. You were, as far as I know, not good at any other styles, and couldn’t figure out how to play with or against a mud golem after the mud quake was implemented. That doesn’t sound like a description of a top 100 player to me by the criteria that I was using when I made these rankings. It doesn’t sound like the description of a top 100 player by any reasonable criteria actually. And it definitely doesn’t sound like the résumé of a player who should be calling anyone on this list a noob.

I do agree, though, that it’s impossible to come up with 100 players for this list and make everyone happy - different eras, different units, different levels of activity, subjective criteria, etc. But I did play in 2003, and I did ask other people who played during different eras. I spent months browsing through TAO tournament history looking at records for fps vs legends tournaments, Pssts, Grand Slams, and other tournaments. I looked at tournament history and server rankings on legends. I made a huge list of more than 500 players to choose from, and I had 3 other people helping me when I actually started to rank the top 100 players. Then I revised those rankings. Then I revised them again. Then I revised them again. Then I revised them probably about 10 more times before actually posting them on forums. The point is, I did spend a lot of time on this, and I did ask other players, and I did try to use criteria that I thought was reasonable. And this was about the best I could do.

And blow me, Cliché.

I'm glad you mentioned all the work you put into it. You deserve credit for it and people who know that probably won't be so harsh.

Thanks for putting it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    And blow me, Cliché.
    You got me all wrong, dude. <3

Thread Information