Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: TAO Top 100

I think both sides of the argument have truth in them. Of course the good 2013 players would beat the good 2008 players because the game has progressed since then. This is the case for alot of things, like if i went back to the 80's i would be a pro skater along with all of my friends because it has progressed so much. I also agree with spencer 555 when he says the skill in tao is capped at a certain point and if two good players are playing their best, it will come down to luck. (If sets are neutral)

I must be missing something, but isn't Chess even more simplified? King dies, game over. At least if a Cleric lives, you have 9 other units capable of winning.

And I get that with Chess there are tons of moves and strategies to try, but there are plenty of moves with Tactics (R.I.P. ) that can be done too. Luck also augments that as good players would try not to depend on it, even if we all complain about it.

Not a chess master by any means by the way. Played it, was decent. But never more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Habeas Corpus View Post
    I think both sides of the argument have truth in them. Of course the good 2013 players would beat the good 2008 players because the game has progressed since then. This is the case for alot of things, like if i went back to the 80's i would be a pro skater along with all of my friends because it has progressed so much. I also agree with spencer 555 when he says the skill in tao is capped at a certain point and if two good players are playing their best, it will come down to luck. (If sets are neutral)
    No. You and your friends still would suck. The pros back then would take the new tricks that y'all are doing and be better at them than you are. Because they are more athletic than you are. That's why they're pros. You may have a better shot at being a pretty good skater than Vish would have at being a pretty good player if you all went back in time. This is due to the relative lack of popularity of skating back then and the relative lack of popularity to TAO later on.

Quote Originally Posted by elimination View Post
    You do know what I meant by creativity right? I'm not talking about sets, I'm talking about moves. A player who does the same exact moves that he did to win previous games is a pathetic player, while or his opponent is just pathetic for losing multiple times either way you want to spin that. A player (like afo, or prof, even you) that can consistently win games reqardless of the set advantage and be able to creatively think of new/different strategies to counteract/pull a win out of your ass without luck is a great player.
    I was responding to Blasph. +P

I still maintain that I was one of the more creative, albeit mediocre-above average players in the game. Never a great player, not shitty either, but definitely creative.

I wish I would have played more after 2012-2013. When they added the known block % on the units it changed the game style.. everyone saw the %'s and weighed the risks. The game changed. The player changed. During 2004-2008 (because 2003 was the coolest before they changed from WLD so i won't include in the garbage) anyone could beat anyone on a given day based on their play and set-up vs set-up. There were several games I came back with just a knight, scout, and pyro to beat players still with 7 plus units. (true they would fall into the lower 100 for sure for allowing this to happen but it did happen.. often)

Players pre-seeing the RNG relied on "luck" (waits for that to start argument) and players after 2012 played the math of the game. If you took quality players like ozmaj, Smubeht, Quicks, and Bottle and gave them same game as the 2012+ plus played they would consistently win.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineLeft View Post
    I wish I would have played more after 2012-2013. When they added the known block % on the units it changed the game style.. everyone saw the %'s and weighed the risks. The game changed. The player changed. During 2004-2008 (because 2003 was the coolest before they changed from WLD so i won't include in the garbage) anyone could beat anyone on a given day based on their play and set-up vs set-up. There were several games I came back with just a knight, scout, and pyro to beat players still with 7 plus units. (true they would fall into the lower 100 for sure for allowing this to happen but it did happen.. often)

Players pre-seeing the RNG relied on "luck" (waits for that to start argument) and players after 2012 played the math of the game. If you took quality players like ozmaj, Smubeht, Quicks, and Bottle and gave them same game as the 2012+ plus played they would consistently win.
    The block percentage was added around 09-10 I believe, it was around a few years before I quit in 2012/2013. Or was there a new block percentage thing I missed when I came back this past fall? It would be just like me to not notice something different lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
    you're OUR idiot, which is the point in the end
    Netjak win Netjak strong Netjak forever
    https://vimeo.com/user175625740 my new game recordings

2006 or 07 rather. Legends went down in 09 and we had it for few years by then.

Too many thoughts un-organized by me, I'll try again..I type too fast for my own good.
    I wish I had played more after 2012. I rarely did more than grey so anyone who started after I that.. I don't know their talents and couldn't really compare skill level.

When they added the %-RNG (looking at the flash files it was mid 2007) it changed the game. Players who had been around from the beginning had yet another thing to change or enhance their gameplay.

New players, that I never got to encounter really, after 2012 I cannot speak for their talents, but they did get to play a different game than the older folks. They played the math side of the game and "luck" was never something that had to play for.

Since the conversation was players in 2008 vs 2013 those were the numbers I was trying to discuss and compare and failed miserably...

So there's still a spot open. You all should nominate one player who you think deserves to be on this list. I'll take 5 of the nominees and make a poll for you all to vote on it.

Since the players that you nominate are probably players that I either overlooked or don't know much about, it would be helpful for you to state WHY you think that player should be included.

Quote Originally Posted by |AFO| View Post
    No. You and your friends still would suck. The pros back then would take the new tricks that y'all are doing and be better at them than you are. Because they are more athletic than you are. That's why they're pros. You may have a better shot at being a pretty good skater than Vish would have at being a pretty good player if you all went back in time. This is due to the relative lack of popularity of skating back then and the relative lack of popularity to TAO later on.
    Thats my point dude im saying if we time traveled back right now, not if we grew up back then. Same with 2013 players if they time traveled back to 08 they would beat 08 players. Im saying the skill level for things evolves and gets better as time goes on. You completely misunderstood me. Also the tricks nowadays would take about a year to learn no matter how athletic you are because it's mostly muscle memory. Just like the 08 players, it would probably take them a couple months to catch up to (or surpass if they have more talent/skill) 2013 players IF they went back in time and played them. It doesnt mean that the 2013 players are better than them, they just have an unfair advantage of the game being out longer and using strategies that are new.
    Last edited by Habeas Corpus; 05-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information